A500: when I grow up I want to be an A700...

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I thought I'd check out the specs on the A510. I was not happy that the fullsized USB was not there. :mad:

So I've made my decision that I will not upgrade to an A510 and ACER can bury that in their vault. So I had a look at the A700. Yes similar featured like the A510 and miniUSB too. So all things said, if I'm even thinking of upgrading it will be the A700/A701 for sure. Why take a step backwards with the A510?
:rolleyes:
That is my opinion!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Many would say why do you need a full sized USB port? According to the cnet review "Acer includes two accessory cables to help fill out the A510 feature set: a Micro-USB-to-USB cable and a Micro-USB-to-female-USB dongle. The latter takes the place of an actual full USB port, which I guess is better than no port at all, but the idea of carrying around a extra dongle with your tablet just seems kind of silly."
Yes I also realize this is sort of silly but it is a tablet and it seems for most overall size trumps ports and it isn't like there is no USB at all. Most tablets don't even include the adapter but make you buy it.

Just another opinion ;)

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Many would say why do you need a full sized USB port? According to the cnet review "Acer includes two accessory cables to help fill out the A510 feature set: a Micro-USB-to-USB cable and a Micro-USB-to-female-USB dongle. The latter takes the place of an actual full USB port, which I guess is better than no port at all, but the idea of carrying around a extra dongle with your tablet just seems kind of silly."
Yes I also realize this is sort of silly but it is a tablet and it seems for most overall size trumps ports and it isn't like there is no USB at all. Most tablets don't even include the adapter but make you buy it.

Just another opinion ;)
Suppose so. With all that extra inconvenience and the release of the A700 in May, the specs are excellent even though it has miniusb. HD screen.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The A700 is my next tablet too. It really looks like an awesome tab.

As for the USB port, yeah, that was one of the key draws to the A500, the availability of standard ports so you can slap a thumb drive or mouse/keyboard dongle into it an use it without wires or converters.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I thought I'd check out the specs on the A510. I was not happy that the fullsized USB was not there. :mad:

So I've made my decision that I will not upgrade to an A510 and ACER can bury that in their vault. So I had a look at the A700. Yes similar featured like the A510 and miniUSB too. So all things said, if I'm even thinking of upgrading it will be the A700/A701 for sure. Why take a step backwards with the A510?
That is my opinion!

Thank you, Douvie! Maybe the lack of a full sized usb port isn't that important to some people, but it was a deal breaker for me yesterday, and your post helped me make my decision. I was going to sell my A500 to a family member yesterday, then put in a little more money and buy an A510. I did my normal research before making big decisions, and saw this post of yours. I decided not to get it, partly because of the usb cable you have to keep track of and plug in when you want to use it, and partly because it is just coming out and I hesitate to buy the first items of costly electronics on the market until they're proven. I'm so glad I made this decision because after installing ICS this morning, it's almost like getting a smoother tablet with a little more powerful cpu. I will keep my A500 for now and probably get the A700 sometime down the road.

pafik

Jan 29, 2012
tHi -> Douvie

How do you know ... a700 release in May..... !?
what i do know... a700 still no date release, or cut'be in began september.
No release date and the pricing of Acer Iconia Tab A700 was announced and we will learn more about

The company kept quiet then, refusing to confirm or deny the tablets' existence. Last night, the company was similarly quiet, revealing little else about the tablet a700, and saying nothing about a price or projected release date. However, after this little taster, we're sure folks will be flocking to the company's booth to try to squeeze more information out of the representatives on duty. We'll let you know if anyone at Acer caves and lets the cat out of the bag.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
tHi -> Douvie

How do you know ... a700 release in May..... !?
what i do know... a700 still no date release, or cut'be in began september.
No release date and the pricing of Acer Iconia Tab A700 was announced and we will learn more about

The company kept quiet then, refusing to confirm or deny the tablets' existence. Last night, the company was similarly quiet, revealing little else about the tablet a700, and saying nothing about a price or projected release date. However, after this little taster, we're sure folks will be flocking to the company's booth to try to squeeze more information out of the representatives on duty. We'll let you know if anyone at Acer caves and lets the cat out of the bag.

Well I did some investigation. Of course ACER won't let this cat out of the bag. The A700, because of its specs, will be the most advanced tablet on the market - it will trump every tablet ever produced by any tablet maker. The high specs will put ACER back on the lead - with this sort of weapon do you think ACER would want to jump the gun. It is all a marketing ploy. They may delay the release date and only come out in September. But ACER will be looking for the competative edge on their competition - the world of business wars. The tablet does exist - evidence: they won't confirm or deny even after they released a prototype for the media's lip-wetting-session.

I'll wait for the A700 - even if it is 8 months away. However, I don't believe that is the case.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
The A700 is my next tablet too. It really looks like an awesome tab.

As for the USB port, yeah, that was one of the key draws to the A500, the availability of standard ports so you can slap a thumb drive or mouse/keyboard dongle into it an use it without wires or converters.

I wonder how long a mini USB port would last as compared to a fullsize USB port with the constant plugging and un-plugging. I can see a problem. As Frapshake said now one has to keep track of another cable. Definitely a -1 on ACER there.

But it just my opinion!

pafik

Jan 29, 2012
Hi -> Douvie

Ok.., september is not so far away, 4months, we will see.... !
I can't wait for the a700..., and a510 have allmost same specification, i hope next week i can get it.... ! :cool:

barskin

Mar 5, 2012

That is my opinion!

Just before I bought my A500, I thought that maybe I should wait for the 510, but then I thought that would mean
1) I wouid actually have to wait

and the clincher

2) there was no full sized USB port.

I agree with you, Douvie: No USB = deal breaker!

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I'd much rather have a real USB port than a mini and a cable. If you are going to do a thing, do it all the way, not half-assed. I hope Acer keeps it on the A700...and I hope that shows up soon.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Hi -> Douvie

Ok.., september is not so far away, 4months, we will see.... !
I can't wait for the a700..., and a510 have allmost same specification, i hope next week i can get it.... ! :cool:

Not really the same specs.

The multitouch screen even though it will be 10.1 inches, the resolution will be 1920*1080p. (p24, p30, p50 & p60)

Total on board storage will be 64GB ( will be available in 16, 32 & 64).

It will still have 1GB RAM as working RAM. And thus far still mention of a TEGRA 3 CPU but there was something radically different between A700 and the A510. From the write up on various PC magazine articles and elsewhere the difference between the 2 was so substantial that as far as the A700 was concerned the A510 couldn't come close.