Annoying Constant Downloads Of Thumbnail Pix

eadollar

May 7, 2017
Every time I go into ES file I see a new download of small thumbnail pix,,,,always 4 sihlouette thumbnail pics but also a thumbnail for Hoola, yahoo email, and BeyondiPod.

I believe this has all happened since I hit the okay to update my ES file. Last night I finally uninstalled hoopla and beyond iPod hoping to stop the downloads of those thumbnails... not sure that has worked yet.

they are labeled from some long named something that begins with a B; 4 silhouettes are labelled cardcache: what is that??? do I need to uninstall and reinstall ES file?

and will I lose any data in doing that?? and what are these thumbnail pixs all about?????

Many Thanks

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Take a backup of your settings in ES File Explorer. Then uninstall the copy you have, download "ES File Explorer 4.0.2.2.apk" from XDA Developers (the link is safe), and install it. Restore the settings from the backup, and enjoy.

The new owners of ES File Explorer loaded the app with ads and unwanted features over a year ago, and what you're getting probably is a result of the app update. The copy of the app I'm having you download was re-signed by me, thus it will never auto-update in the Play Store, nor can an update downloaded from the new owners be installed over it.

Please note that because of the changed signature anti-virus and anti-malware apps may flag the modified files as malware. These are false positives and can safely be ignored.

eadollar

May 7, 2017
Thank you so much !
I remember a couple of times in the past doing what looked like updates ...something would download but would refuse to be installed. . they were called apk's. ( Or maybe I just didn't take a necessary second install step )

by the way, do you think the ES file explorer is the best file explorer for the android fire tablet?....i.e. the closest thing to Windows?... I really don't like it as much as Windows, at all.
I will go see if I can find settings and how to back them up etc. etc.
...... which raises another question: if I made no changes to settings, would I still need to back up settings and restore them ?
Thank you so much.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you're on default settings, then you don't need to back them up.

An APK is an Android executable.

If you want a Windows clone, download and install Ghisler Total Commander instead of ES File Explorer. While a fantastic app (if you have the right version) it doesn't work like Windows.

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
I, too, like ES, and haven't updated since 3.2.5.5.
Which ever version you download be sure that you disable auto-update in the play store.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@PitCarver: I have a copy of 3.2.5.5 at the same link. As for disabling auto-update, it's not necessary of you use a re-signed app, though it doesn't hurt. Since the signatures don't match it never tries downloading. Downloading a new version through the app itself would work, but would fail to install, because of the changed signature. In that case, disabling the built-in update function is best.

eadollar

May 7, 2017
I just downloaded the Ghisler Total Commander and will play with that for a while; was certainly easy to do and to get rid of the ES. I may come back to ES.
Now here's a question for you all: can you have two filesystems on the tablet at the same time?? can I use both Ghisler and ES?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Yep.

On my Galaxy S4, in order to install my copy of ES File Explorer I have to download another file manager, such as Solid Explorer or FX File Manager, since I can't install from the Play Store unless I want a bloated mess. So, although I uninstall the file manager I download from the Play Store shortly afterward, for a time I have both file managers installed and running. For most versions of Android however, you cannot display both apps at the same time.

My Nexus 6 includes a built-in file manager as it runs Android 7.1.2. It's very limited, but sufficient for me to install ES File Explorer from my internal storage. Thus I currently have two file managers installed and able to run at the same time. Though I haven't tried to run them both using the split window feature of Android 7.x.

eadollar

May 7, 2017
what Fun!
Thank you so much; I really appreciate your sharing of your knowledge.