Coby Kyros Mid7012-4G

Rodman101

Dec 25, 2011
I'm actually having trouble getting clockwork installed, but if you install "Overclock Widget" and set it so it's 300k-500k when screen's on and 128k when screen's off. I think this may actually solve all of our problems. It's fast and responsive when you're using it and the battery lasts fairly well when you're not. I think if we find a decent virtual memory app to go along with this, we may actually have a usable tablet set up!

My main issues at this point are as follows:
1. Every once in a while, the screen will light up and it will display the lock screen after I put the tablet to sleep. This is annoying and it might be problematic if overclock widget tries to overclock the cpu at this time, since that would cut battery life by quite a bit.
2. Under battery usage, it seems cell standby is using far more power than anything else. How can I disable this?
3. I like overclock widget, but I'm not changing my settings around a lot and so I really don't need a widget running constantly. Anyone know a free overclocker that doesn't involve a widget?

And that's it. Other than these minor things (and they really are pretty minor), it's actually a great tablet! Who would have thunk?

EDIT: Log in Apparently the screen turning on randomly is a hardware thing, not a software thing with these tablets. Granted, they are talking about a 7015 here, but the guts are almost identical. Can anyone else confirm that I'm not the only one with this problem?

I'm having the same problem with my tablet that the screen turns on randomly about every minute after I locked the screen. if it really is a hardware thing then it's gonna kill me it's very annoying. hopefully they'll come up with a fix

starrion

Dec 28, 2011
My daughter got this for Christmas. I was able to download Angry birds for her so she is happy with that. I have not played with it much as she is busy with it. The one big thing I wanted it for was to be a reader. The reader that came with it is not very good. I couldn't download a book from their own store. I was able to find the Nook app for Android and download it. Then I could not download any books so I hooked it up to my PC and sideloaded them. When I click on them though it says "unable to read book right now, try again later". Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I have been screwing with this for hours. I am about ready to send it back and buy something else!!!! Thanks!

JohnK11

Nov 27, 2011
Re : Out of (internal) memory issue
(Several older post already mentioned that--but since some
recent post asked that question, let me give you an answer)

(1) The internal memory space allotted to download is only 256MB !!!
(3GB is used for swap space, etc.) --so, if you download lots
of apps, it will fill up and you won't be able to download more
apps.

(2) I think that if you root your 7012, you might be able to change
the allotment (I have not yet successfully root mine, but, based
on some recent post, I may not--since I only want to get rid of
phone.apk to increase the battery life--BTW, you must remove 2
apps--both have phone... in their titles). Anyone done that ??
Did anyone have better than 3-1/2 hour battery life online/video ??

(3) The proper thing to do is to go to
settings->application-->manage application
You would be able to move the app (or most of it) to the SD card
e.g., Angry bird takes 20+MB; once you move to SD, it only
uses a few hundred KB internal memory.
BTW--in that screen, you will see what internal memory you have
used and what remains free.

Of course, if you change SD cards, you will no longer be able to
run that app that you move to the old SD card that you took away.

twisnas

Dec 29, 2011
Hello everybody,

I am trying to install the marketplace on my 7012-4g.
The problem i am having is that every time i try to install the googleservicesframework.apk it say "Application not installed".
I have been searching all over the place trying to get this thing to install.
I have tried the googleservicesframework.apks from the gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip and the one posted in the info section of the daprospecta's youtube video with no luck.
I am trying to install it by putting it on an SD card and using the apk installer.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks.

cobyfreak

Dec 29, 2011
With the cord that came with it, (mouse or keyboard adapter) can also be used to download a android package. Copy the package to a usb stick on the Pc, then unplug the usb stick and use the cord. In less than a minute it reads the usb stick and finds all android packagages. Use the AKP Installer app (also came with the 7012) and select the app to install. My packages were signed. I originally had the usb debug option selected but it works fine without any additional settings. No rooting or any such thing needed.

JohnK11

Nov 27, 2011
To twisnas, re : installing Android market
(again, this has been answered elsewhere--but hard to find-so, let me repeat it)
I also have the problem of getting the "app not available" prompt the first few times I try to install
Googleservice....
What happened to me those times was that I failed to unzip the folder--what I have to do is to press on the
folder continuously (NOT open it) and the press the unzip button. I then get the unzipped files
that I can install successfully (I actually just copied the unzipped folder and used it on my
next 3 7012 --I gave 3 of them away as Xmas gifts.).
Does anyone have a easier way to unzip the files ??

Another possibility is that you have used up your 256MB internal memory space for downloads--
go to settings-->application-->manage application screen and make sure that your
internal download memory is not used up (if so, move some of the bigger apps such
as Angry bird to the SD card to make room).

BTW, I am still looking for some kind soul to enable me to download service.... (what ever
I need to root--I don't want to deal with the JAVA framework stuff--I had enough
problem withe those a few years ago in a program development project at work--though
that was worse, with MAVEN and NETBEANS, etc. )
and a set of installation step-by-step for dummies instruction to root
the 7012 so as to remove the 2 phone.apk thing (has anyone actually verify that it
increases the battery life without serious problems ?? --actual battery life for online/video
use would be appreciated--compared to the 3-12 hour from an un-rooted 7012).

themadness

Dec 12, 2011
here is a dilemma i ran into last night. how do i stop all the running apps that get going once you turn it on? there are about 7 or so apps that are running at start up and slow everything down. i have to go in and kill them everytime i boot up to get things going like normal. how do i stop them from running to begin with?

kyfried

Dec 30, 2011
Anyone tried z4 root?
think that would work with built in apk installer pulling z4's file from sd card?

twisnas

Dec 29, 2011
Thanks for the responses. I actually had the files unzipped on the sd card when I was trying to install google services framework. I will try what has been suggested and post if I am still having problems. Thanks again.

mae_79

Dec 31, 2011
i have this same mid7012 coby 2.3 4 g
and i can't get android market and my netflix works but the words dont' match up to the movie
i dotn' have a sd card but i can get one if needed to get the market and watch netflix better

Mal_Reynolds

Dec 14, 2011
For those wondering how to install the marketplace without rooting....go here and follow this guys intructions carefully. My 7012 wasnt rooted when i got market up and running. (it says 7022 but it works for the 7012 as well as a pandigital nova)

Last edited by a moderator:

bedirect2002

Dec 22, 2011
hey there, im trying to play minecraft pocket edition on my coby mid 7012. I keep getting this error message: process com.mojang.minecraftpe has stopped unexpectedly. As far as i can tell this game is supposed to work on this tablet. Any help figureing this out would be wonderful. thanks guys have a great day

nastypup

Jan 6, 2012
Anyone tried z4 root?
think that would work with built in apk installer pulling z4's file from sd card?

I tried it but it gets stuck in "Attempting to apply root" and then it does a Force Close. Z4 worked well on my granddaughter's Viewpad 7e but not on the Kyros.

Edit: Z4Root doesn't work on the Copy. Must use Super Oneclick. It works well.

Last edited: