For the impatient: leaked 4.0 builds

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks Icebike. That confirms my guess. I noticed a few problems with ICS on the forum. Also it is a good idea to wait patiently for ACER's release due to the fact that many apps are not compatible at this stage. By then more apps will be ICS compatible.

So I, like you, will wait patiently.

CYA

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
If you haven't modded your tab yet I say wait, let everyone else be the beta testers for a bit and work out the kinks.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
If you haven't modded your tab yet I say wait, let everyone else be the beta testers for a bit and work out the kinks.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum
I won't be rooting my tablet - if thats what you mean by "modded". I'll just wait.

As it is said "Good things come to those who wait patiently for them!"

BlackVoid

Feb 20, 2012
I want too upgrade to ICS now, but my gut is telling me to wait. Always good to believe in your gut...unless you ate to much hot wings the night before.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Best to wait for offcial builds since it is possible to have fixes come alogn with it.

THe leak is an offcial leak, but seems to be a slightly earlier build. IF you notice it has the customized interface, Acer ring, and other aspects acer customized specificlly for their A100, A200, an A500/501 tabs.

mikespe

May 18, 2011
Thor has an ICS ROM based off the CM9 ICS ROM that is running flawlessly on my A500. The only thing not working is the camera but I don't miss that. It is SUPER SMOOTH and just fits perfectly with the A500. I've been running it now for about 3-4 weeks...now with the leaks out we should be getting the camera drivers & for those with the A501 they should be getting 3G fairly soon...rooting is a choice and you have to feel comfortable with it...but it's not complicated & if you can follow directions there's no danger of ruining your device. The ONLY time I've read of anyone completely destroying their device is when someone disconnected the usb cable from their computer during the rooting process. 99% of the time the device can be saved...

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Thor has an ICS ROM based off the CM9 ICS ROM that is running flawlessly on my A500. The only thing not working is the camera but I don't miss that. It is SUPER SMOOTH and just fits perfectly with the A500. I've been running it now for about 3-4 weeks...now with the leaks out we should be getting the camera drivers & for those with the A501 they should be getting 3G fairly soon...rooting is a choice and you have to feel comfortable with it...but it's not complicated & if you can follow directions there's no danger of ruining your device. The ONLY time I've read of anyone completely destroying their device is when someone disconnected the usb cable from their computer during the rooting process. 99% of the time the device can be saved...
Well one member on the forums "rooted" his A500 and now it is well and truly "rooted" (an Aussie expression for " well and truly stuffed"). In his case the only option left was to buy a new one - warranty did not exist in his country.

I'll wait - my head and my gut agrees.:p

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
The A500 can be rolled back and remain rooted an unrooted from the leak.

the A100 oddly can not.

It's often best to wait for official builds. If you root later then:

1. Make sure you can unroot of flash back to stock official builds. I have rooted devices such as the Droid charge to make it run much more efficient and increase battery life 4 times this way, but I know how to get back.

2. Make sure you follow instructions closely. You perm root a device, and often you can forget official OTA's and need to hope the other XDA or dev group provides stable official builds that you can use later.

Rooting some devices has it's merits, more often phones where bloatware is nothing but performance and battery drainers. The Tablets are not as plaqued with that crap. You can turn off Acers media server and sharing.

I do not recommend thor's Build. It is a striped down base form of ICS not optimized for the tablet, so don't expect performance to be as great as official builds. It was a nice attempt to help get ahead but to far behind. You will notice how resolution isn't correct, icon size isn't correct, and device use is very limited. Perhaps if the source code of the official is released, and better custom kernal can be built.

I am very glad Acer customized ICS for their tabs. Loo kat early releases on some tabs, and be glad for the wait. THey rushed out base builds that simply are not tablet optimized at all. eBEign first out doesn't mean you have a stable build first out.

When I see ICS on the A200, I am glad Acer took the time to customize the acess hub (wheel) teak the camera interface and menu, and other media aspects.

Last edited:

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Taboonay has the best and most fuctional rom. Based off a second leak, and includes the acer ring. Bloatware rooomed, function added.

RedMistyTaboo

Mar 4, 2012
Happy with Thor's v14.2 w3.94 kernel based on ASUS HC3.2.1 ROM. Excellent performance and stability. Definitely patiently waiting for solid build from Thor using a stable ICS build. Played with ICS on a TF Prime and I don't feel the urgent need to be on the bleeding edge.

adrock

Jan 10, 2012
RedMistyTaboo said:
Happy with Thor's v14.2 w3.94 kernel based on ASUS HC3.2.1 ROM. Excellent performance and stability. Definitely patiently waiting for solid build from Thor using a stable ICS build. Played with ICS on a TF Prime and I don't feel the urgent need to be on the bleeding edge.

I agree.. Been running 14.2 about 2 weeks now and couldn't be happier. Only had this tablet for a month however.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I want too upgrade to ICS now, but my gut is telling me to wait. Always good to believe in your gut...unless you ate to much hot wings the night before.
Extra hot peri peri is the way to go. Especially with chook.