Flash ROMs without losing apps?

JJJMan75

Jun 8, 2013
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 that is currently running Cyanogenmod 9.1. Is it possible to flash another ROM without doing a data wipe in ClockWork recovery?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The biggest issue I have seen is other settings that are stored in the /data/ partition that may cause issues with the new ROM, especially if it is a newer version of Android.

I would VERY STRONGLY recommend that you backup your apps & data with something like Titanium Backup or MyBackup and do a Factory Reset from recovery. Most recoveries wipe the /data/ partition (installed apps and settings) without wiping the /data/media/ (aka /sdcard/) partition so all of your photos and stuff should be safe.

With that said, it is also VERY STRONGLY recommended that you do backup all these files if any are important and something happens and your recovery DOES wipe these, or if you have to do a full wipe and flash back to stock using KIES or something.

I have tried flashing different ROMs by different developers that were the same version of Android (mainly Android 4.0.4) and ran into a LOT of issues and instability in my tablet. It was not until I did a FULL WIPE of EVERYTHING (including the /data/media/ partition) that my tablet was back running like a champ.

So, as vampirefo. indicated, it is possible, but you may have some instabilities in your OS if you do so.