Aishuo S2 - to buy or not to buy?

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Mixu..
My S2 is charging ..but I did a bit with it before I plugged it in. I have none of the issues that you are experiencing ..so far, anyway. I will post more impressions later.

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
BREAKTROUGH, almost literally. I was so frustrated that decided to take risk and open the tablet. Simple operation, open 3 screws and crack backlid open with your fingernails.

- Inside can be found 4Gt MicroSD card, I took it off and placed back, checked few connectors, none was loose. Then pressed power on...and voila, it's alive!!! No idea what was causing problems, but at this point I really don't care :D

Now charging, and then I finally can begin to play with this, after two nerve wrecking weeks.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
I may have spoke to soon. I left the device in standby through the night, and of course the battery was dead when I woke.

It is charging back up ..says 99% after about 2 hours, but the screen is not acting right at all ...live wallpaper all muddled ..color off badly in jpegs, especially in darker areas of picture.

Guess this is part of buying a Chinese tablet. I will get it worked out or back she goes.

Any consoling thoughts while I bite my nails?

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
Welcome to the club..seen that too. Actually 15 min ago. But on bright side I spent today many hours to set things up, installed programs, used net and so on. I believe tablet starts occasionally to recovery/safe mode or something like that. When I get that screen (I've posted picture of it to McBub), power down, wait 5-10 min, start, everything fine. I still have faith that it is not hardware, but firmware causing all this sh*t. Appears only when starting, doesn't suddenly go like that when in use.

I think we should moan for firmware update (and how to install it) from McBub. I don't know how to install it from SD card. I do have "refresh file.zip" from them, I asked how to flash, but no answer yet. Flashing my Android phones was easy since I know which buttons to press during start up, i.e power + volume up.

Let's not give up, I think when running as it should, S2 is ok value for the money. Allthough nothing to compare, this is my first tablet

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Just got in from the road ..tab charging all day. It is back to good.

I too like the tablet. The build quality is way ahead of one I sent back. From what I read ..most of these tabs from China have issues to work out. Might as well work it out with this one if we can.

I am gong to load Pro Launcher back on, and just enjoy it for a day or so till I try anything else ..but an update in the future sure looks to be a necessarily. Unless I mis-read it ..ICS is in the works for this tab. Maybe that is when we will get the update.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
I have loaded a few things back on, and all is well. Battery seems ot be lasting well ..will test better later.

Mixu ..I wonder why there is a phone icon on this tab. I guess that means it will make calls with a dongle. Odd thing is ..that when I download apps from the Market it says 'T Mobile Unknown Full Android S5PV210'.

Lot here ...will take some time ..so far ..so good. Hope yours is straight ..Mixu.

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
Things quite ok, wifi drops sometimes and forces to restart, otherwise ok gadget. I had a mail conversation with McBub today...I'm having difficulties to get them understand that device won't boot from SDcard with update in it. Android is not Windows which start from cd or usb.. I recommended them to google "android recovery screen". Unbeliavable that they keep telling me this

and this is the flash firmware method:

1.Format the new Micro SD card (FAT32)
2. Extract archive to Micro SD CARD (so a directory SD:\FirmwareInstall is present and the file wmt_scriptcmd in the sd root) on your laptop or desktop.
3. Turn off your laptop.
4. Insert the card.
5. Turn on your tablet.
6. Follow instruction.
7. Enjoy a better tablet.
please try this method.

Zip file they send don't have those two files, I told them that, answer was "you don't need them". I tried method above, it doesn't work. Which I knew already. Now they can't tell how to get S2 in recovery mode...I kindly asked to figure that out and then get back to me.

I'm gonna root this someday, but not right now...spent too many hours trying to get this far. Tablet works well enough at the moment, and don't risk with rooting gone bad unless firmware update can't be done.

About dongle, I've tried Option 3G dongle, did not regognize...If I recall right Huawei is most likely work. But using as a phone...? Does this have microphone?

I believe icons are what they are, they just don't bother to customize standard Android.

Last edited:

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Yes. It has a mic ..have not set it up or tried it yet.

Curious ..MiXu. Are you still seeing any issues with the screen? Mine will occasionally go grey and colors are mottled (or not there at all). This seems to happen if there is an event ..such as when I reset the device to factory defaults or the battery gets too low.

Post back. It will all get straight soon.

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
Now I'm really blown away...McBub's customer service called me!!!

I've meiling with one person from McBub, and recent issue has been "how to start to recovery?" I've written many times that S2 does not start with same button combination as other models (816,820). They finally believed me.

Caller said that they will contact manufacturer and get back to me after that. I send them pictures of the screen with bad colors, and told that wifi hangs time to time.

If we get update with instrucions to install it, things look much much better. Then will be much safer to try rooting and other things without risk bricking.

I'll get back after McBub contacts me.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
That sounds good. I look forward to be being able to root this tablet and get it to do all it can.

I have about figured that if I just quit trying to mod my tablet a lot (as I tend to do) ..it works fine. This last long charge (it was down to 13%) brought the screen back to life, and it has kept it's composure through a couple of more charges.

General note on tablet. I am appreciating it more and more as I use it. It is thin and not too big in it's other dimensions. I have noted other 8" 4x3 tablets where there is a lot of area around the actual usable screen ..thus making it bigger overall. I like the small size of the S2.

Just my 2c. :)

Last edited:

mansbach

Dec 13, 2011
hello

my name is ron

i have 2 aishou s2 with 1024x768

i have 1 problem

the tablet from time to time go to "recent screen" with all the recent activiteis and i cant use it
i have to close it

some times even that not helping

i buy the tablet from seller in aliexpress (not mcbub) and i try to connect direct with aishoymid but still i dont know what to do

can you help?

thanks

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Not sure. Hopefully Mixu will get his straight ..and then we will be able to follow his lead. He has got some response from McBub. I have not yet.

I have tried this, and you might try it for your situation. Go into 'Settings', then 'Privacy' and do the 'Factory data reset'. I am not sure if that will do anything for yours, but it can't hurt ..seeing the pickle you are in. Of course, you do this on your own.

Hopefully we will have an answer soon. My screen has reverted back to grey and mottled color again. I am charging it back to full agin, as that usually will fix mine for a spell.

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
Just a quick post so You can grap firmware for S2. I installed this, but I think there's nothing new. Same version as original, but at least we have backup for the tablet.

To get to recovery screen You have to push pinhole button next to power and power same time few seconds, then appears screen with triangle and Android logo. After that push pinhole button again, I'm not quite sure how did I ended to recovery, but with those two buttons it's done. I'll get back to that when I have more .
time. I believe You can figure that out using different variations with those buttons.

Link to the file MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Rename that to "update.zip" and put the zip file in external SDcard. When in recovery screen, use pinhole to cycle options in screen and power to confirm Your choice. If updating, choose "update from sdcard and go to the root of the card where You have copied "update.zip"

That I got from McBub. Still waiting news about updated firmware.

So I'll get back later, now other things keep me occupied.

MiXu

Dec 2, 2011
Quick question.
Is your screen back to what it should be?

Thanks

My screen acts as before, when tablet is shut down at least 10 min, starts like it should. Continuos restarting, always grey screen. So I don't shut down unless it's a must. Sleep mode rules.