File Transfer question - SYNET7LP

Aaron2

Jun 9, 2011
This may be a silly question from a tablet newbie, but plugging a USB drive stick into the tablet does nothing. Plugging the tablet directly into a PC's USB port does not alert the PC to open it like a storage device that files can be dropped on. I can't open an MP3 file in a URL from the tablet. I have not tried an email attachment.

Is the only way to place audio, video, and image files on the tablet to remove the micro SD card, plug it into another device & load it, then reinsert it into the tablet? That feels so 1990s.

Am I overlooking anything? A tablet or PC app for this?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
This may be a silly question from a tablet newbie, but plugging a USB drive stick into the tablet does nothing.

Plug the USB drive into the Host port using the supplied USB to mini-USB adapter and a new tab titled UDisk1 should display when using the "My Device" application to copy/paste/view files contained on USB disk.

$2011-6-10-14-42-3.jpg

Plugging the tablet directly into a PC's USB port does not alert the PC to open it like a storage device that files can be dropped on.

This functionality was removed for some reason in the 2.2 update. Connecting the tablet using the OTG port to the PC with the appropriate drivers installed will display "Communicating with PC" however, this is only used for updating the firmware.

Last edited:

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
That's crazy, a newer version has removed valuable features?
Well the "new version" we are talking about isn't really officially released, it's a beta version.
But the lack of fundamental competence on the part of the developers of this code is quite apparent.

fireraider

Jun 10, 2011
I purchase mine yesterday at Shopko and it came with froyo 2.2. I havent done much with it except root and install some programs so i am not sure if the official 2.2 is better. But it is "official" from the factory.

Sent using Tapatalk

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I purchase mine yesterday at Shopko and it came with froyo 2.2. I havent done much with it except root and install some programs so i am not sure if the official 2.2 is better. But it is "official" from the factory.

Sent using Tapatalk

fireraider, does the "official" allow you to http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/6437-apply-factory-reset-step-step-images.html? Some users are reporting, "No recovery image is found, try recover from SD" when attempting to restore to factory default on devices with the "official" 2.2.

fireraider

Jun 10, 2011
Can I get it to that point wit out actually applying the factory reset? I just spent the last two days loading all my stuff on and dont want to start over right yet.
I have a Samsung Captivate running Android and various custom roms so I am familiar with flashing and resetting, this new toy is just a little less user friendly and so I am a bit hesitant to start over from scratch yet. :)

I am sure I will end up doing it eventually, and if it will let me back out of a reset I will be glad to attempt it.

I guess my point of piping in was to say that the latest brand new tablet came from the factory with 2.2 ( I asume not a beta version?), it even had a little sticker on the box stating as such, but perhaps thats old news here, I just found this site while trying to decide if I should purchase this for myself for fatherday. its nice to have an online frum. Gotta love XDA if you have a android phone, and this site has the best forum for the sylvania tablets.

Aaron2

Jun 9, 2011
So...

Every user of an Andriod OS based product is at the mercy of fundamentally incompetent devs, without a clue of real-world needs, not a cohesive design team?

I spent an hour using a 3G iPad2 this weekend, I must say its really polished. I had set out to create a version of my web server based medical software using an affordable Android 7" Tab, but I'm not so proud of the android tab behavior I'm trying to work with now. I'm embarrased to hear medical professionals tell me how much better their iPad would behave doing.....

Last edited:

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
Cause, you know, I really expect my Yugo to out perform the other guys Ferrari.

Really?

Yeah, the iPad out performs this tablet. But then again, you're not paying iPad's price. It's a cheap low-end tab. You're not going to get the same performance. You might get more than you thought, but you're still only going to get what you paid for.

Sent from my Sytabex7

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
So...

Every user of an Andriod OS based product is at the mercy of fundamentally incompetent devs, without a clue of real-world needs, not a cohesive design team?

Uhm... no.

Not every user... just the ones that buy the cheap low end unit's like we did. And even then it may not be the designers fault. There are a number of tablets out there, just as pricey as your friends iPads that are as capable, if not more capable. And they have design teams that have just as much experience and compitency, and cohesion... they've also been making consumer electronics for as long as well.

I know the Sylvania name from their lightbulbs... I don't know them for computers... all-in-all, I think they did a decent job of producing a $100 tablet. I think they can do much better, but then, they probably need a little more experience... and if they did do a better job... they'd probably charge more.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
Uhm... no.
I know the Sylvania name from their lightbulbs... I don't know them for computers... all-in-all, I think they did a decent job of producing a $100 tablet. I think they can do much better, but then, they probably need a little more experience... and if they did do a better job... they'd probably charge more.

The Name "Sylvania" means nothing. This tablet isn't made by Sylvania, it's designed developed and manufacturered by the Chinese company InfoTMIC. In fact Sylvania doesn't make anything. They are one of a few big name companies, Sylvaina, Westinghouse, Singer, and others, who's only remaining asset is the trademark on the name, which is well know by the American public.

If someone is willing to pay the license fee you can put the name on anything you like, and that's what these Chinese companies do for products they want to sell the in the US.

This is very unlike Apple who does all the design and product engineering in the US, holds ownership on all the intellectual property, but may have the hardware manufactured in China, under their tight control.