Android App From Amazon

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
JP, doesn't Verna need just one micro sd card? He definetely should do a bootable cm7 ,so muh easier since he said he hasn'T used his Pc in a while.
@Verna, wellcome ,you are in great hands and if you like it "simple" as I do, follow the second link that JP gave you,the one about the bootable CM7, it's easy and you are going to love it.

gloria
Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
JP, doesn't Verna need just one micro sd card? He definetely should do a bootable cm7 ,so muh easier since he said he hasn'T used his Pc in a while.
@Verna, wellcome ,you are in great hands and if you like it "simple" as I do, follow the second link that JP gave you,the one about the bootable CM7, it's easy and you are going to love it.

gloria
Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Gloria and JP I got my cards, just don't know if I am going to be able to do this or not. I guess I just don't really understand what everything is saying. I need plain English. Anyway here is what I have downloaded so far, please tell me if I need all of these and I sure would appreciate someone walking me thru this step by step if at all possible. Please.

4gb_clockwork-3.0.2.8
win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.3-r27-binary
generic-sdcard-v1.3.img

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Gloria and JP I got my cards, just don't know if I am going to be able to do this or not. I guess I just don't really understand what everything is saying. I need plain English. Anyway here is what I have downloaded so far, please tell me if I need all of these and I sure would appreciate someone walking me thru this step by step if at all possible. Please.

4gb_clockwork-3.0.2.8
win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.3-r27-binary
generic-sdcard-v1.3.img

That is a good start. The next question you have to ask is what you want to do with your Nook.

You can create a ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) card. Then You can backup the original stock just as it is now so you can always go back to your setup just as you have it now (there are files available to return it to stock so you don't have to do this but you will lose any changes you have made, like an email account setup). You can also use this card to flash a custom ROM onto your internal memory replacing the stock setup. Creating this backup card is a good idea if you plan on experimenting with different Nook setups.

1. You can root your Nook which will leave the Barnes & Noble setup intact but open it up to more Android features such as third party apps and the Google and Amazon App Stores. This is good if you like the features of the stock Nook in favor of losing some of the better tablet features custom ROMs provide.

2. You can install a custom ROM that will completely replace the default B&N system. These custom ROMs are more directly built off of Android and giver you a much more pure Android experience than the B&N ROM. They also offer tablet tweaks to make your Nook more usable as a tablet as well as performance tweaks allowing you Nook to run faster.

3. You can create a bootable micro SD card that allows you to run a custom ROM when the card is inserted and run the stock Nook, a rooted Nook or a different custom ROM from the internal memory of the Nook when not inserted.

#1. is best for people who like the B&N setup but want more functionality, #2. is best for people who just want to turn the Nook into a great tablet and aren't concerned about keeping the default Nook features and #3. is best for people who want the security of leaving their stock Nook alone, like the stock Nook features from time to time or just want to be able to run more than one option from their Nook.

Decide what you want to do and then we can help you get setup that way.

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
That is a good start. The next question you have to ask is what you want to do with your Nook.

You can create a ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) card. Then You can backup the original stock just as it is now so you can always go back to your setup just as you have it now (there are files available to return it to stock so you don't have to do this but you will lose any changes you have made, like an email account setup). You can also use this card to flash a custom ROM onto your internal memory replacing the stock setup. Creating this backup card is a good idea if you plan on experimenting with different Nook setups.

1. You can root your Nook which will leave the Barnes & Noble setup intact but open it up to more Android features such as third party apps and the Google and Amazon App Stores. This is good if you like the features of the stock Nook in favor of losing some of the better tablet features custom ROMs provide.

2. You can install a custom ROM that will completely replace the default B&N system. These custom ROMs are more directly built off of Android and giver you a much more pure Android experience than the B&N ROM. They also offer tablet tweaks to make your Nook more usable as a tablet as well as performance tweaks allowing you Nook to run faster.

3. You can create a bootable micro SD card that allows you to run a custom ROM when the card is inserted and run the stock Nook, a rooted Nook or a different custom ROM from the internal memory of the Nook when not inserted.

#1. is best for people who like the B&N setup but want more functionality, #2. is best for people who just want to turn the Nook into a great tablet and aren't concerned about keeping the default Nook features and #3. is best for people who want the security of leaving their stock Nook alone, like the stock Nook features from time to time or just want to be able to run more than one option from their Nook.

Decide what you want to do and then we can help you get setup that way.

I am thinking maybe #2, I still want to be able to read my books, get on the web, play games and I want to be able to put what I want on here. I also want to put my pics and music on here. Hopefully you can help me decide it #2 would be the best.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am thinking maybe #2, I still want to be able to read my books, get on the web, play games and I want to be able to put what I want on here. I also want to put my pics and music on here. Hopefully you can help me decide it #2 would be the best.

With choice #2. you will still be able to read books from B&N (as well as other sources like Amazon and Google books) but will be moving on to a true Android tablet rather than a Nook Color e-reader/tablet. In this case you will want to make the CWR card which will allow you to easily install the custom ROM. For this you will need the first two files you listed plus two additional files.

For CyogenMod7 you can find those files here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version

You want to download the 7.1.0-Encore file for Nook Color and the most recent GApps at the very bottom of the page (20110828)

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds good. I'll get the procedure posted up here for you sometime later today. Basically what you want to do is burn the 4GB Clocwork image you downloaded to the micro SD card. You may need to "unzip" this file (probably need to download something like 7zip to do this) if it is a .rar which is a type of compressed file that will uncompress into a standard zip file (do not unzip this). You then use windisk32 (right click and run as administrator) to burn the image to the micro sd card.

Once you have done that you place the CM7 and Gapps zip files you just downloaded (do not unzip) on to the micro sd card. Finally you insert that card into a powered off Nook and power on into CWR. At that point you will wipe a couple of areas and then "flash" the two zip files onto the device. Then you remove the card and reboot into your nice fresh CM7 Nook Color tablet.

This is an overview and there are threads with the specifics if you search around here. If not stand by for detailed instructions.

JP :)

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
Hi I got the card ready and put everything on it that is suppose to be there. So now I am suppose to wipe data/factory reset and cache partition?

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
I wiped the data/factory reset but now I can't do anything else. Its like it is locked up finally got it to shut off and when I booted it back on everything was still there, is that what is suppose to happen? I'm really sorry I am bothering you so much but I have never done anything like this before.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I wiped the data/factory reset but now I can't do anything else. Its like it is locked up

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. You didn't need to do a factory reset, just wipe /data and /system. It is ok though. If you can't go back a screen by tapping the power button, all you have to do is hold it until it turns off. Then hold it for a few seconds to boot up again. Then repeat the steps.

Wipe /system and /data then clear the cache partition and wipe the dalvik cache. Once you have done that (if you get stuck just power down and power up or if you get an error message continue anyway) flash the CM7 zip and then Gapps. Unmount the sd card remove and reboot.

It sounded as though you read some of the procedures on how to use CWR so this is high level explanation. If anything is unclear or your not sure let me know and I'll try to walk you through. If you need a step by step it will have to wait until I have a chance to boot into CWR to go through the exact screens.

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
thanks I will try it again and see what happens. I am really thankful to you for helping me so much.:) trying to get it done tonight I am going into hospital tomorrow morning and having surgery on my back and so I don't mean to be pushy. If I am just let me know please.

Last edited:

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
sorry just realized they are suppose to be zipped.

Im sorry but I don't know what you mean by flash the CM7 zip and then Gapps. When I scroll down to where it says update from card it then asks me Install sdcard/update.zip? I already unzipped the files I thought

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The SD card that is inserted should have two zip files on it. One for CM7 and one for Google Apps that you downloaded earlier. These apps should NOT be unzipped. Any file that you use in CWR always needs to be a zip file. This link explains CWR particularly post #2 which deals with what to do when in CWR.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/6386-how-installing-using-clockworkmod-rom-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

With the zip files on the SD card you choose the CM7 zip first then the Gapps zip instead of the kernel file in the example. Once you have flashed the zip files you go to mounts and storage and unmount the SD card them remove it. Return to the main menu and reboot. Looking at the example thread above you should see how you navigate the CWR menu and where you need to go. Wiping /system and /data isn't covered in there but you should be able to find it.

Oh and you want to install zip from sd card not update from card. Let me know if that helps.

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
sorry to bother you again but I don't have an unmount the sd card just a mount teh sd card but I do have an unmount cache, that is the only unmount showing