Help a noob with phiremod v2

Pyro6128

Dec 11, 2010
Hi, I'm new here. I've been a member of droid forums for a while and came over after reading about the nook. I finally pulled the trigger, bought it, and rooted it right away. However, flashing roms on this seems to be a lot more difficult than it is with my d1 and d2. I read around but am still having trouble.

I have CWM 3.0.0.5. I downloaded phiremod v2, put it on the root of my sd card, wiped, and tried to flash it through CWM, and it keeps on aborting. What could be the issue?

Also, are there any other roms that I can flash using CWM, without having to have an extra sd card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hi, I'm new here. I've been a member of droid forums for a while and came over after reading about the nook. I finally pulled the trigger, bought it, and rooted it right away. However, flashing roms on this seems to be a lot more difficult than it is with my d1 and d2. I read around but am still having trouble.

I have CWM 3.0.0.5. I downloaded phiremod v2, put it on the root of my sd card, wiped, and tried to flash it through CWM, and it keeps on aborting. What could be the issue?

Also, are there any other roms that I can flash using CWM, without having to have an extra sd card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome. :)

hmm.......
-Are you trying to flash the rom from inside CWR Rom manager app?
-Did you extract the rom zip file?
-Describe the aborting?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi there, you don't need an extra SD card for the ROMs some people just prefer one for back ups and one for flasing. As far as your issue you should verfiy that you have a good downlaod of the zip file (MD5 check). That could cause the problem you are experiencing.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hi there, you don't need an extra SD card for the ROMs some people just prefer one for back ups and one for flasing. As far as your issue you should verfiy that you have a good downlaod of the zip file (MD5 check). That could cause the problem you are experiencing.

Good thinking JP. I may be over analyzing this one; it could be as simple as a bad file download. :)

Pyro6128

Dec 11, 2010
thanks for the responses. I was trying to install through recovery. This time i tried installing again, but through rom manager, and it seemed to go through. How can I tell if it actually worked?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
thanks for the responses. I was trying to install through recovery. This time i tried installing again, but through rom manager, and it seemed to go through. How can I tell if it actually worked?

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was asking if you were installing from rom mamager b/c you shouldn't if you were. Only flash (install) roms, kernels, etc. from outside the operating system in CWR.

Pyro6128

Dec 11, 2010
Sorry I wasn't clear, I was asking if you were installing from rom mamager b/c you shouldn't if you were. Only flash (install) roms, kernels, etc. from outside the operating system in CWR.

I guess I'll try to redownload it. Just so I'm clear, I can redownload it, put it on the root of my sd card, reboot into clockword, wipe data, then select the zip and flash? Am I missing something? How will I know if it was flashed properly?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think you have it right, make sure to wipe the cache and davlik cache (sometimes this hangs but just reboot into CWR and try again). After selecting the zip reboot and you will know you did it right if you boot up into ADW launcher. If you are using a bootable CWR on the SD make sure to take it out after flashing the zip before powering back up.

Pyro6128

Dec 11, 2010
It was aborted again when I tried to install. It says

"assert failed: get prop("ro.product.device") =="encore" ll get prop ("ro.build.product") =="encore" ll getprop (ro.product.board")=="encore"
E: Error in /sdcard/phiremod-nook-V2.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

What does this mean?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Since the install instructions are written for an advanced user and we ALL know some noob will be flashing this bad boy, here is a VERY detailed step by step, please let me know if I missed something or if I emitted an important step or language, thanks.

* Complete Installation instructions for noobs: phiremod_v.2(Beta)
1. Downloaded phiremod.zip
2. Downloaded Froyo oc kernels
3. Placed downloads onto my bootable CWR SD
4. On NC - booted into recovery (CWR)
5. Created nand backup of existing state

At this point, if you do NOT know what step 5 is and how to do it, please walk away from this tutorial and learn about how to make a backup. Because if you don't and you flash this ROM and screw up then you will be whining about a "Bricked" or screwed up Nook Color. And frankly, we don't want to hear it. If you are flashing this ROM (or any ROM to the internal eMMC) then you damn sure better know how to backup and restore BEFORE you flash. Got it? Good, you may continue now.

6. Connected to PC via USB, copied latest nand backup to PC storage
7. Disconnected NC from PC, powered down
8. Inserted bootable CWR Sd
9. Booted into recovery
10. Wiped Cache
11. Advanced -> Wiped Dalvik Cache
12. Mounts & Storage -> formatted /system and /data
13. Install from .zip -> selected phiremod.zip
14. Mounts & Storge -> unmount SD (then removed Sd from NC)
15. Reboot NC
16. let it sit for 5 min as instructed
16. @ Unlock screen, "Complete action using" --> com.android.provision.DefaultActivity
17. Turned off screen (power button tap) and turned back on (power button tap)
18. @ Back up data -- i deselected then clicked "Finish Setup"
19. @ Android -- tapped Android to load setup
20. @ ? -- Skip
21. @ Google Acct sign-in/up --> Skip
22. @ Use Google Location --> deselected both, Next
23. @ many options:
Automatic (Use network provided values) --> leave unchecked
Set Date --> left alone
Select Time zone --> selected my timezone
Set Time --> left alone
Use 24-hour format --> preference
Select date format --> preference
24. "Complete action using" --> ADW or Softkeys --> ADW
I noticed a gmail login step in the background here that i didn't return too, instead i was at my desktop
25. 'OK' for changelog of ADW
26. launch Softkeys from App Drawer (need this for the menu and back buttons)
27. launch Settings from App Drawer --> Enable WiFi
28. from Settings --> Open WiFi Settings --> connect to router
29. from Settings --> Mobile network settings --> deselected Data enabled & Data roaming
30. launch You Tube from app drawer --> Accept ToS
using softkeys, open menu and select My Channel (bottom left icon)
Add Account (use your gmail account)
return home
31. launch Settings from App Drawer --> Accounts & sync settings
select your gmail account
check the Sync Contacts & Sync Gmail boxes (will auto sync immediately)
return home
32. launch Market Enabler from App Drawer
tap Settings List
press and hold on T-Mobile
select 'fake this provider now'
allow superuser
return home
33. launch Market --> Accept ToS (verify apps show up)
34. see below
35. Reboot (this will adjust the lockscreen properly and help straighten things up).
I removed step 34 for now because it doesn't seem to work as I intended and I am trying to figure out why. I will include it here for reference and maybe someone can help me get it straight:

We have a very good thread on this rom with many great tips and observations, I recommend people give it a read before flashing.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...emod-nook-beta-2-themed-froyo-2-2-1-a-10.html

Pyro6128

Dec 11, 2010
thanks for the reply. I had read that thread before and still ahd some issues. Nookie froyo worked on the first try, so I think I'm just going to stick with that for now. ALl I'm really after is the android experience with flash. Any other extras I don't really need, at least not until I become more well versed in all of this

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
It was aborted again when I tried to install. It says

"assert failed: get prop("ro.product.device") =="encore" ll get prop ("ro.build.product") =="encore" ll getprop (ro.product.board")=="encore"
E: Error in /sdcard/phiremod-nook-V2.zip
(Status 7)
Installation Aborted

What does this mean?

After 20 or so minutes of sleepy research, Status 7 means mismatch between the zip file and the device.

So... you either have the wrong zip file, a bad zip file or wrong version of CWR installed.
phiremod-nook-V2.zip (87.28 MB)

Did you install this CWR: recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-nookcolor.zip

reference: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

Pyro6128

Dec 11, 2010
yea I downloaded clockwork from that thread, and followed the directions. I also downloaded phiremod from the page over at XDA. I installed nookie froyo, but the market doesn't come loaded on it, so doing anything with it is going to be cumbersome since I have to install everything through adb and even then there are still tons of issues. This is starting to get really disappointing. I would like phiremod since I understand it comes with the market, but I can't get it to install for some reason

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
yea I downloaded clockwork from that thread, and followed the directions. I also downloaded phiremod from the page over at XDA. I installed nookie froyo, but the market doesn't come loaded on it, so doing anything with it is going to be cumbersome since I have to install everything through adb and even then there are still tons of issues. This is starting to get really disappointing. I would like phiremod since I understand it comes with the market, but I can't get it to install for some reason

Just to clarify, are you trying to install the phiremod that is based off of CM7 nightly? If you are, then you have to follow my instructions and install using a bootable SD with CWR v3.0.0.6, and not use v3.0.0.5. The errors you were getting I think are the result of having the older CWR and trying to install the newer phiremod. If I am assuming wrong, ignore this. If I am on track, please let me know and I can help you through it. :)

Pyro6128

Dec 11, 2010
Ohhhhhhh, after you told me to double check i realized I've been downloading V2 and not beta 2, which is the one I want. I'll give that a go and report back! Got my fingers crossed!