How to add apps to an un-rooted Nook Tablet (not Nook Color)

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Thanks again JP. Good link. I have another post here asking about file managers with root access, but I see it looks like they have ES File Explorer working on the NT. I have the Amazon Store, the Amazon Prime service, and a couple of the listed apps working now on the NT.

So far I'm liking the NT. I was at home today, so I had the device on since about 2:00 and turned it off at about 8:30. It wasn't actually in active use the whole time, but I left it on even when I wasn't using it. The battery indicator showed it still had 5+ hours remaining on it. Not bad.

The speaker is only okay, IMO. It seems for most audio, the volume needs to be at or need max to hear it okay. So I'm not sure what most of the lower range of the volume control will actually do for anyone (and my hearing is quite good). I also don't care for the placement of the power button on the left, and the volume buttons directly opposite on the right. At least for me, the natural motion of my hand to grab and press the power button causes me to also hit one or the other of the volume buttons. The ergonomics there could have been better. The headphone output sounds good, although I would have put the jack along the bottom edge. At the top there's a likelihood the cord will flop across the screen. But apart from these user interface observations I have all positives for the display quality and speed. Hoping B&N releases the source code soon so this thing will really be able to rock!

NewTabUser

Nov 22, 2011
Glad you gots its working tony. Enjoy your NT and let us kow what you think now that you have some additional toys to play with.

:) JP
Hi JP,
I installed Go Launcher on my daughter's NT, d/l a few apps from Amazon appstore... all is working well thanks to you and this forum. Couple of questions:

- Minor quirk, but my daughter is using a photo for her background, and after installing GO LAUNCHER, it zooms in on the pic slightly. There seems to be no way of fixing it to the way it looks before I installed GO LAUNCHER. However, after we turn off the NT for a while and turn it back on, it defaults back to the way it's supposed to look.

- How do I delete apps? I d/l an Android game (Penguins), and I think it was meant for a smartphone as it's very small size on the screen!

Thanks in advance for your help.

JArmandB

Jul 13, 2011
When I try to open the amazon appstore .apk i get an error telling me to "Archive" and then "Unarchive" the application. Any ideas?

JArmandB

Jul 13, 2011
I had done that. It's funny, but the apk from the xda-developers must have apps link worked, but the direct download from amazon didn't.

Vartarg

Nov 27, 2011
I had done the step where I checked "Allow Unknown Sources" and also downloaded the Amazon app link, as well as the Go Launcher....but when I go to My Files, and click on them, it tells me that the NT can't read the files....may be unsupported format.

Where do I go from here???

Thanks for al of the info on the forum, and this thread!

George

akalukz

Dec 17, 2011
ok i have made it two where i can get the amazon app to run on my nook tablet however, once i try to install an app it gives me an error message similar to

"there was an error purchasing (app). Please click here to verify your payment method.,,

It takes me to the one click purchasing error of my account, which I have enabled but since the nook doesn't have a phone number what can I use?

Just bought nook today and love it so far

FPGFHFMA

Dec 13, 2011
I have followed the directions and everything went fine, I now have access to the Amazon Market. I added the go launcher could not find the astro file manager so had to settle for the Gemeni however I note now that the AUTOROTATION is not as responsive as before and the homescreen which used to autorotate will not. The webpages are fine although a little slower to react.
Yes I have checked all the settings including the one inside SETTINGS and the WEBPAGE setting as well. Was wondering if others have had the same issue?

Jan 1, 2012
If I did the "erase and deregister," would that not take my NT back to factory 1.4.0? I am having trouble doing the way on here. When I put that folder on my nook, put it in my nook, then turn my nook on, the nook doesn't go say "loading." Instead it keeps telling me to restart and try again. I have even tried putting a "boot file" on the card, then the 1.4.0 folder. Am I doing it wrong, or do I have a bad card?

Jan 1, 2012
The comptonsoft.com/test/ apk file won't even open. How am I supposed to sideload apps?!

First off... make sure you are on 1.4.0 not 1.4.1! If you need to revert to the 1.4.0. Albert Wertz has a good video on it, and using XDA's site.

if you have 1.4.0, when you go to http://comptonsoft.com/test/ on your NT(not your computer), make sure you are downloading the first one, AppMenu. It is a replacement for TGPS_Launcher. You will see a shevron (3 V's) in the bottom left corner. Click on it, and when it is done downloading open packet(not app). This AppMenu will get you to a hidden settings menu you need to be able to sideload. Check mark the top box.

I hope this helps.