Google says my new tablet is rooted and won't download movies

wovonb

Jun 17, 2012
Hi there. I am a new user of a new Android 4.0 GoTab. All good apart from when I tried to rent and download a movie Google play store said my device appeared to be "rooted". Didn't even know what that meant, so googled a bit and it seems it is a hack? I don't think my tab is supposed to be as it is promoted as able to download movies from Google and as it is a brand new device I thought they came unrooted (not that I really understand what that is). Is it a glitch? Have emailed the GoTab tech desk 3 times now with no response and no help from Google (except a friendly refund for the movie). Any suggestions gratefully received ( in words of few syllables please... as I say, not so techy savvy here)
Thanks so much
Kate

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Kate, welcome. Root, rooted, rooting just means that you have administrative access to the files of the system. This allows you to do more things with your tablet since you can change and modify tablets at the system level. This is this first I have heard about Google making a check like this for downloading content. Frankly I am very sad to see it.

I think this check is because of DRM (digital rights management). The content providers (movie studios) most likely are requiring a locked down device to support DRM so people can't watch pirated movies. Having root access means you might be able to get around those DRM restrictions. Even if your device came that way and you didn't have to do anything to get root access. The movie industry is just as bad as the music industry. They don't understand that by completely requiring a device to be locked down for everything just to protect their content will aggravate people. Why should they be able to decide what I should or shouldn't be able to do on my tablet? Now I want to go pirate movies just to spite them.

So because they can't protect their own content they want service providers such as the cable companies and telcos to filter and manage websites for them and the hardware and software companies to make their digital devices restricted in use for the owner just so we can't maybe see or hear things without paying for them regardless of what ever else we lose in the process. Sorry for the rant but this is ridiculous particularly when you are trying to purchase the movie the legitimate way.