Free Splashtop app at Amazon!

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Great App, thanks for sharing!!

You are welcome. I'm sure glad I decided to try it the day it was the free Amazon app of the day. I don't think I would have paid money for it because I thought it sounded too good to be true, but I was wrong.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I saw it today for free on Getjar.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

cal

Jan 7, 2012
Is it fro free on any u.k accessible app stores?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I still can't see the value of this.

With proper selection of a very few additional packages from the market I see no reason anyone would feel they have to be tethered to home/work computer?

You have email packages, document processors, text editors, photo processors and 400,000 apps in the market all available on the Acer.
What could you possibly need on a your desktop computer, which you could actually use on the tablet? Just because you can see your desktop remotely doesn't mean you can accomplish anything real. (I've used a dozen of these things over the years when traveling, and they all are hopeless bandwidth hogs and pathetically slow).

As for checking email without having an app installed, what a ridiculous solution this is!! Your tablet CAME with mail apps installed.
Put your credentials into one of the two free email apps provided on the Acer and problem solved. WAY faster.
Install Firefox on the tablet if you feel the stock browsers won't work for that ALL Important game on facebook!

This looks like a solution looking for a problem to solve. I couldn't possibly be bothered to install this and risk the security hole into my desktop.

candita

Jan 7, 2012
well then icebike dont install it!! Anyways frapshake it's an awesome app but with minor problems..hopely they are working on them :)

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Greetings Icebike. I've known about Splashtop for awhile, read about it, what it was supposed to be capable of, etc, but I had the same opinions as you do. I figured there couldn't possibly be any value in it, even if it didn't run at a snail's pace. When I saw it for free at the Amazon app store, I almost didn't download it, but these apps are so darn easy to install and uninstall, I decided to give it a try. Anyway, just to comment on what you wrote, because I think it is somewhat unfair to judge an app without first trying it.

Oh, I do get what you're saying about the security risk, good point, and that bothered me too, but I spent some time searching and I didn't come up with a single person or article complaining about it or having their PC or laptop compromised because they are using the app. I challenge you to find one for me. You install Splashtop Streamer (free) on your PC or laptop and you set a security code. If a good firewall is running, permissions can be set. You can have Splashtop prompt you for the password in case someone steals your tablet so they wouldn't have access to your PC. You are not tethered to your home/work computer.

Other posters said this replaced their netbook/laptop when they went on a trip or elsewhere. I haven't tried this yet, but I personally wouldn't want my laptop to be running constantly if I went on an extended vacation, so I probably won't. However, if I want to see or do something on my laptop if I'm visiting someone, like stream music or watch a movie, I can see the value in it. And for business people, I think it would be invaluable.

I don't us any other additional packages, heck, I didn't even know they existed until yesterday. I don't need them, it does everything I want without them. I do have the free email apps, thank you, but I despise them. I would much rather use Mailwasher Pro and Windows Mail. I wouldn't use the Firefox app without Flash. I don't play the stupid Facebook games, I don't like or use Facebook very often, I was just telling what the app is capable of because they ARE important to a lot of people.

The number one reason I'm so excited about it? There are 8,371 views and 14 posts in the Hulu thread, people wanting to know how to get it running on their tablet. This is a great solution to that problem. Also for Xfinity. I watched a movie and TV shows on Hulu a couple days ago and they play perfectly. Now I don't have to be tethered to my laptop to do that.

Sounds like I am more of a toy geek than you are. I just like to do things sometimes just because I can and it's fun. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
well then icebike dont install it!! Anyways frapshake it's an awesome app but with minor problems..hopely they are working on them :)

Gads! I just read my reply to Icebike over and it sounds like I'm related to the dev or have a dog in the fight or something! Which I'm not and I don't. I honestly haven't found any problems with it yet, but not saying I won't. I'm still blown away by how well it does work though. I can live with minor problems. Thanks candita.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
One more thing I really like about this setup, I can be sitting downstairs and manage my desktop that resides upstairs (duh) with Splashtop and it is as responsive as sitting at my desk. It is amazing on your lan.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
My wife had outpatient surgery today. The hospital was app. 100 miles from home. I took my a500 to pass time and remembered there were a couple things that I forgot to do that can only be done on my Desktop (no apps for those things). Connected via Splashtop and took care of business just like I was sitting at my desk in the office, very fast and responsive. Then did a couple printouts and they were waiting for me when I got back.

Again thanks to the OP

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
I use an application called Omniform that runs on Windows...

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
My wife had outpatient surgery today. The hospital was app. 100 miles from home. I took my a500 to pass time and remembered there were a couple things that I forgot to do that can only be done on my Desktop (no apps for those things). Connected via Splashtop and took care of business just like I was sitting at my desk in the office, very fast and responsive. Then did a couple printouts and they were waiting for me when I got back.

Again thanks to the OP

Hoping your wife is mending fast after surgery. Thanks for your comment. I have not tried Splashtop away from home yet, but a couple other posters said they did and apparently had success with it. It's good to know it works so well 100 miles from home. I didn't even think about trying to print with it! 100 miles away even! Thanks StoneKy.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
One more thing I really like about this setup, I can be sitting downstairs and manage my desktop that resides upstairs (duh) with Splashtop and it is as responsive as sitting at my desk. It is amazing on your lan.

Yes, this app is very amazing. I do love my A500 as an Android tablet and love playing around with all the fun apps and things Android is capable of, but I also love the fact that I can turn it into a mini-Windows computer clone (is clone the right word?) with a couple of clicks. It just makes the value and usefulness of the tablet that much more.