After update wifi will not connect!

Discussion in 'Acer Iconia Tab A500 Forum' started by badbehavior, Jul 6, 2011.

1. badbehavior

badbehavior Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    acer a500
    So after I received the ota update today, it will not connect to my wifi network. My laptop connects my Thunderbolt connects fine but my A500 will say scanning, then when I try to connect it will loop over and over, obtaining- authenticating- connecting- scanning, and never actually connect. I tried deleting the network and re-adding it, I reset the Tab I restarted the wifi network but still no luck. Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?
  2. Icebike

Icebike Member

Shut down router.
    Forget the router in the Acer.
    Shut off acer.
    Reboot router.
    Reboot acer
    Let it scan for new networks, and pick yours from the list.

All of above in that order.

Note that if your router does not have a unique name (some thing other than "Linksys" for example) things
    can get confusing.
    For best results, set router to WPA2, and don't let anyone tell you any other security mode is just as
    good. Avoid WEP by all means, not just because its insecure, but because there is an industry wide
    mis-configuration issue with web security that many android devices are starting to drop wep support
    that is configured in a specific way.
  3. badbehavior

badbehavior Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    acer a500

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I tried that and it still goes into the loop Obtaining- Authenticating- back to scanning. I am using WPA2, I also tried to use my Thunderbolt as a 4g hot spot which I have used before as well and it does the same thing when trying to connect to that! Very frustrating! Before the update I never had an issue connecting to any network. I didn't root this device because I wanted to avoid any issues with it being a somewhat new device and now I have a basically useless device, I use it mainly to watch videos and check emails write memos for work.... Am I the only one with this type of issue??
  4. LegendaryGamer

LegendaryGamer Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
    Yes I'm having the same problem myself after updating to 3.1. :( I thought it might be my router since I have it set-up where only certain devices I put on it's list to detect. I figure the update may re configured the IP address on the Iconia though all my other devices hook up just fine. I hope there is a fix for this.
  5. LegendaryGamer

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
    I'm gonna address this problem to Acer. I really like this tablet but these issues with Honeycomb are a pain.
  6. whitesideentp

whitesideentp Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
    I am in desperate need of help. My Acer A500 is doing the same thing. After I updated to 3.1 it wont allow me to connect to wifi network I have always used in the past. I have tried the above method but that doesnt fix it. Somebody please tell me what I need to do to have this fixed.
  7. Laowai

Laowai Junior Member

but it connects.... at least
    by the way, typing on my Acer in this forum is aeeehhm not so fun, my keybpard lags like crazy.

anyway, my Wifi connection is constantly dropping after the update, again i am on a Wep network, after the connection drops i switch to airplane mode and back on again and i am back in business.
    still annoying though
  8. Indroid

Indroid Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer A500
    I updated my A500 this morning to 3.1 and I'm having the same problem of not connecting to my wifi. It goes into a loop of scanning-connecting-obtaining IP address and then gives up after a few tries. If anybody figured out this problem - Please help!
  9. josepdin

josepdin Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    iphone, lg optimus s, acer a500 tablet
    I didn't notice any problem at home and used my A500 better part of the evening. When I got to work and tried to re-establish connection with a known AP, it goes through the same cycle everyone else is describing. Tried the Airplane mode workaround, no luck. Tried forgetting all of the networks here and reconfigure, no luck there either.

Looks like it could be a WPA problem. My home is not encrypted and works, none of the encrypted networks at work connect. I can't get it to connect to my Optimus S hotspot either. I may try to configure it as an open network and retry just to confirm my suspicions.
  10. josepdin

josepdin Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    BINGO! The problem is the WPA. I changed my Optimus S to OPEN and I connected instantly. Now, who knows how we report this and how to get a fix ASAP?
  11. josepdin

josepdin Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    I jumped to conclusions. The OPEN workaround did not fix the problem. I got an initial connect and then it started the polling activity again. Question still stands: How do we get ACER and Google to fix the problem ASAP?
  12. wolfganggold

wolfganggold Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
    Add me to this depressing list... I have 3 different routers at work and I was connected to one of them yesterday before and after the update. I went home last night and connected there fine too. I rebooted the acer at one point at home but was still connected afterwards. All my routers are WPA.

Today, I can't connect to any of the three at work. It goes into the same loop as described above. I've rebooted all the routers, rebooted the acer, forgotten and re-added the connections, all to no avail. Here's hoping I'm still working when I get home tonight!
  13. jscammell

jscammell Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500 Tablet
    Add me to this list too. I've tried 4 different networks ranging from no security (open) to WPA and WEP, but still won't connect. I've also rebooted, forgot & retried to connect, all to no avail. Has anyone though of contacting ACER directly for this? I hope so. It's probably going to be a buggy file. I've heard that this happened to a few others who tried other ROMs on their tablets.
  14. Futant55

Futant55 Junior Member

I am experiencing the same thing. I regret going to 3.1, hopefully this will be fixed soon.
  15. jscammell

jscammell Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500 Tablet
    **Update**
    So I got my tablet through Rent-A-Center, and because of that ACER support flat-out refused to support this issue. When I call the RAC customer support she happily admitted that it is an issue and that they have received a few calls about it already. Unfortunately all they can do is have me bring it in to the store for a return to the service department. The ACER rep, "Vineeth" only continued on to say that I need to do what RAC says because only they can offer me support. This is completely inadequate customer service on ACER's part. Let's keep this topic on top so that ACER realizes that we tried to tell them there was a problem.
  16. wolfganggold

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
    I'm on hold with tier 2 support right now...

They said they've fixed it by doing a factory reset. Not really happy to do that, but I'll take one for the team and let you guys know if it works...
  17. wolfganggold

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
    Well, the factory reset worked. I sure wish there was a hotfix patch they could send out because it's gonna suck redownloading all my apps, not to mention having to start all over in angry birds! :)
  18. LegendaryGamer

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
  19. LegendaryGamer

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
    LOL well I'm late on this.
  20. ridge

ridge Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    iconia 500
    i have the same problem !!!!!!!!!! i wonder how many more people cant connect to wi fi after this update ???????