Android Gingerbread Now Supports 'Extra Large Screens' - Yes this Means Tablets

Discussion in 'Android Tablet News' started by xaueious, Dec 6, 2010.

1. xaueious

xaueious Administrator Staff Member

According to the updated screens support developer documentation for Android for Android 2.3 Gingerbread. This means support for big screens, officially up to 10".

'xlarge' targets screens better 7" and 10".
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Though the supported resolutions list has not been updated, it is likely that 1280x800 is one of these newly supported recommended resolutions for developers. This is new developer guidance for testing existing applications for high resolution screens.

Now that Android is more or less 'tablet ready', it looks like Samsung's close partnership with Google will make the Samsung Galaxy Tab (at 1024x600 and 7") the first standard Android 2.3 Gingerbread tablet.

Will other tablet manufacturers who have already released their devices now follow? My speculation is that many manufacturers, large or small, will continue to ignore Google Android development guidelines and release their devices with outdated versions of Android anyway. Are the features of Android 2.3 enticing enough for consumers and manufacturers to care, or will they turn a blind eye?
  2. feverhost

feverhost Moderator Staff Member

I wish I could disagree with you here, but I think you nailed that right on the head. I would bet most manufactures will continue to release Android 2.0/2.1, and some 2.2 tablets for at least 6 more months. It's a shame, but I don't see most manufactures wanting to jump onto 2.3 until it has more legs.