Any Photographers Here...??

RAWArtifacts

Dec 11, 2010
I shoot with a Cannon PowerShot A590IS, with telephoto lens.
I have a SanDisk MicroMate USB SD, SDHC Card Reader and use the App Astro File Mannager free from Handango.
From Astro File Manager, Home.
Select "Up" folder and open "USBdisk" folder, open "DCIM", open "100Canon"
And there are the images to view!
(G-Tablet 2.2 No Custom ROM)
Cheers!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Well, I was a little disappointed I couldn't view by connecting my Nikon D3100 directly to the USB port, but with the SD card in a USB reader it was all good. Nice solution for quick viewing of DSLR photos on a large color screen!

Robert (Bob?), did you use Astro's built-in viewer, or another (Gallery?) after selecting your photos in Astro? I ended up with the Astro viewer...it was nice to have the thumbnail stream, but I wish it also allowed zooming. I also noticed that swiping photos in Astro on the gTab is a bit slow.

-Matt

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I think I'm seeing that I'll have to load my photos into Picasa or Flickr and view on the on G-Tab. That'll have to do unless Canon comes out with mobile software.

RAWArtifacts

Dec 11, 2010
Well, I was a little disappointed I couldn't view by connecting my Nikon D3100 directly to the USB port, but with the SD card in a USB reader it was all good. Nice solution for quick viewing of DSLR photos on a large color screen!

Robert (Bob?), did you use Astro's built-in viewer, or another (Gallery?) after selecting your photos in Astro? I ended up with the Astro viewer...it was nice to have the thumbnail stream, but I wish it also allowed zooming. I also noticed that swiping photos in Astro on the gTab is a bit slow.

-Matt

Hello Matt,
When you choose a picture to view in Astro you are asked to complete the action using Astro Image Viewer or View Image? View Image just let's you look at image but if you choose Astro Image Viewer you get more options! In Astro Image Viewer choose Menu, "Share" option pops up. Next, You can choose Email or other App to edit picture. I downloaded "Photo Enhance Pro" from Amazon $0.99 you can then edit the image , not your PhotoShop but works if you need to crop or enhance color then send over internet to a friend!
Cheers!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks for following up! I will definitely try the menu button and see where it leads me. :)

And on a totally unrelated note: my wife and I lived in Amherst 1998-2000, and we count those as 3 very nice years. What a wonderful part of the country and my son proudly notes that he he "was born in Northampton." We left when he was 2--and he has no memories of that time--but it sounds idyllic to him!

-Matt

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
For all you Photo buffs... just an FYI...

Pic say Pro is the free app today on the amazon market. I've touted it before and use it regularly as my default photo editor. It's one of the higest rated photo editors on the android market. It has over 11,000 reviews and a full 5 stars rating. Worth checking out for this incredibly low low price...

and yes i intentionaly made this sound like a used car sales pitch...

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Does PicSay Pro save as full resolution? Adobe Photoshop doesn't ... and that bites. It was a 'servicable' program otherwise ... I expected more out of Adobe. I know the price is cheap, but I don't want to spend it if the product doesn't work the way I expect it too.

My needs:

I want to transfer my microSD card out of my Nikon D90 (I use the micro in an adapter in my camera), put it in the tablet, delete and basic locked ratio crop (preferably 4x6, but 3x4 will work). I won't do any color mods, if needed, until I get the files on my computer.

My pictures are of sports ... hockey, soccer, baseball ... and my kids travel ... so I can start the editing process while my husband is driving us home (or to the hotel).

Camera = Nikon D90
Tablet = Acer Iconia A500

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
it only saves pics to 3 sizes... and they're geared toward mobile... normal (418x320), high (628x480) and maximum (816x624).... that's the options you have when you selct a pic for editing.... not sure how that stacks up against adobe's program haven't used it that much...

beastman

May 8, 2011
Can your camera upload to picassa? There is picassa for android.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I'm not always going to be within Wifi range for what I want to do ... so Picasa won't work for me. Also, the Picasa Android reviews are pretty bad overall. Thanks anyway!

nlive

Aug 18, 2011
Anyone using a Nikon D300s with the Acer A500? I have tried a copy apps from the market andcould not see anything on the camera through the usb port. I normaly shoot raw, but would switch to jpg if necessary. I did try a couple of photos on jpg, but still none of the apps would see the photos.

nlive

Aug 18, 2011
Anyone using a Nikon D300s with the Acer A500?  I have tried a copy apps from the market andcould not see anything on the camera through the usb port.  I normaly shoot raw, but would switch to jpg if necessary.  I did try a couple of photos on jpg, but still none of the apps would see the photos.

sandshoe

Sep 8, 2011
There is only one app for viewing raw files on Android. It is called RawDroid, and it's in the Market in development phase. It has the makings of a very fine app, and the developer is very keen and switched on. I recommend grabbing this while it's still free!

I don't know about Nikon, but I can't plug my Canon DSLR directly into my tablet and get it to see the images. Even on my Windows computer I need Canon software to recognise the camera, and you can bet that software doesn't exist in Android version!
I use a card reader to to read my CF card with my Acer A500, and it works very well. The Raw files are read by RawDroid, and I can transfer files to the tablet memory for back up or storage. RawDroid can even make a jpg version, so you can use one of the common photo tweaking apps, or email it.

I reckon the tablet will be very useful in photography, for me at least!