Charger plug 3.0mm not 3.2mm?

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
I believe I've read several times here that the charger tip is 3.2mm. I just measured mine and it's 3.0mm just like the Motorola tip and the G adaptatip from Radioshack.

That makes it more of a standard tip, and should be easier to find.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
The overall size of the tip is only one dimension that needs to fit. Yes a 3.0mm tip will fit the hole, but, there are different sizes of centre pins in use and this is where the wrong tip can cause a problem. The 3.2mm will give correct external and internal dimensions. That doesn't mean others won't fit.

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
What I meant was that the stock wall charger that came with the S7 has a 3mm plug. Both the "G" size adaptaplug and the old motorola plug are 3mm as well. I know the ID of the plugs can be different, but 3mm seems to be a standard size, whereas 3.2mm is difficult to find. It's hard to measure the ID of the plug, but all three seem to be the same size as well.

I was just wondering where the 3.2mm number came from, as my stock charger measures 2.95mm?

Are you suggesting that although the stock charger is 3mm, it uses the same center pin as a 3.2mm plug (which can squeeze in the hole)? And that although a standard 3mm plug should use a smaller center pin, it will still fit on the larger center pin?

Not that any of this matters. I measured the stock charger, and mine seems to be a standard 3mm tip. All that means is that I won't waste time looking for a much more difficult to find 3.2mm plug.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I have a power tip that will fit the power socket, but won't fit the centre pin. So there are variants of the same or similar size. The current small Nokia tip its another example.
And I have another which fits but verybadly and is unusable.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
If the 3.0mm tip is so common, how come I couldn't find anything with the right tip? I even visit the Holiday Inn, where the counter girl had a big tub of abandoned chargers, and not one fit correctly. Several had the correct O.D., but not the correct I.D. that's why I opted for the tip from Adaptaplug, but I'll keep an eye out for another charger...

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
You can get the right tip from the car charger that comes with the mobility pack. It also includes a soft case.

smartin

Jan 31, 2011
Since the only source I've found for a USB-to-3.2mm (or 3.0mm) tip sells for $18 plus shipping FOR JUST THE CORD, I've decided to DIY it.
I cut into the USB-to-iPad cord that came with this Kensington car charger I bought expecting to see two wires. Instead, it has four. Red, Green, White, and uncontained between a shielding sheath and the outer insulation. Great.
$20110225_001.jpg
Anyone know which wires are the two I need to soldier onto the Radio Shack Enercell "G" tip I'm planning to use?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I just used one of the many USB cables I havet in the drawer with the USB-A plug on one end. I cut off the other end and found fgour wires inside: grean, white, red and black. You us the red & black for power, and the green & white is for data, so I cut off those. Check first to make sure, and check the polarity after you do the soldering.

I also used the Adaptaplug #G, not the Enercell one.

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
I just made a USB charging cable with a plug from kenselectronics.com. $4 each (I got 2) plus $5 shipping. It's a nicer fit than the RS adaptaplug G which I put on an car charger. The barrel's just the right length and the fit is a little snugger. Listed with OD 3.0 mm and ID 1.1 mm.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Can you share the part # please? I agree the adaptaplug isn't pretty, but it's fine for now (the experimental stage or minor use) and a more robust connection is in order for major use on road trips during the summer.

Last edited: