B&N Free Friday Books

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
Figured it out. Went via the nook store and it told me I needed to update my credit card, something that the bn website failed to do. I guess they expect us to be clairvoyant...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ha ha I just ran into the same problem. After talking to my CC company they cancelled my card. Apparently the bank was informed by the CC company that one of their merchants was compromised and many card numbers lost. Because of that they have cancelled the cards and are issuing new ones. The cards are supposed to be able to be used for certain transactions until the new cards arrive but certain merchants may decline. B&N happens to be one of those and ironically it is for a free item.

CONTACT YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY FOR MORE INFO. They also said a letter will come in the mail with the new card informing of the breach. Way too late in my opinion.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Well, I guess/hope my card wasn't affected. I downloaded the book without a problem a couple of hours ago.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well, I guess/hope my card wasn't affected. I downloaded the book without a problem a couple of hours ago.

Sounds like you are ok then. The weird thing is the card will continue to work until the new card is activated but I guess certain merchants have the ability to refuse the temporary continued authorization. The bank was able to change the status so the B&N transaction went through and then put it back so that the card is "protected" again. Very strange.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Is the "New" card going to have the same number as the old one?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Is the "New" card going to have the same number as the old one?

No, that is part of what tipped me off. After being declined for the B&N transaction I logged into my account to see if I had unauthorized use. The first thing I noticed was that the last 4 of the card number showing for the account were different. I then called to find out what was going on, with my first thought being somebody hacked my account, reported my current card stolen and had a new one sent to an address of their choice. Turns out the bank changed the card number and issued the new cards that are "in the mail" with a letter. New card should be received in 1-2 weeks, so if you suddenly get a new one out of the blue now you know why.

It is going to be a pain to reconfigure accounts and bills :mad:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
9/28/12 Today's book is The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World by Gary Fuller.

There's no doubt that most people, myself included, could use a geography refresher course. Not only have I forgotten most of what I learned in school, the maps have changed so much, most of it probably no longer even applies.

That's where Gary Fuller's accessible and engaging book can lend a hand. His (never trivial) trivia spans from U.S. geography know-how, to more worldly international facts and figures. So next time you're watching Jeopardy, or discussing world affairs with a friend, you'll be glad that you dipped into this helpful guide to all things geographic.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
10/5/12 Today's book is Spinning by Michael Baron.

Baron introduces Dylan Hunter—a man in the prime of his life who has everything he’s ever wanted. With a successful career, a string of adoring women and a great group of friends, Dylan is living the high life. Thanks to his golden tongue, he’s able to get himself (and his high-paying clients) out of any tight space, with a little ‘spin.’

Then a former girlfriend comes back into his life, with a 3 year-old daughter in-tow. The girl’s not Dylan’s, but he soon finds his priorities realigned when he becomes her sole guardian. Readers will sympathize with Dylan’s desire to hold on to all of the things his old life afforded, but they’ll keep turning the pages to see if he’ll find peace in this new role he never thought he'd be playing.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
10/12/12 Today's book is Jane Carver of Waar by Nathan Long.

A hard-ridin', hard-lovin' biker chick and ex-Airborne Ranger, Jane is as surprised as anyone else when, on the run from the law, she ducks into the wrong cave at the wrong time-and wakes up butt-naked on an exotic alien planet light-years away from everything she's ever known.

Waar is a savage world of four-armed tiger-men, sky-pirates, slaves, gladiators, and purple-skinned warriors in thrall to a bloodthirsty code of honor and chivalry. Caught up in a disgraced nobleman's quest to win back the hand of a sexy alien princess, Jane encounters bizarre wonders and dangers unlike anything she ever ran into back home.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ha ha this sounds like a copy of the John Carter of Mars series.

10/12/12 Today's book is Jane Carver of Waar by Nathan Long.
or John Carter of Mars

A hard-ridin', hard-lovin' biker chick and ex-Airborne Ranger, Jane
A tough manly Virginia gentleman and former Civil War Captain.

is as surprised as anyone else when, on the run from the law, she ducks into the wrong cave at the wrong time-and wakes up butt-naked on an exotic alien planet light-years away from everything she's ever known.
is as surprised as anyone else when, on the run from indians in the deserts of the South West, he ducks into a cave and wakes up butt-naked on an exotic alien planet hundreds of thousands of miles away from everything he has ever known.

Waar is a savage world of four-armed tiger-men, sky-pirates, slaves, gladiators, and purple-skinned warriors in thrall to a bloodthirsty code of honor and chivalry.
Mars (also known as the god of war to the Greeks/Romans) is a savage world of four-armed white ape-men, black skinned sky-pirates, slaves, gladiators and green-skinned warriors in thrall to a blood thirsty code of honor and chivalry.

Caught up in a disgraced nobleman's quest to win back the hand of a sexy alien princess, Jane encounters bizarre wonders and dangers unlike anything she ever ran into back home.
Caught up in a quest for a sexy alien princess, John encounters bizarre wonders and dangers unlike anything he ever ran into back home.

I'm sorry but even for a free book this is way too much of a rip off for me to support and it is highly unlikely he can match the masterful Edgar Rice Burroughs (also wrote the Tarzan books) in writing.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Pretty harsh review JP, now I won't even be able to give the book away for free. Oh wait, that's what I was doing in the first place. Never mind.:rolleyes:

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Maybe B&N should give away a paid Android app for free everyday instead, like Amazon does. Lol!
On a different note: I got 6 books from Google, downloaded to my Nexus 7 when I set it up, and I have no recollection of ever using Google Books.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I got 6 books from Google, downloaded to my Nexus 7 when I set it up, and I have no recollection of ever using Google Books.

Drug dealers also give out free samples to get you hooked on their product.:cool:

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Drug dealers also give out free samples to get you hooked on their product.:cool:

So, Amazon Appstore = crack house? Lol! Making the Google Play Store more like a government bureaucracy.
I wish Amazon would give out useful utilities, not the junk games nobody wants to buy.
Back to the topic: How does the B&N Nook/Reader compare to Google Books?