Free Fridays: Free book for NOOK owners every week

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
The big bummer about this is that you still have to enter a valid credit card number, even to get the free books. This is B&N policy and I haven't seen a workaround yet.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
The big bummer about this is that you still have to enter a valid credit card number, even to get the free books. This is B&N policy and I haven't seen a workaround yet.

If I understand correctly, that CC number is used to generate a key to encrypt the books.

Looks as though this does apply to the Android Nook app, also - true?

Last edited:

brokevet

Jan 15, 2011
I have an iTunes account and only download free stuff because I am poor. I have a Visa Check Card attached to it. The only way to use iTunes.
My Barnes & Noble account uses the same Visa card. I download free books. When I open them to read. I have to dig my wallet out and type in my Visa Card number.
That is the key to open the books. All the numbers typed in unlocks the ebook. I have gotten to where I know my Visa number like my phone or SSN. When it asks me. I just type it in now. No big deal. It seems to only ask if you transfer it to another device or computer. All the books on my Mac only asked one time for the unlock code. If anyone ever donates a Nook Color to me. I assume I will have to type the number again after transferring the books.

riffraff

Jan 18, 2011

Hmmm. I have yet to be asked to enter a credit card number, and I've grabbed every Free Fridays book since New Year's Eve.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hmmm. I have yet to be asked to enter a credit card number, and I've grabbed every Free Fridays book since New Year's Eve.

If you have a B&N account and a credit card linked to that account would logging in thorugh the account be sufficient to not require entiering the crediti card number again?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
If you have a B&N account and a credit card linked to that account would logging in through the account be sufficient to not require entering the credit card number again?

Correct it is sufficient and how I setup my NC. I'm a bit leery myself of entering cc numbers and since the NC like most all mobile devices are not very secure, I created a b&n account online with cc and then reg'ed my NC. Now I can browse and download anything free or otherwise from the b&n shop.

riffraff

Jan 18, 2011
It appears to be the complete book; 264 pages long, and doesn't end with "[End Of Sample]."

BTW, that's last week's Free Friday's book. Today's (Jan-21) book is Magyk by Angie Sage.

Last edited:

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I have to say I am enjoying the free books.. as much for the fact that they are free.. I am streatching to read books I never otherwise would have tried.. . and several have inspired me to get more in that new vein.. so I look forward to Friday's.... I have reserved a number of books that are in the series I started as a freebee, at the local library when they are available.
.. now feels as good as FREE... heheheheh

Oh for those of you that are from Florida... Alachua County Library has a online ereader library card .. no visit to the library needed and can sign out ebooks and audio books and video downloads.... as long as you live in Florida it is open to you...

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Anyone know if it's possible to get previous weeks books free? I just missed last weeks book and actually would have liked to have it.

EDIT
Actually, I was still able to get last weeks offer free just now. But previous offers are gone. Too bad, those free test prep books a few weeks ago would have been awesome.

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Great and thank you ,zzCrenita, for the information! I live in Miami.
Gloria

Last edited: