Google Play on Coby Kyros 1042

Discussion in 'Coby Generation 3 Technical' started by luvdzun, Jun 21, 2012.

1. luvdzun

luvdzun Junior Member

UPDATED NOV 2012: 100% WORKING ON MINE ON STOCK FIRMWARE.

Instructions follow on ways to get the Android market onto your Coby Kyros 1042 tablet. None of the tools are my own, and I am just posting tools here for convenience. All credits goes to original developers!

Tools required:

Grab the rooter from this thread and root it first:

ARCHIVE 1: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...umps-coby-generation-3-devices-coby_root3.zip

--credit: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...rmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices-2.html

Backup your filesystems using the tools in same thread or through CWM at the end of this post:

ARCHIVE 2: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices-fw_dump2.zip

Get the google package for ICS from here:

ARCHIVE 3: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Download the files on to the desktop,

Get ADB up and running on your machine.

in ARCHIVE 3:

--cd Desktop/gapps-ics-20120429-signed
    --adb push system/app /data/local/tmp
    --adb shell

Type following inside shell:
    --su -
    --mount -o remount,rw /system
    --busybox cp /data/local/tmp/*.apk /system/app
    --exit

--Credit: silverwraith

Once you have transferred all those files, just reboot the tablet

Also there is a neat way to backup and restore your phones here by vampirefo: Clockworkmod factory image , backup and restore for MID 1024 here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite-2.html
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  2. vampirefo.

vampirefo. Senior Member Developer

Tablet / Device:
    Leagoo Lead 1 ZTE OPEN C, Coby 7065, Coby 8042, Coby 9740
    I suggest you root it, make a dump first.
  3. silvoren

silvoren Junior Member

I was capable of rooting my 1042 and romdump. Then I tried to install Google package for ICS and it started crashing. So I did a factory reset and lost root and cant restore root with same method says no space left on device. Can I restore root with my rom dump? , how?
  4. jasman029

jasman029 Junior Member

I am new to all of this so I am sorry to bother you all. I have a coby mid 1042, I downloaded the sdk and updated as needed. When in platform tools I typed adb devices and my coby came up. Now I was not sure what to do with the root zip, I copied to downloads of tablet and tried to update as zip in recovery and all I got was it was not signed so a no go. I do not have cwm on my coby, I have not found one yet, I could use some help please. I want to root the tablet for the market and to learn the android set up. I have been looking and trying for a week now, I cant seem to find out how to do it so I have broke down and am asking for your help. Thank god my wife can't see this! Jim
  5. silvoren

silvoren Junior Member

If you are trying to root just download coby_root3.zip to your computer and un zip to your computer then plug in usb and to yur tablet and click on root.bat

This is my Coby MID 1042-8 fw_dump2 files. How do I make a restore image from it. http://www.mediafire.com/?4tzzb55a4jgkkp0
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  6. jasman029

jasman029 Junior Member

Thank you very much !!!
  7. lthomas926

lthomas926 Junior Member

ok i just got the 1042-8 and would like to get the google apps on it and have access to the google play store can someone help me ?
  8. zrolink

zrolink Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    coby kyros mid1042
    which ics to download? newbie here. thankz
  9. monbon03

monbon03 Junior Member

I've tried every instruction but still I cannot transfer the specific files to the /system or even make a directory. I really don't know what specific adb.exe should I use. FYI I got the Superuser but the devices still cant be detected. I also type the root.bat and still doesn't work. I appreciate if someone can help me with this. Thank you
  10. PMad

PMad Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID1042-8
    So i've successfully rooted the tab and created my dump. For Archive 3, the batch file didnt work for me, i tried every option, nothing worked. So i attempted the listed workaround which also didnt work, not even close! So i had to do it by other means. I copied all of the files to the external SD card, installed root explorer with ADB and manually copied everything over within the tablet itself. The only problem is when trying to copy the files from the s4 folder into /system/app, i get an out of memory error. Root Explorer is showing around 250Mb used on the /system partition and 1.2mb free, but some of those apps are much bigger than the 1.2mb free space. Looking through the list of apps in the /system/app folder, i cant really remove any of them because they are needed, and the few that are useless wouldnt free up enough space, so it needs to come from elsewhere... Where? How? What do i do? Any ideas?
  11. monbon03

monbon03 Junior Member

Same dilemma here!
  12. eddyh23

eddyh23 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros 1042
    Hi, I do it all all just work, but when reboot now i get,
    "Unfortunately, Launcher has stopped."

and i cannot use my 1042 any more, what you think i can do to fix that.

Thank you.

13. luvdzun

luvdzun Junior Member

Did you try a factory restore? Also If you already have a backup, it should be pretty simple to restore to that
  14. Dieselrider

Dieselrider Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID 1042
    This is probably rudamentory to many but, how do I get the files listed into the coby. I have this new coby kyros MID 1042 and I really need to put google play on here but, it seems I have to root it fiirst. I'm new to this and need some guidence. I am also not too familiar with windows as I usually run linux so I am having trouble finding how to transfer the mentioned files into the Coby. Thanks.
  15. kosmik

kosmik Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID1042
    [​IMG] Originally Posted by PMad [​IMG]
    So i've successfully rooted the tab and created my dump. For Archive 3, the batch file didnt work for me, i tried every option, nothing worked. So i attempted the listed workaround which also didnt work, not even close! So i had to do it by other means. I copied all of the files to the external SD card, installed root explorer with ADB and manually copied everything over within the tablet itself. The only problem is when trying to copy the files from the s4 folder into /system/app, i get an out of memory error. Root Explorer is showing around 250Mb used on the /system partition and 1.2mb free, but some of those apps are much bigger than the 1.2mb free space. Looking through the list of apps in the /system/app folder, i cant really remove any of them because they are needed, and the few that are useless wouldnt free up enough space, so it needs to come from elsewhere... Where? How? What do i do? Any ideas?

same issue.... any solution or workaround really appreciated....
  16. joe256

joe256 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Multiple
    I did get all the files to fit, but google play still did not work for me. From stock, do the first two steps then download file browser through getjar. then I copied the extra files to the download directory: aldiko, es file browser, es taskmanager, adobe reader, and office viewer. I then deleted the files from the system directory and used setting -> apps to force stop and disable. Then I rebooted. Then I installed all the apps in the download directory. This set them up as installed apps instead of included apps. Leaving enough room for the google apps in the system directory.

Even though I was ableto get everything to copy, google store still does not work, it is like the initializer and framework is not ran???
  17. jstinnett

jstinnett Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Mid1042
    For some reason I cant even get mine rooted. It keep saying waiting on device. any help would be great
  18. Traveller1701

Traveller1701 Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5, Samsung Galaxy S4
    If you're on Windows, then you need to read the stickies.
  19. Dieselrider

Dieselrider Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID 1042
    The work around in thie=s thread did not work for me. I believe that the reason is in the commands being different in Mepis Linux then in ubuntu. However, I did get mine rooted and using google play with this thread on the mepis boardsusing Mepis 11 operating system. MEPIS Community Forum - View topic - Trying to root a coby tablet Most all of what you need to do is on the first page. The rest of the thread was our trying to get my systemtweaked to perform the task. I don't know if this will help anyone but, it sure did me. Thanks everyone.
  20. joe256

joe256 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Multiple
    Still no Google Play working...