How to add apps to an un-rooted Nook Tablet (not Nook Color)

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
The Amazom Appstore install didn't really work for me. When I went to Open it it showed me a screen that had a bunch of buttons - Force stop, Uninstall, Clear data, Move to SD card, Clear cache, Clear Defaults. Is the Appstore icon called AppMenu? That's what I got when I did the Open after the package install.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nope, that's not the App Store that's the applications menu of the Nook. You might need to do something like check the "allow unknown sources" box while there but launching the App Store should not take you there. Was this only after your initial download? Did you install the App Store after downloading?

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Nope, that's not the App Store that's the applications menu of the Nook. You might need to do something like check the "allow unknown sources" box while there but launching the App Store should not take you there. Was this only after your initial download? Did you install the App Store after downloading?

I did the "Allow Unknown Sources" before doing the package install but I still got this when I selected "Open". Can I reinstall the package?

Can I search for the App and try running it directly? I tried using Search but didn't know what to look for.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Use search for Amazon or Appstore (all one word) and see what comes up. Also did you click the link in the email from Amazon from inside the Nook to download the apk?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can also download goluancher or another working launcher to get an alternate home launcher. Then when you are in the alternate launcher you should be able to go to the app drawer and see the non-B&N apps that you have installed.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't know that it is the best alternate launcher but it seems to be the one everybody is using at the moment. Personally I like the simple little zeam launcher but haven't heard if it works on the NT. As for the app that should work (I see you followed the article) but I don't have an NT so I'm not sure.

For the app, usually you go to Amazon and enter your email for the Appstore app then they email you a link to download it (basically the same link). Then from your email app on the device you click on the link and the apk downloads. I am guessing that if you clicked on that link in you NT browser the apk downloaded, at which point you should have received a notification in the tray saying new item downloaded. Open the notification tray and click on the new item to install. Then you should have the Amazon Appstore app. Usually this would install in the app drawer but because NT uses a custom home launcher this doesn't happen.

Supposedly you can find the downloaded apps by using the search feature but this also seems to not be working for you. The other way to access the apps is via the app drawer on an alternate home launcher. That is why I think you should try and download and install go launcher. Here is a direct link to the apk http://61.145.124.93/soft/3GHeart/golauncher/v2.65/GO_Launcher_EX_V2.65.apk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
By default even after you install another home launcher you are still going to be stuck with the B&N home launcher (so yes you can revert to stock). This is not the preferred home launcher scenario since you can't access all the apps but what NT users are stuck with until more progress is made rooting (then you can switch back and forth at will).

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
By default even after you install another home launcher you are still going to be stuck with the B&N home launcher (so yes you can revert to stock). This is not the preferred home launcher scenario since you can't access all the apps but what NT users are stuck with until more progress is made rooting (then you can switch back and forth at will).

I guess this is what has me stumped. I installed GoLauncher (thanks for the link). It installed fine and I opened it (it opened!). I flipped through the intro pages and got to where I then downloaded the DeskMigrate app. That installed okay. I then made the mistake of hitting the NT default home screen. How do I get back to the GoLauncher display?????

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Right. I didn't realize it was case sensitive. When I typed in "GO" it worked (but not "go" - go figure). I'm looking at the apps and I don't see an Amazon Store app. Is it called Amazon Store?

...Woo-hoo! Got it to work. For some reason the first download didn't work. I went back to the link in the liliputing web page for the direct Amazon Store app download and did it again. This time when I installed it it came up and now shows up in GoLauncher. Thanks JP!

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Glad you gots its working tony. Enjoy your NT and let us kow what you think now that you have some additional toys to play with.

:) JP