Google Chrome for Coby

Joland

Nov 12, 2012
alright!! I volunteer to be a guinea pig for this project. somebody will do the math I do the testing.

I'm pretty sure nobody is using chrome around here, so let's get it fixed! Let's have satisfied Coby owners in this forum.

Any modifiers out there?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I tried it on my 9742, but it ran very slowly, and the inability to use extensions was a deal breaker. I currently use Dolphin with Jetpack, but am contemplating going back to Opera Mobile since it seems to run more smoothly than Dolphin. Opera doesn't use Webkit and I've not seen requests from Opera to close like I do on Dolphin. Webkit in general seems to not work that well on the Coby tablets, and most of that can be attributed to the processor. Since the processor only has one core, when something graphics intensive is called on the browser everything slows to a dead stop.

Joland

Nov 12, 2012
Alright! so it's not about how cool chrome is folks but it's about compatibility.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The other thing to keep in mind is that Chrome, Dolphin, and Firefox do not support Flash, but use HTML 5 instead. Opera still supports Flash. If Flash is important for your web browsing, then you want to use Opera. Honestly, with the crappiness of the stock browser as well as the general pokiness of the processor, using Opera might not be a bad idea anyway.

If Chrome ever allows for extensions to be installed, then I'll consider using it because then I can install vbookmarks, which allows users to select a page using a more familiar interface than random hits using the awesomebar.