B&N Free Friday Books

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
How does the B&N Nook/Reader compare to Google Books?

The two are briefly described in this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...9818-5-ebook-reader-apps-android-devices.html and the links for downloading them are in the second post. I've only used the Nook app and like it very much. From what I understand, some of the features it's best at like magazine and children's book reading don't work as well on other devices and there are probably features of the Google Books app that might not be as good on my Nook as they are on your Nexus 7. the best thing to do would be to d/l the free app and try it on your own tablet. One thing I really like is the fact there's a Nook "app" for PCs that syncs the books between my PC and my two Nooks. I can read a book on any of the three devices and go to either of the others and pick up right at the page I was last at.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
10/19/12 Today's book is A Short History of the World by Christopher Lascelles.

A Short History of the World is a short and easy-to-read history book that relates the history of our world from the Big Bang to the present day. It assumes no prior knowledge of past events and 32 maps have been especially drawn to give the reader a better understanding of where events occurred.

The author chooses what he sees as the most important empires and events and links them to make a flowing narrative as opposed to a dry series of facts. Going through history, we learn how and when empires and nation states developed, how the major religions affected world history and the devastation they caused, how the Muslims and Chinese led development for many centuries, how the great explorers changed world history and how we finally came to understand the size of the planet on which we live.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ha ha I just ran into the same problem. After talking to my CC company they cancelled my card. Apparently the bank was informed by the CC company that one of their merchants was compromised and many card numbers lost. Because of that they have cancelled the cards and are issuing new ones. The cards are supposed to be able to be used for certain transactions until the new cards arrive but certain merchants may decline. B&N happens to be one of those and ironically it is for a free item.

CONTACT YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY FOR MORE INFO. They also said a letter will come in the mail with the new card informing of the breach. Way too late in my opinion.

I wonder if this had anything to do with the previous issues.

Barnes & Noble Inc said on Wednesday that customers who shopped at 63 of its stores as recently as last month may have had their credit or debit card information stolen.
Barnes & Noble says thieves tampered with PIN pads | Reuters

If that is the case I will be mad that they canceled my card when I didn't actually use it at a location :mad:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Sounds as though it's unrelated and only applies to in store purchases. They were recommending people log in and change their pin, if they thought they might be affected.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
10/26/12 Today's book is Alice in Zombieland by Nickolas Cook.

Fans of Lewis Carroll’s masterpiece will recognize the framework of this macabre story: young girl finds herself on a mysterious and magical adventure and learns life lessons from an odd cast of characters along the way. But Cook’s illustrated retelling is something much more sinister than the original. Now instead of chasing a white rabbit down his hole, Alice is following a black rat through a graveyard. Along the way, she encounters all manner of undead characters—both human and animal—and a zombie army controlled by the malicious Queen of Hearts.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
11/2/12 Today's book is The Whitefire Crossing by Courtney Schafer.

Dev is a smuggler with the perfect cover. He's in high demand as a guide for the caravans that carry legitimate goods from the city of Ninavel into the country of Alathia. The route through the Whitefire Mountains is treacherous, and Dev is one of the few climbers who knows how to cross them safely. With his skill and connections, it's easy enough to slip contraband charms from Ninavel - where any magic is fair game, no matter how dark - into Alathia, where most magic is outlawed.

But smuggling a few charms is one thing; smuggling a person through the warded Alathian border is near suicidal. Having made a promise to a dying friend, Dev is forced to take on a singularly dangerous cargo: Kiran. A young apprentice on the run from one of the most powerful mages in Ninavel, Kiran is desperate enough to pay a fortune to sneak into a country where discovery means certain execution - and he'll do whatever it takes to prevent Dev from finding out the terrible truth behind his getaway.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
11/9/12 Today's book is The Last Secret of the Temple by Paul Sussman.

An old man turns up dead at an Egyptian archeological site, and soon Inspector Yusuf Khalifa is pulled into the case. Something valuable—and possibly world-altering—is hidden in this ancient land, and the truth it could reveal would have dire consequences for the politically-fragile Mideast.

In the year 70 AD, as the Romans sacked and destroyed the Holy Temple in Jerusalem, a young Jewish boy was hidden away and chosen as the guardian of a great secret. For seventy generations this secret remained safeguarded. But in present day Israel, a Jewish radical threatens to reveal this hidden truth and use it to rend apart the fragile Middle East—and only an unlikely duo of hardened detectives of very different origins and a young, enterprising Palestinian journalist can unite to ward off disaster.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just watched the Mummy on G4 last night. No need to read this now, my ancient evils needs have been taken care of :)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
my ancient evils needs have been taken care of :)

My ancient evils needs seem to need constant topping off, I can't resist books and movies like this. Especially when they're free.:rolleyes:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
11/16/12 Today's book is The Ivy by Lauren Kunze and Rina Onur.

Just because a novel is set at Harvard doesn't mean it has to be smart. Freshman Callie Andrews, a California transplant, feels out of place alongside her three archetypal roommates: religious Dana, worldly Mimi, and edgy Vanessa. After her high school boyfriend, Evan, breaks up with her via e-mail, he reveals a past indiscretion, which Callie is certain would ruin her should anyone find out. The roommates rally around Callie, bringing her to parties and offering shoulders to lean on, but misplaced crushes lead to further betrayals. Interspersed are dispatches from Alexis Thorndike, a snarky columnist for a university magazine Callie desperately wants to write for. First-time novelists Kunze and Onur, who themselves met at Harvard, ratchet up the tension when Callie begins dating Alexis's ex, making her a target for Alexis; a cliffhanger ending sets up the next installment of a planned four-book series. Entertaining but predictable, the authors' portrait of Crimson life is full of benders, hookups, and scandals, making this a guilty pleasure, but also an empty one. Ages 14–up.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
11/23/12 Today's book is Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride.

It’s DS Logan McRae’s first day back on the job after a year off on the sick, and it couldn’t get much worse. Three-year-old David Reid’s body is discovered in a ditch, strangled, mutilated and a long time dead. And he’s only the first. There’s a serial killer stalking the Granite City and the local media are baying for blood. Soon the dead are piling up in the morgue almost as fast as the snow on the streets, and Logan knows time is running out. More children are going missing. More are going to die. And if Logan isn’t careful, he could end up joining them…

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
11/30/12 Today's book is The Last Noel by Michael Malone.

Malone’s book begins on Christmas Day, 1956, as two babies—one white and one black—are born in a small Southern town. Those babies, Noni and Kaye, cross paths eight years later, and form a lifelong friendship and romance. Through this unlikely pairing, Malone explores a changing American South, but more importantly, presents a deep love that transcends all barriers and survives against all odds.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
12/7/12 Today's book is Protector by Laurel Dewey.

Young Emily Lawrence witnessed her parents’ murders, and homicide detective Jane Perry’s been assigned to keep her safe, while trying to get her to divulge the repressed memories of the event. While Perry normally stops at nothing to get to the bottom of a case, this reticent child poses a special challenge. Perry’s not known for her maternal skills, and playing surrogate mother to a young crime victim is not in her repertoire.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
12/14/12 Today's book is Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs.

When shy Grace begins classes at her new school, the usual teenage concerns of fitting in and finding new friends top her list. That is until a minotaur appears, which quickly relegates her more pedestrian high school fears to the back seat. Things go from weird to completely unbelievable when a girl who looks exactly like Grace appears and begins battling the monster.

In this mythology-based adventure, Grace soon finds out that she actually has identical triplet sisters from whom she was separated at birth. The sisters are descendants of Medusa, and now that they’ve been re-united, they must leave their old lives behind to fulfill their monster-slaying destiny.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
12/21/12 Today's book is From Notting Hill with Love . . . Actually by Ali McNamara.

Protagonist Scarlett O'Brien is an unrepentant, daydreaming movie fanatic. Her idea of true love has always been shaped by the silver screen. So when she’s offered a house-sitting job in Notting Hill—the site of one of her favorite movies—her imagination immediately runs wild.

When her London gig starts to resemble a RomCom, replete with a handsome, but flawed, neighbor, Scarlett begins to wonder if those heroines from her favorite films were as overwhelmed as she is.

This light modern romance is the perfect holiday treat.