(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

reiter883r

Feb 27, 2011
When running the ROM Manager and flashing CWR, it asks to confirm the phone model: "Nook Color (Old)" or "Nook Color".

How do you decide which selection is correct?

Thanks,
Mark

jmemmott

Nov 21, 2010
When running the ROM Manager and flashing CWR, it asks to confirm the phone model: "Nook Color (Old)" or "Nook Color".

How do you decide which selection is correct?

Thanks,
Mark

I would suggest "Nook Color (Old)" for now. I went through this yesterday and "Nook Color" installed 3.0.0.6. That version failed to backup because it could not mount /system, /data, ... "Nook Color (Old)" reverted to 3.0.0.5 and I was able to get through the rest of these instructions without issue.

nikkai

Feb 27, 2011
Okay, I hate to add to all the cries for help... but help. =(

What I've done:

Stock 1.0.1
-Autonooted 2.12.25
Took steps to activate etc

-But I chose NOT to flash CWR - (Was concerned about choosing Nook vs Nook (old) )

-Instead I booted from a bootable CWR uSD

-I sideloaded Decad3nce's Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 ROM from there (without wiping anything per his instructions)

-Again, not much of a hitch (though the first time I did this, it was fine, but then got stuck in the Touch the Future of Reading boot loop, which forced me to redo it - reflashing to rooted stock 1.0.1)

-Then again, using the bootable CWR, I updated the kernel with update-eclair-dalingrin-OC-emmc-22311.zip
- Wiped Cache, no problems (though gave that E:cannot mount cache etc....) -normal
- Weird thing - after wiping dalvik cache, CWR locked up (which I think was reported) -normal
- I reset, try wiping again, locks up
- Annoyed, I reset, and just flash the kernel

Boots fine, SetCPU 1.1/600. Works fine all night.

This morning, turn it on and it's stuck in the touch-loop.

What gives? Any help is appreciated - I'm a little tired of having to reset this thing back to stock so many times. It seems as though it's stable in the beginning (I turned it on and off several times throughout the night without a hitch, then it has a rough night of sitting on my desk powered off and boom, the next morning, nada.

**edit: Oh and now when I plug it in, the NC keeps trying to turn on even after I power off - and gets stuck at the touch loop

Last edited by a moderator:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Okay, I hate to add to all the cries for help... but help. =(

What I've done:

Stock 1.0.1
-Autonooted 2.12.25
Took steps to activate etc

-But I chose NOT to flash CWR - (Was concerned about choosing Nook vs Nook (old) )

-Instead I booted from a bootable CWR uSD

-I sideloaded Decad3nce's Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 ROM from there (without wiping anything per his instructions)

-Again, not much of a hitch (though the first time I did this, it was fine, but then got stuck in the Touch the Future of Reading boot loop, which forced me to redo it - reflashing to rooted stock 1.0.1)

-Then again, using the bootable CWR, I updated the kernel with update-eclair-dalingrin-OC-emmc-22311.zip
- Wiped Cache, no problems (though gave that E:cannot mount cache etc....)
- Weird thing - after wiping dalvik cache, CWR locked up (which I think was reported)
- I reset, try wiping again, locks up
- Annoyed, I reset, and just flash the kernel

Boots fine, SetCPU 1.1/600. Works fine all night.

This morning, turn it on and it's stuck in the touch-loop.

What gives? Any help is appreciated - I'm a little tired of having to reset this thing back to stock so many times. It seems as though it's stable in the beginning (I turned it on and off several times throughout the night without a hitch, then it has a rough night of sitting on my desk powered off and boom, the next morning, nada.

**edit: Oh and now when I plug it in, the NC keeps trying to turn on even after I power off - and gets stuck at the touch loop

Welcome. Using SD booted CWR is mainly to fix problems, install 3.0.0.5 internally per tutorial and you won't have issues. The tutoiral is written that way for a reason. Going off script can lead to problems. :)

The NC turns on when plugged in, this is normal for all rooted and I believe non-rooted NCs as well. You can use Nook Color Tools to have your screen turn off while charging.

guthrien

Feb 25, 2011
Thank you for the guide. Some clarification on which Nook model to use might be helpful, I didn't choose "old" the first time and it ruined my install. Perhaps it depends on other factors but I happened to choose the other on my unsuccessful attempt.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
This is the first I have heard of the options for "Nook Color (old)" or "Nook Color" when asking about device... what download are you using to install ROM Manager that gives you this? Also, what version does ROM Manager show up as?

EDIT:

OK, I looked into this and the "old" device will flash v3.0.0.5 to the internal recovery and the non-"old" will flash v3.0.0.6 to the device.

So you need to select the appropriate device depending on the ROM you have installed.

If you are installing any CM or CM-based ROM, you need to select "Nook Color". (Giving you CWR v3.0.0.6 which is ext4)

If you are installing a B&N or Stock Rom (1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.1.0, Eclair, Froyo), you need to select "Nook Color (Old)". (Giving you CWR v3.0.0.5 which is ext3)

EDIT AGAIN: I might have been wrong, so I am waiting for confirmation to determine if what I stated above is accurate or not...

Last edited:

crispian

Feb 27, 2011
I'd like to second the recommendation to clarify which Nook Color to choose. I have an NC, 1.1.0, autonootered 3.0.0 and I installed ROM Manager (v3.0.1.0) from the market and used it to install CWM 3.0.0.6 by choosing "Nook Color" rather than "Nook Color (old)" at Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. I then did the reboot before rebooting into recovery and then wiped the cache and tried to wipe the Davlik cache, but every time I chose that it just went back to the same menu without doing anything. I then flashed Dalingrin's OC kernel and it seemed to work fine- SetCPU allowed me to OC up to 1100. BUT I lost access to the Market- everything I tried to install came back "Download Unsuccessful".

I finally, after much reading, removing CWM and reinstalling it 2 or 3 times etc. tried choosing "Nook Color (old)". This installed CWM 3.0.0.5 which DID let me wipe the Davlik cache and then when I installed the OC kernel it worked and I could download from the Market again :)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Correct, the new ROM Manager (v3.0.1.0) and the new CWR (v3.0.0.6) is only a day or so old, and thus the instructions haven't been updated because you fine folks are the first to find these stumbling blocks and thus herald a new set of instructions! Thank you! :)

nikkai

Feb 27, 2011
Welcome. Using SD booted CWR is mainly to fix problems, install 3.0.0.5 internally per tutorial and you won't have issues. The tutoiral is written that way for a reason. Going off script can lead to problems. :)

The NC turns on when plugged in, this is normal for all rooted and I believe non-rooted NCs as well. You can use Nook Color Tools to have your screen turn off while charging.

Thanks Rico, you rock =) I'll start over and update w/ results =)

Update: Okay so far so good - I'll report back in 24 hours or so to see if it had a quiet night. Just like a new baby! =P

btw: Where's the "Thanks button?" Would love to give credit where it's due =)

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks Rico, you rock =) I'll start over and update w/ results =)

Update: Okay so far so good - I'll report back in 24 hours or so to see if it had a quiet night. Just like a new baby! =P

btw: Where's the "Thanks button?" Would love to give credit where it's due =)

Np, hopefully you should be able to install CWR 3.0.0.5 internally and flash the 1.1r2 rom without issue. No thanks to me is needed, but it's on left side of screen under each post. The forum has thanked me enough by making this android fan a mod. :)

nikkai

Feb 27, 2011
Np, hopefully you should be able to install CWR 3.0.0.5 internally and flash the 1.1r2 rom without issue. No thanks to me is needed, but it's on left side of screen under each post. The forum has thanked me enough by making this android fan a mod. :)

Just an update- so running after updating per your recs

Oc'd to 1.1/600 but after powering off for a few hours rebooted: normally touch the future boot screen takes ten seconds to move on. But now takes about a minute, loads then auto reboots then stable. Trying to fix by lowering to of 1000/600, but open to suggestions

Edit: Changing to 1000/600 didn't help any... still taking as long for initial boot past "touch the future of reading" before moving on to booting w/ a subsequent autoboot before stability. =(

Weridness.

Btw, where in Nook Color Options is this?
You can use Nook Color Tools to have your screen turn off while charging.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

mtnbc

Feb 27, 2011
New here, but when I try to back up using CRW, it gives me an error: "Can't mount /system!" Any idea how to fix this? Thanks for your help!

nikkai

Feb 27, 2011
New here, but when I try to back up using CRW, it gives me an error: "Can't mount /system!" Any idea how to fix this? Thanks for your help!

I'm new too, but I'll at least help get the ball rolling:

Could you add details re:

Root method
What OS
From where (internal or SD)
What version of CRW are you using and whether it's from internal or a bootable flash

The more detail the better =)

mtnbc

Feb 27, 2011
I just figured it out. When I first flashed CWR, I used 'nook color', but I guess that 'nook color (old)' is the one to use. I searched the thread, but didn't find anything the first time through, but it was there.
Thanks for the help nikkai! After re-flashing to 'nook color (old)' it is working just fine.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I just figured it out. When I first flashed CWR, I used 'nook color', but I guess that 'nook color (old)' is the one to use. I searched the thread, but didn't find anything the first time through, but it was there.
Thanks for the help nikkai! After re-flashing to 'nook color (old)' it is working just fine.

Yes that is stated a page or two back.