Got a new update to+day!

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Hi all!

Got a new update today, very small (less than 6MB download). My tablet is ow running build number Acer_AV043_A700_1.028.00_EMEA_FR ... no idea what it brings. :)

Gilles.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I got one downloading too:

Acer_A700_AV043.RV07RC06_PA_CUS1
This differs from my prior version only after the decimal point (old was RV05RC02)

Its fairly large 332.01MB

I'll post back on what I see that is different (if anything).

UPDATE:

What I've noticed so far:

Entire update process took 6 minutes.

Initial missed tap problem seems much reduced.
Often previously you could tap a icon and nothing happened, and the slight blue shadow did not appear around the icon signifying it had been selected. This now seems mostly cured, the blue shadow shows up immediately and the application loads.

Camera Auto White Balance still too blue/purple on cloudy day.
You have to select cloudy when it is cloudy.

Screen Brightness still too dark
May work in a darkened room, but in a bright light its just too dark. Have to use manual slider.

Ever so slight stutter while switching home screens
This actually seems slightly worse than it was before. Previously you could eliminate all this stutter, by turning off ring and setting normal fonts. Even with ring off, you now see a slight stutter. (With ring on its still much worse, and the ring seems to have gotten much larger than before.)

Scroll stutter in Web browser still there
Using Google News as a reference screen, scrolling stutter in the web browser. It almost disappears when the page is fully loaded, but initially it is very noticeable just as it was in the past.

Zooming way in no longer Crashes Google Earth
Turning on 3D buildings and zooming into any city with 3D buildings would previously lock up Google earth with a flashing screen.
This seems fixed now and you can Surf the Canyons of NYC without it going bonkers.

Screen Rotation feature
I notices a new screen rotation control in the settings that jump up when you press the lower right hand corner of the screen. This is bound to lead to confusion as there are now TWO DIFFERENT rotation locks. (This may have been their previously, but I don't remember it).

Screen Rotation Cause loss of picture
I first noticed this in the prior release, and posted about it here.
This seems to be fixed. I can't induce it any more. They seemed to fix it by imposing a half second interval after the screen was rotated before the rotation kicked in.

Camera close focus.
Wow the close focus on this thing is great. Don't know if this release fixed that or it has always been that way

4b9771a5-a804-a889.jpg

In short, other than the first tap problem and screen rotation and Google Earth lockup, I can't find much that is clearly improved in this version and have no idea why the update was so big.

Last edited:

Captain_Crypto

Jun 27, 2012
I'm getting it right now. It's apparently a big one. It's taking a while to download.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Captain_Crypto

Jun 27, 2012
By the way, my update is 333.50 MB, and downloading veerrry slowly.

Captain_Crypto

Jun 27, 2012
DILEMMA! It's downloaded. Do I install it now, or wait for icebike to install it and see if it works?! ;)

Kidding. Installing now.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
A. Will it install over unlocked bootloader and root? B. If so, does it remove both?

EDIT: A. Yes. B. Yes. Found out over at XDA. A dev there is also working on a new CWM as the previous version created bricks. New CWM hasn't been thoroughly tested, either, so don't flash it yet.

Last edited:

Captain_Crypto

Jun 27, 2012
So far, so good. I don't see a change log on the Acer US site so I I don't know what changes were made. I don't see a difference right now but I haven't played too much with it yet.

Not sure about the bootloader and root. I've purposely stayed stock til at least the first update.

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
I'm also nkw at Acer_A700_AV043.RV07RC06_xxx

And I still had to turn off the ring... and getting missed taps still... pfff...

5th core too often used, methinks...

Gilles

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Actually I get far far fewer missed taps. Its really almost gone.

Also if you install Tablet CPU Usage Monitor free from the market, you can pretty much figure when the tablet is running only
in the 5th core.

Any more than one single LED lit up on the task-bar icon means it is using more than the 5th core.

According to the Developers, they can't directly access statistics for the 5th core, but can for all the rest.
Anything above 5% utilization of more than just the 5th core.

If anything, I think this version spends more CPU time (less time in the 5th core) than the prior version. This might show up
in increased battery usage, (not that that would matter).

My initial impression is that it seems to light up more than one LED more frequently.
Playing on of my favorite Video

used to be done with a single LED lit up in Tablet CPU. That told me it was running totally in the 5th core. Now, I tend to see more than one LED lit up.

Same when in Tune In Radio. I used to be able to stream with one LED lit. Now, its about 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
ACK! Screen lag is back, even on Apex. How disappointing! On the bright side, I've not noticed the polygon-jump effect when scrolling.....Time to re-root, though.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
ACK! Screen lag is back, even on Apex. How disappointing! On the bright side, I've not noticed the polygon-jump effect when scrolling.....Time to re-root, though.

Yup, I had that screen lag taken care of on the prior release. Now back to square one.
Its not as bad as it was but its still there.

What was the polygon problem you mentioned?

Sent from my HOX

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
It was a weird screen glitch that reminded me of back in the days of early polygonal games (especially PS1) where random polygons would jump from their intended location and leave a white triangle/shape for a flickering moment. Seems to have been fixed.