How to add apps to an un-rooted Nook Tablet (not Nook Color)

Discussion in 'Nook Tablet' started by BoloMKXXVIII, Nov 17, 2011.

1. BoloMKXXVIII

BoloMKXXVIII Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    NC 1.1.0 Zeam, Button Savior
    • Like Like x 4
  2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    This is a good find :)
  3. Spider

Spider Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted/Flashed Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
    Very nice, they really are making it easy.
  4. tonyp

tonyp Junior Member

The Amazom Appstore install didn't really work for me. When I went to Open it it showed me a screen that had a bunch of buttons - Force stop, Uninstall, Clear data, Move to SD card, Clear cache, Clear Defaults. Is the Appstore icon called AppMenu? That's what I got when I did the Open after the package install.
  5. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    Nope, that's not the App Store that's the applications menu of the Nook. You might need to do something like check the "allow unknown sources" box while there but launching the App Store should not take you there. Was this only after your initial download? Did you install the App Store after downloading?
  6. tonyp

tonyp Junior Member

I did the "Allow Unknown Sources" before doing the package install but I still got this when I selected "Open". Can I reinstall the package?

Can I search for the App and try running it directly? I tried using Search but didn't know what to look for.
  7. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    Use search for Amazon or Appstore (all one word) and see what comes up. Also did you click the link in the email from Amazon from inside the Nook to download the apk?
  8. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    You can also download goluancher or another working launcher to get an alternate home launcher. Then when you are in the alternate launcher you should be able to go to the app drawer and see the non-B&N apps that you have installed.
  9. tonyp

tonyp Junior Member

Is that the best alternate launcher? If I do that can I revert back to the stock launcher?

I downloaded the app from here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-appstore/android
  10. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    I don't know that it is the best alternate launcher but it seems to be the one everybody is using at the moment. Personally I like the simple little zeam launcher but haven't heard if it works on the NT. As for the app that should work (I see you followed the article) but I don't have an NT so I'm not sure.

For the app, usually you go to Amazon and enter your email for the Appstore app then they email you a link to download it (basically the same link). Then from your email app on the device you click on the link and the apk downloads. I am guessing that if you clicked on that link in you NT browser the apk downloaded, at which point you should have received a notification in the tray saying new item downloaded. Open the notification tray and click on the new item to install. Then you should have the Amazon Appstore app. Usually this would install in the app drawer but because NT uses a custom home launcher this doesn't happen.

Supposedly you can find the downloaded apps by using the search feature but this also seems to not be working for you. The other way to access the apps is via the app drawer on an alternate home launcher. That is why I think you should try and download and install go launcher. Here is a direct link to the apk http://61.145.124.93/soft/3GHeart/golauncher/v2.65/GO_Launcher_EX_V2.65.apk
  11. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    By default even after you install another home launcher you are still going to be stuck with the B&N home launcher (so yes you can revert to stock). This is not the preferred home launcher scenario since you can't access all the apps but what NT users are stuck with until more progress is made rooting (then you can switch back and forth at will).
  12. tonyp

tonyp Junior Member

I guess this is what has me stumped. I installed GoLauncher (thanks for the link). It installed fine and I opened it (it opened!). I flipped through the intro pages and got to where I then downloaded the DeskMigrate app. That installed okay. I then made the mistake of hitting the NT default home screen. How do I get back to the GoLauncher display?????
  13. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    Use the search and type in "go" or "launch" and that should bring it up. Sort of kludgey but works.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. tonyp

tonyp Junior Member

Right. I didn't realize it was case sensitive. When I typed in "GO" it worked (but not "go" - go figure). I'm looking at the apps and I don't see an Amazon Store app. Is it called Amazon Store?

...Woo-hoo! Got it to work. For some reason the first download didn't work. I went back to the link in the liliputing web page for the direct Amazon Store app download and did it again. This time when I installed it it came up and now shows up in GoLauncher. Thanks JP!
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  15. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    Glad you gots its working tony. Enjoy your NT and let us kow what you think now that you have some additional toys to play with.

:) JP
  16. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
  17. tonyp

tonyp Junior Member

Thanks again JP. Good link. I have another post here asking about file managers with root access, but I see it looks like they have ES File Explorer working on the NT. I have the Amazon Store, the Amazon Prime service, and a couple of the listed apps working now on the NT.

So far I'm liking the NT. I was at home today, so I had the device on since about 2:00 and turned it off at about 8:30. It wasn't actually in active use the whole time, but I left it on even when I wasn't using it. The battery indicator showed it still had 5+ hours remaining on it. Not bad.

The speaker is only okay, IMO. It seems for most audio, the volume needs to be at or need max to hear it okay. So I'm not sure what most of the lower range of the volume control will actually do for anyone (and my hearing is quite good). I also don't care for the placement of the power button on the left, and the volume buttons directly opposite on the right. At least for me, the natural motion of my hand to grab and press the power button causes me to also hit one or the other of the volume buttons. The ergonomics there could have been better. The headphone output sounds good, although I would have put the jack along the bottom edge. At the top there's a likelihood the cord will flop across the screen. But apart from these user interface observations I have all positives for the display quality and speed. Hoping B&N releases the source code soon so this thing will really be able to rock!
  18. NewTabUser

NewTabUser Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Tablet, Coby 7127
    Hi JP,
    I installed Go Launcher on my daughter's NT, d/l a few apps from Amazon appstore... all is working well thanks to you and this forum. Couple of questions:

- Minor quirk, but my daughter is using a photo for her background, and after installing GO LAUNCHER, it zooms in on the pic slightly. There seems to be no way of fixing it to the way it looks before I installed GO LAUNCHER. However, after we turn off the NT for a while and turn it back on, it defaults back to the way it's supposed to look.

- How do I delete apps? I d/l an Android game (Penguins), and I think it was meant for a smartphone as it's very small size on the screen!

Thanks in advance for your help.
  19. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    There are several ways to uninstall. You can install the App Menu app (http://suipre.com/AppMenu.apk) and then go to Manage Applications like in the standard Android menu or use an app management tool such as Titanium Backup which also allows you to freeze apps, clear their data or restore apps.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. JArmandB

JArmandB Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby MID7022
    When I try to open the amazon appstore .apk i get an error telling me to "Archive" and then "Unarchive" the application. Any ideas?