Battery replacement

Zman

Dec 14, 2010
I just got my a500 and was wondering what happens when the battery needs to be replaced? My guess is to send it back to Acer for a small fee.

sent from my cold A500!!!!

robdroid

May 4, 2011
There are A500 dis-assembly photos, notes, etc.. floating around the net (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...77-whats-under-hood-acer-iconia-tab-a500.html).
I looked at them when they first came out- seems easy enough to take the A500 apart. The battery shouldn't be too hard to source, but it's a solder type connection so you can do it yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron, or take it apart yourself, procure the battery, then have a friend who solders do the connection work for you.

I'd hate to send it back to Acer just for a battery.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Just bumping this, as a search brought me here.

My question is, aren't Li-Ion batteries really only good for 2-3 years? Basically, this is after warranty wears off. So it seems like to the average user, the Acer is designed to fail in 2-3 years. Am I having faulty logic here? Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I don't have the knowhow to replace a battery, but if my Acer fails in 2-3 years due to battery, I'm definitely going with a different company which offers a removable battery. For customer loyalty in the future, you'd think that one would want the tablet to outlast the user's natural want to upgrade.

Just thoughts, obviously with no basis in fact as I have no idea about battery life or feasibility of replacing one of these batteries.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@dan776
I think your presumptions about the battery are pretty accurate. Going to a tablet with a replaceable battery will severely limit your choices since most are not replaceable.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
That is unfortunate... the way this technology is growing, there are many reasons to want to upgrade in 2-3 years anyway. I personally believe that it's poor business to limit the replacement of such a cheap component that is known to fail over time.

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
As long as we continue to support this type of throw away mentality, they will continue to follow such practices. The auto industry is one perfect example of throw away technology.
I initally purchased a Toshiba Thrive, which turned out to be defective right out of the box. But my inital reason for the purchase, was that it had a replaceable battery......

kcallis

Aug 25, 2010
My question for the day... Is there any higher capacity batteries that I couple replace my stock battery with? Of course, higher capacity, but same form factor.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
My question for the day... Is there any higher capacity batteries that I couple replace my stock battery with? Of course, higher capacity, but same form factor.
Longer to charge too. I haven't seen any battery like it. May have to purchase from ACER direct,

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
The battery companies may only report that they should last 2-3 years but with care you will get much more. I have devices with built in LiOn batteries that are about 8 years old. The Palm Pilots for example. They have been gone for some time but I still have several in use today.

Also, a quick Google search reveals the A500 battery for sale in several places for just under a C note. Just search for BAT1010.

Last edited: