"Download Unsuccessful" of Market Apps on Acer Iconia Tab A500?

May 7, 2011
Hello all. I purchased an Acer Iconia Tab A500 two days ago, and I connected effortlessly to the Internet, but I cannot download any apps from the Market. I have seen suggestions to clear the cache and the data from the Download Manager, do the same for the Market, and then power down and reboot, and I have done that, but to no avail. Can anyone help, please? Thanks. Jeff

noweakness

May 4, 2011
i have that problem and its very aggravating. it just sits on the loading bar forever. i havent found a fix yet, sometimes turning my wifi on and off will help. other times i just have to retry a lot

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

May 7, 2011
Thanks - so it it not necessarily an initial set-up issue for which I need to find a solution, but rather may be an intermittent problem with servers or something like that?

Jozefs

May 11, 2011
I solved the exact same problem by opening port 5228 on my router to the Tab (both TCP and UDP, although TCP should suffice) + adding a private gmail account with a functioning Google Talk (I started with using my Google Apps account but then the Tab complained Google Talk wasn't working and opening the ports didn't help - as soon as I added my Gmail account Google Talk worked and the Market worked also). Hope this helps.

May 7, 2011
Thanks, Jozefs. You are beyond me technologically - I have no idea how to open a port on my router, or what TCP and UDP are - so I could not use your advice, but if you will provide a bit more detail I will welcome the information, as I like to learn.

However, you did "ring a bell" with me with your mention of Google Talk, because that was one of the errors I was experiencing - I was receiving the error message, "Cannot authenticate Google Talk," or something similar.

Three errors, in fact, seemed to be occurring - 1) I received that Google Talk error message noted above, 2) Google Maps (which comes already installed on the Tab) could not download an available update, and 3) I could not download fresh apps that did NOT come with the Tab.

I stumbled upon a solution - I force-closed Google Maps (knowing that its waiting update was one of the symptoms of the problem) and rebooted the Tab, and Market downloads immediately began to function properly. I'm not sure where that leaves the Google Talk utility - if that would now function as well, if we used it.

Jeff

bigal

May 17, 2011
Hi, I bought my Iconia yesterday and am having the same problem. I've tried everything that people have suggested but no luck. I've just sent an email to Acer support. I'll let everyone know how I get on.
If no luck, I'll take it back!

TurnerSM

May 20, 2011
Has anyone had any luck here? I just got my Iconia 500 today and am getting this too. Oddly the only thing that could download was the update to Maps....
How useful.

*** Update ***
I connected the Iconia to my PC via USB and went into the App Market with Firefox. So far I am able to install.

Last edited:

bigal

May 17, 2011
Update:

I've been receiving help from both Acer and Google regarding this problem with no luck. After reading Josefs post I tried port forwarding and also logging into Google talk (both of which I had trouble with). Again no joy. I decided to try using my HTC desire as a wi-fi hotspot and hey presto, it worked. I downloaded half a dozen apps and games with no problems. I then disconnected the phone and then reconnected to my home wi-fi and everything still downloads. I am now able to enjoy my A500.

Hope this works for everyone else with the same problem

SouthCali

May 22, 2011
Hi everyone. I started receiving the same issue about 3 days after buying my A500. But not for all apps. When I see "waiting..." and the app doesn't start the install process within 5 secs I hit the back button and click install again. That works for me.

ArtTJ

May 26, 2011
Hey guys I had the same problem, I resolved it by uninstalling programs or files and leaving at lest 2gb of free space on the internal memory, that will do it.

choppa

Jun 5, 2011
Hi,

I was hoping if you could please help.

I too just bought my A500 a week ago, and have a few problems. However I noticed in your post - you mentioned that you connected your A500 to the web via your HTC desire as a wi-fi spot.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the web, and also tried to connect via my Nokia E71 - wi-fi ..... but the A500 does not see the w-fi ...... I read that Ad-Hoc wi-fi is not supported.

Are you able to suggest any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Hey guys I had the same problem, I resolved it by uninstalling programs or files and leaving at lest 2gb of free space on the internal memory, that will do it.

I was having this problem and didn't realize I had copied more stuff into internal memory than I thought.
After moving some content back to my memory card I was able to install from market again.

I had tried a bunch of other stuff to fix this and was beginning to worry.

Thank you!

rodone10

Sep 11, 2011
Jozefs you were right on the money but how did you know what port to open also most people don't have the any idea how to open their port's on their wireless routers

sav6899

May 24, 2012

Tried that but still says (can't open files) in my downloads any other ideas

thanks Sav

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Hi,

I was hoping if you could please help.

I too just bought my A500 a week ago, and have a few problems. However I noticed in your post - you mentioned that you connected your A500 to the web via your HTC desire as a wi-fi spot.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the web, and also tried to connect via my Nokia E71 - wi-fi ..... but the A500 does not see the w-fi ...... I read that Ad-Hoc wi-fi is not supported.

Are you able to suggest any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.
Nokia use a different OS and Ad-Hoc wifi is supported but you may have to "root" your tablet to get results. Does your nokia have the "hotspot" ability? Mine didn't. Thats why I changed to HTC.

Also, the nokia's wifi might be out of the frequency range. You could try bluetooth or infra-red (something I was not aware was available on the A500 - until a few days ago.