How copy files from my Windows desktop PC?

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
I'm considering buying a Galaxy Tab 10.1. How would do I copy files from it to the Galaxy Tab? I don't have bluebooth on my desktop PC, and I understand the Galaxy Tab has no SD card slot or USB port.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The cable it comes with is for charging and usb sync. Cable is Samsung proprietary to usb. This always annoyed me with Samsung tabs, like they are channeling Apple.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
In case you didn't understand that answer, the usb sync cable can be used. Also, you can connect via Bluetooth or even WiFi with different apps

Sent from my Nexus S using Android Tablet Forum

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
Thanks, Tom T. I'm trying to envision it but my mind is drawing a blank because I'm such a newcomer. There's a port on the GT that receives a cable, and this cable connects on the other end either to a wall outlet for charging or to another computer's USB port? I can't see how a single cable could do that. Seems like there'd have to be one cable for charging the battery and a separate one for connecting to another computer's USB port? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
Thanks, PBrauer. I'm assuming I can't use Bluetooth to copy files to my Windows desktop since it doesn't have Bluetooth. Or can I buy a Bluetooth adapter for my desktop? Is that a dongle? Would that be worth it?

And you're saying I can even use WiFi to copy files? You're referring to the wireless signal that my router puts out? How would that work to copy files?

This is a brand new amazing world to me, and I am really enjoying the educational ride. Thanks for all the help.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Just to clarify the usb cable, one end is compatible with the Samsung port, the other end is standard usb. The usb can be plugged into the usb charger that then plugs into the wall, or it can be removed from the charger and plugged into your computers usb port.
A usb cable is designed to allow the supply of power as well as transfer of data.
Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
Ah, I totally get it now. The other end can plug into either the USB-based charger or the other computer's USB port. Thanks.

In that case, it seems that the lack of either an SD card slot or a USB port on the GT is not that big a deal if you're simply trying to copy files. Just use the USB cable.

OK, but an SD card slot does effectively give you extra storage right on the tablet. Do GT users find that they miss having an SD card slot?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
I'm considering buying a Galaxy Tab 10.1. How would do I copy files from it to the Galaxy Tab? I don't have bluebooth on my desktop PC, and I understand the Galaxy Tab has no SD card slot or USB port.

A couple of optioks for you....you heard about the usb cable another way is to use wifi - dropbox and or sugarsync work well you can also use es file manager and set it up to access yoir pc via LAN

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

rick7

Oct 19, 2011
A couple of optioks for you....you heard about the usb cable another way is to use wifi - dropbox and or sugarsync work well you can also use es file manager and set it up to access yoir pc via LAN

Right, thanks -- I don't get how I would use WiFi to copy files to my desktop PC. Right now my desktop gets its internet via a wired connection to my wireless modem. How would I be able to copy files from my tablet to the desktop via WiFi? I'm sure I'm missing something here but I don't know what it is! Thanks.