(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply and great information!! I appreciate it so much! I just downloaded CWM Rom Manager from the Market today, I would assume that is the latest version (in which case, I follow the second set of steps in your post)? Since I can't get this to boot, I can't check the version number for sure . . .

Yes looks like 3.0.1.3 is the latest on there today. You just need to flash the new recovery.

mkm1126

Mar 13, 2011
Yes looks like 3.0.1.3 is the latest on there today. You just need to flash the new recovery.

Excellent! That worked. Phew!! I be sure to hit the "thanks" button for you!

Is the ROM and Kernel listed in your sig, what you would recommend or a kernal from the OP ?

EDIT: I still show CWMR 3.0.0.5 in ROM Manager, but if I'm understanding what I'm reading, this is normal until after I install a Froyo or above ROM ?

Last edited:

samC

Feb 26, 2011
Yes Rico2001. I finally figured out why the list was incomplete. For some reason, the default was set to "download" only. I now got the complete list showing all the apps that are running. I cleared the cache on Market. Went back to Market and do the install of an app. I stll got the same message "download unsuccessful." All the other apps seemed to be running fine, except Market. I googled this problem. Apparently it is quite common.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yes Rico2001. I finally figured out why the list was incomplete. For some reason, the default was set to "download" only. I now got the complete list showing all the apps that are running. I cleared the cache on Market. Went back to Market and do the install of an app. I stll got the same message "download unsuccessful." All the other apps seemed to be running fine, except Market. I googled this problem. Apparently it is quite common.

Hold tight we aren't done yet. That was just option #1 lol :)

So is it just one app you are having trouble downloading or any app off the market? Do you have Titanium Backup installed?

Last edited:

samC

Feb 26, 2011
No. All apps I wanted to install failed to download. The apps that I had installed before. And I am not talking about the apps that require a cell phone. Based on your reply, there's hope, I hope.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
No. All apps I wanted to install failed to download. The apps that I had installed before. And I am not talking about the apps that require a cell phone. Based on your reply, there's hope, I hope.

Yes we have seen just about every type of issue here on the forum. :)

Try NTC>settings>manager applications>Market:
-force stop, clear cache, exit
Go back to to NTC>settings>manager applications>Market:
-clear cache again
Go back to to NTC>settings>manager applications>Download manager:
-force stop, clear data, clear cache
-reboot

samC

Feb 26, 2011
I appreciate your patience, rico2001. But sorry, it's a no go. I wish android gives a more detail explanation as to why it failed. May be the detail was buried deep inside somewhere which I don't know where to look.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I appreciate your patience, rico2001. But sorry, it's a no go. I wish android gives a more detail explanation as to why it failed. May be the detail was buried deep inside somewhere which I don't know where to look.

Hmm that really should have worked, I wonder if you issues is really market related or something else. Well anyway np, I have nothing but patience. On to plan C. :)

-Upgrade your market app: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-app-fix-lack-apps-showing-portrait-mode.html

question: is your gmail and youtube apps working? You may have a device identifying issue. You running any CWM rom manager?

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Oh oh, plan D (man I forgot about this one, should have been plan B:
-Unmount your SD card, then try to dl from market.

got to go, good luck.

samC

Feb 26, 2011
Yup. The gmail and youtube are working. Somebody somewhere mentioned google framework. I don't have this app running on my NC. Should I? I will try the setup you suggested at the meantime. Thanks.

I don't have a sd card in the NC. So it is not the problem.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yup. The gmail and youtube are working. Somebody somewhere mentioned google framework. I don't have this app running on my NC. Should I? I will try the setup you suggested at the meantime. Thanks.

I don't have a sd card in the NC. So it is not the problem.

Wiping data/cache on Google Services Framework, which is another solution, is only in android 2.2 and up.

Solution 182 or so lol :)
NCT > All Settings > Application Manager > Market: Uninstall updates
-reboot

Solution 183
Find a SD card and put it in

Solution 184
If you have CWM recovery installed
-Boot to CWM recovery
-Wipe cache partition
-Wipe dalvik cache
-reboot

Solution 185
-another factory reset
-remove CWM recovery if installed to restore stock recovery
-8 boot interrupts: flash stock 1.0 rom
-power + n button: wipe data

The funny things is everyone of these solutions works for this issue. It's not a Nook problem, but an android one which ever android device throughout history has saw.

Tell me your current status
-initial issue
-fix for initial issue
-current software
-current root method

samC

Feb 26, 2011
Since I don't have Google Services Framework running, and having GSF is a requirement for Market to work. I think the first thing is to figure out how to get GSF in and working.

Here is how I fixed the broken NC. I used CWR to restore the Nook back to V1.0.1, used autorooter 2.12.25 to root, used Nookcolor v1.1.0_r2 to update the software to 1.1, used autorooter3 to root. "Supposingly", this should bring me back to where it was. It did, except Market is not working and GSF is missing.

Since I can't install any apps through Market, I think I need to install GSF through a sd card, using CWR???

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Since I don't have Google Services Framework running, and having GSF is a requirement for Market to work. I think the first thing is to figure out how to get GSF in and working.

No you misunderstood, you don't need google services framework for market to work, it's just not a service for android 2.1. No NC running 2.1 has GSF.

Here is how I fixed the broken NC. I used CWR to restore the Nook back to V1.0.1, used autorooter 2.12.25 to root, used Nookcolor v1.1.0_r2 to update the software to 1.1, used autorooter3 to root. "Supposingly", this should bring me back to where it was. It did, except Market is not working and GSF is missing.

Wow there is your problem, thats all wrong. Nookcolor v1.1.0_r2 is a pre-rooted custom ROM, you do not root it after you flash to it. You will mess it up. I see now you should start over and do it correctly.

Two options and this is for everyone
1. update to b&n 1.1 then root with autonooter 3.0
or (and don't do both)
2. update to 1.1 if needed, root with autonooter 2.12, install CWM recovery, flash to Nookcolor v1.1.0_r2 ROM

So you need to start all over:
Solution 185
-another factory reset
-remove CWM recovery if installed to restore stock recovery
-8 boot interrupts: flash stock 1.0 rom
-power + n button: wipe data

...then pick whether you want to use b&n software 1.1 or custom roms.

samC

Feb 26, 2011
FINALLY it's working. I chose option 1. It wasn't smooth sailing. Every step, I encountered problems. I could write a book about it. One thing I noticed was the apps that were installed through Market were only visible in Market download, and not in the "extra". I remember all the apps were put in the "extra".

Regardless, it is working now. Sp thank you very much rico2001 for all your help.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
np, give me a few years and I'll solve anything. :)

glad it all worked out.

Last fix for the road: just installed apps won't show up in "extras" until you reboot.