First Notion Ink Adam Pre-Orders Arrive, OTA Update Bricks it Immediately

Discussion in 'Android Tablet News' started by xaueious, Jan 25, 2011.

1. xaueious

xaueious Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Asus Transformer TF300, Huwaei Ideos S7-104, HSG X5A, (Past APAD IMX515, APAD RK2808, RK2818 RT7)
    [​IMG]

Let's hope this will be the last we hear of any Notion Ink Adam tablet issues. We still recall the disastrous sneaky pre-order time policy tactics, and other contradictions of the Indian company. It is difficult to share the same enthusiasm as some of the top tech blogs on the net such as Engadget, as some glaring issues are starting to pile up.

As a result of issues with the over-the-air update, users will immediate brick their tablet upon performing the update. Strangely enough, the Notion Ink blog isn't reporting this problem. However, Notion Ink has issued email statements affected users, as posted on Notion Ink Fan, asking users to hold off on the update for the time being. It is only a matter of time before the news gets out, so Notion Ink's squelch over this serious matter is a puzzling one for a company already doubted for its integrity. Talk about a rough start.

Luckily, only a few people have actually been affected by this update, as only a limited number of pre-orders have actually shipped. Notion Ink has been somewhat liberal on the changing of shipping dates. With Chinese new year just looming, we can't expect many more users to actually receive their tablets with factory workers taking their annual holidays.

Besides the bad news, first impressions of the unboxings look good so far. The hardware itself shows good promise, but the software is not necessarily up to par yet. There is not even an app store on the device. At least you can sideload apps just fine. The tablet looks like it is running smoothly overall. Check this written review for some more details.

Notion Ink has issued instructions to remedy the issue. We have mirrored it here in case anyone runs into a similar issue, since Notion Ink hasn't exactly made this public:
    Via Androidcentral

2. strider_mt2k

strider_mt2k Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia A500
    Really enjoying reading the articles here.

Good stuff!

3. Nobby

Nobby Member

Dang i wish i was around when i got the email for the first shipment :( i got the welcome to the family email the day after i left for a weekend trip and when i came back the ship had sailed. I have applied for the second shipment but nothing saying it will go though :( why cant they just sell like a normal company?

4. sopranosv

sopranosv Member

Tablet / Device:
    Acer Iconia Tab A500
    So...you get your tablet, you update it and then you have to solve a problem that shouldn't happen? Nice for an unboxing video

5. Comacine

Comacine Member

Tablet / Device:
    Haipad 701, iPad
    Man, oh man... That's some serious business operations trouble. I kind of feel for them, but at the same time they are making a lot of poor decisions. Wow.