External hard drive

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
you mean like switching the 16GB of internal storage for, say, 32GB? I'm pretty sure that's hard wired in. If you're talking about putting another drive in the enclosure I bought, sure...it pops right in. Format it FAT32 in Ubuntu or one of the windows programs that allow you to do it and you're golden!

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
OK, here's my handiwork...I still haven't found a short cable but I'm going to Best Buy today to check there.

Here's the drive with all 4 "hook pads" on it and 2 of the "fuzzy pads" placed on top. I put the other two on before attaching. I do it this way so it's easy to place

Here's the back of the tablet with the "fuzzy pads" in place:

View attachment 3613

Why only small pieces of Velcros? (fuzzy pads/hook pads as you say).

Instead, you can put 2 strips of the sticky pads (hook pads) on tablet and then do the same on your external drive put the fuzzy pads also 2 strips so it will be strong enough not to slip out when you attached them together.

Hook-Loop Tapes (Velcro Tapes) are very useful specially on those things. Be sure they're secured when you attached them together.

2hn0vaw.jpg

Velcro Hooks

2eq505d.jpg

Velcro Loops

Last edited:

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I just figured 2 full strips would be way too strong for this application. One little pad in each corner gives plenty of support and it's still easy to take the drive off when done with it. But do what works for you! :)

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
OK, here's my handiwork...I still haven't found a short cable but I'm going to Best Buy today to check there.

Here's the drive with all 4 "hook pads" on it and 2 of the "fuzzy pads" placed on top. I put the other two on before attaching. I do it this way so it's easy to place them on the back of the tablet in the proper positions:

View attachment 3612

Here's the back of the tablet with the "fuzzy pads" in place:

View attachment 3613

Here's the drive hooked up and ready to go:

View attachment 3614

The pics look great! Where did you get the device that is supporting the Acer in the last pic? Is it commercially available?

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
yeah, that looks like a good one too. I was actually wanting a different one but this was the only one best buy had so fortunately, I ended up liking it :)

davidchoixx

Sep 3, 2011
Hi i just bought an iconia tab, and i was wondering if a 500gb potable hdd will be able to hook up to the tab just like your 320gb hdd?

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Hi i just bought an iconia tab, and i was wondering if a 500gb potable hdd will be able to hook up to the tab just like your 320gb hdd?

Yes it will as long as it's formatted as Fat32 & not NTFS (unless your rooted). I've connected a 1TB and it worked fine.