Help? Sending my Color Nook in for a warranty replacement.. will I get in trouble?

shurething

Jun 9, 2011
Hey there is an issue with the installation of the housing on my color nook. It's a certified pre-owned device and I have it setup for dual boot into gingerbread (I bought it off of craigslist already rooted). My question is since they said if they find a problem with it they will charge my card. I know the housing is unrelated to the rooting but will they see that it was rooted. It has the clean OS when you remove the SD card. But is there something I need to do first? Thanks for your help. I would hate for this to blow up in my face.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hey there is an issue with the installation of the housing on my color nook. It's a certified pre-owned device and I have it setup for dual boot into gingerbread (I bought it off of craigslist already rooted). My question is since they said if they find a problem with it they will charge my card. I know the housing is unrelated to the rooting but will they see that it was rooted. It has the clean OS when you remove the SD card. But is there something I need to do first? Thanks for your help. I would hate for this to blow up in my face.

Nothing to do if the OS is stock when you remove the card.

JP :D

shurething

Jun 9, 2011
Cool thanks.. I was reading up on rooting it myself and saw a screamin deal on one that was already done..

shurething

Jun 9, 2011
So when I get the new one the OS will work the same way right? just pop it in? Why doesn't everyone do it this way? is it that the speed is better when it's not on the SD card? I did notice a little lag and screen click issues.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Cool thanks.. I was reading up on rooting it myself and saw a screamin deal on one that was already done..

I wouldn't buy one just because it was rooted already it is not worth any extra money because of it and frequently you can have more problems than doing it yourself. Many times already we have had to help people clear a poor install by somebody else and then help them root it anyway. If it is a good deal then do it for that reason, not because it is a good deal on something another has supposedly done.

The process is very easy and you have several options doing it yourself.

JP

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So when I get the new one the OS will work the same way right? just pop it in? Why doesn't everyone do it this way? is it that the speed is better when it's not on the SD card? I did notice a little lag and screen click issues.

Speed depends on the SD card. If you get the right one then you can run nearly as fast from a bootable SD card as from the internal memory. Unfortunately the specs that make a card fast do not appear on the packaging so you don't know until you buy one (SanDisk micro SD cards tend to run fast in the Nook color generally speaking).

One reason you may not want to run your OS from an SD card is if you change cards frequently. Say you have lots of music, movies and books and you have a different card for each library. Running from internal memory you can pop out the books SD card and then pop in the movies card. You can't do this when running a bootable card.

JP

shurething

Jun 9, 2011
I wouldn't buy one just because it was rooted already it is not worth any extra money because of it and frequently you can have more problems than doing it yourself. Many times already we have had to help people clear a poor install by somebody else and then help them root it anyway. If it is a good deal then do it for that reason, not because it is a good deal on something another has supposedly done.

The process is very easy and you have several options doing it yourself.

JP

Makes sense.. I checked it out this guy did a good job on it. Apparently some of the certified pre-owned ones had the "face plates" put on incorrectly and this one is loose so I'm sending it back for a new one.