(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
...Well that blows

So what exactly is so important about doing the original backup anway? If you just rooted and have nothing installed or saved, what would you be losing? I'm assuming it's if you crash a ROM and want to get back to the original root setup?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Backups are meant to backup your entire system in case something gets messed up when your are installing a custom rom, kernel, etc. CWR can be buggy at times with certain devices, systems and configurations. I know it is working and stable on autonootered 2 devices (for 1.0.1 nooks) and with the phiremod beta 2 froyo custom rom.

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Well I guess the 1.1 update was my biggest problem. Real bummer I have to reflash all over again and sideload 1.0.1. When I get home from work today I'll get back on that, since I really want to get it working before the walmart return policy is up, just in case.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If you roll your device back at all (8 interrupts), make sure you also factory restore it (erase and deregister) before you reregister, sideload 1.0.1 and reroot.

* edit: I think you have to also remove CWR before rolling back. Vic also has a guide to removing CWR and restoring to a stock image.

Last edited:

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Yeah unfortunately I had to do this once before. The hardest part is paying enough attention to not power off again on the 9th boot when it's on the reset screen.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea I have had to roll my device back twice so far, it is a pain. It was easier the second time around though:)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
If you go through the remove CWR and revert thread I put together, you don't have to worry about the 8 failed reboots (it is done as part of the whole process automatically)...if you are going all the way back to stock anyway.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
...Well that blows

So what exactly is so important about doing the original backup anway? If you just rooted and have nothing installed or saved, what would you be losing? I'm assuming it's if you crash a ROM and want to get back to the original root setup?

I won't worry much. The bug is limited to autonooter 3.0 and like all bugs in any developmental community due to revisions, they are short lived. And this too shall pass. :)

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Rico, CWR has updated twice in the last couple of days, do you think this will make it play better with Autonooter 3.0 or not?

johnjaha

Jan 29, 2011
Cool, cool np. Hopefully just a small CWR issue which a uninstall/reinstall will fix.

Sorry for delay getting back. I uninstalled CWR last weekend and ran for a few days. Then reinstalled CWR and left run for 24 hrs and ran fine. Then powered off and again hanging on "touch the future of reading" when booting. I can still boot into CWR anytime and do a system reboot and it will run fine til I power off or charge.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rico, CWR has updated twice in the last couple of days, do you think this will make it play better with Autonooter 3.0 or not?

Don't know. Someone could try and time will tell. Any change logs for these new updates?

Sorry for delay getting back. I uninstalled CWR last weekend and ran for a few days. Then reinstalled CWR and left run for 24 hrs and ran fine. Then powered off and again hanging on "touch the future of reading" when booting. I can still boot into CWR anytime and do a system reboot and it will run fine til I power off or charge.

Still weirdest issue I've hear so far with the NC. One thing I never asked: are you running the stock kernel? Any by this time, you factory reset and started all over, correct?

johnjaha

Jan 29, 2011
Still weirdest issue I've hear so far with the NC. One thing I never asked: are you running the stock kernel? Any by this time, you factory reset and started all over, correct?

I'm running the stock kernel and i will be doing factory reset this weekend. Thanx and will let you know how it went.

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
Ok, I did a backup with CWmodR on my sd card, not my internal storage, all the necessary files are on my SD card after backup like in the 1st tutorial. So will the updates from B&N automatically be blocked now, or what do I have to do to make sure they're blocked. I'm not really interested in revving my NC up anymore, I have it rooted and a lot of fun apps, and I just want to keep it that way now, but I have very minimal understanding of this stuff (I did the rooting and the CWR by watching a youtube video-because I don't really get this stuff), so please put it in laymen's terms if you could pretty please. I just want to make sure I don't lose my root and have to do all this all over again. Thank you so much.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If you have clockwork recovery installed it should block the ota update.

sent from my rooted nook color

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^ That is an interesting question and situation. Internally installed CWR will block all OTA's but I'm not sure about CWR ran off SD. I would imaging if the sd card is always left in the NC.