(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

mstrina81

Mar 15, 2011
hi All. I followed the directions from Rico somewhere in this thread. I believe on page 38. Even after flashing the new cwr it went into a boot loop until I cut it off holding powerbutton and cutting back on. It seems to be fine but I'm just afraid to flash anything just in case it wants to go through the bootloop of no return.

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
I blieve you are saying you have CWM ROM Manager installed but you no longer have the CWR Recovery installed. If that is the case you can't follow the second hald of the instructions because you have no CWR to boo into. You would need to flash the CWR from the ROM manager.

If that is not the case and you can boot into some version of CWR then you can follow the second half of the instructions to flash the new CWR from the zip file.

*Good job faceman beat me too it and very thorough to boot (pun intented).

faceman and J515OP - thanks for quick replies. I was not completely clear on teh CWR vs. ROM mgr so that helps A LOT. I am in J5's situation so want to just confirm. Since I have ROM mgr installed but not CWR, do I first open ROM mgr, choose flash CWR, and then do the cwr_recovery steps as noted above or something else? Just wanted to be clear prior to getting into an issue again.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
surf, can you go into your ROM Manager and confirm the version? Just want to make sure you do have the latest.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
faceman and J515OP - thanks for quick replies. I was not completely clear on teh CWR vs. ROM mgr so that helps A LOT. I am in J5's situation so want to just confirm. Since I have ROM mgr installed but not CWR, do I first open ROM mgr, choose flash CWR, and then do the cwr_recovery steps as noted above or something else? Just wanted to be clear prior to getting into an issue again.

3.0.0.5 is listed as the CW Mod... ROM Mgr listed in downloads within Market is 3.0.1.3

If you have no CWR or CWR v3.0.0.5 (or earlier): DO NOT "FLASH CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY" FROM ROM MANAGER - at this time (and version of ROM Manager) it WILL NOT install completely.

The only way to properly install CWR v3.0.1.0 is to do it manually or by using the flashable zip I linked to a few posts back.

To get more technical - there are two main parts to the CWR program, the recovery kernel and the recovery package. ROM Manager does NOT flash the kernel properly, thus ending in a partially installed CWR. So for now, use the flashable zip above.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Face, is that because of the "old Nook" "new Nook" issue? It can be done (*can be does not mean should be*) but it is a coin toss over which to choose at this time? If you got a partial install I thought you could go back and try the other one then it should work? I don't know if it was ever clearly solved in anything I read before but I didn't think it was too hard to correct by picking the option you didn't pick the first time.

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
If you have no CWR or CWR v3.0.0.5 (or earlier): DO NOT "FLASH CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY" FROM ROM MANAGER - at this time (and version of ROM Manager) it WILL NOT install completely.

The only way to properly install CWR v3.0.1.0 is to do it manually or by using the flashable zip I linked to a few posts back.

To get more technical - there are two main parts to the CWR program, the recovery kernel and the recovery package. ROM Manager does NOT flash the kernel properly, thus ending in a partially installed CWR. So for now, use the flashable zip above.

OK so you want me to use this:
Link to flashable CWR v3.0.1.0 zip file (this should be placed whole onto the above bootable SD and installed via CWR)
---cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip - md5: d7a550d683e54732bcb55eff24ada704
Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Correct?
I don't have a 'blank' sdcard at the moment so will either have to backup my existing one and use that to create the bootable sdcard or get a new one. I'll follow the instructions for the bootable sd and place the zip mentioned above onto the root of the card and go from there. Once that process is done, is there anything I need to do other than book into CWR and run a backup (just to ensure I have a new/good backup)? Thanks!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Face, is that because of the "old Nook" "new Nook" issue? It can be done (*can be does not mean should be*) but it is a coin toss over which to choose at this time? If you got a partial install I thought you could go back and try the other one then it should work? I don't know if it was ever clearly solved in anything I read before but I didn't think it was too hard to correct by picking the option you didn't pick the first time.

No that is a separate issue. It's being debated still, but IMHO, the correct choice of which device to select when flashing recovery depends on what rom you are running. But if you manually install CWR either via ADB or the flashable zip, you don't have to do that step in ROM Manager.

OK so you want me to use this:
Link to flashable CWR v3.0.1.0 zip file (this should be placed whole onto the above bootable SD and installed via CWR)
---cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip - md5: d7a550d683e54732bcb55eff24ada704
Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Correct?
I don't have a 'blank' sdcard at the moment so will either have to backup my existing one and use that to create the bootable sdcard or get a new one. I'll follow the instructions for the bootable sd and place the zip mentioned above onto the root of the card and go from there. Once that process is done, is there anything I need to do other than book into CWR and run a backup (just to ensure I have a new/good backup)? Thanks!
Yes, use that. However, if you do not have a bootable Sd card, or an extra sd card available to make one -- then you should be able to install ROM Manager, Flash Recovery (even though it won't be complete - select 'Nook(OLD)' as your device), Power OFF, Power On, Open ROM Manager and select 'Reboot into Recovery' and then install from zip the flashable CWR v3.0.1.0 -- Believe it or not you can install a newer CWR while running CWR. I have not done this personally but have read where others have been successful.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
However, if you do not have a bootable Sd card, or an extra sd card available to make one -- then you should be able to install ROM Manager, Flash Recovery (even though it won't be complete - select 'Nook(OLD)' as your device), Power OFF, Power On, Open ROM Manager and select 'Reboot into Recovery' and then install from zip the flashable CWR v3.0.1.0 -- Believe it or not you can install a newer CWR while running CWR. I have not done this personally but have read where others have been successful.

This is what I was getting at. Ok, so even with the partial install as long as you can boot into CWR and have the zip on the card you can get CWR installed correctly. That is what I thought. :)

I agree that your first method is cleaner though if you have the ability to setup a boot card.

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
Thanks to you both. I noticed ADB was mentioned. I have ADBWireless installed. Is that another option to get this done? Don't want to have to make another option be made but thought I would ask as maybe it is the 'best' option?? If not and you don't want to even go there, no problem, I have the 2 options above and will figure out which one to go with and report back once I have.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
This is what I was getting at. Ok, so even with the partial install as long as you can boot into CWR and have the zip on the card you can get CWR installed correctly. That is what I thought. :)

I agree that your first method is cleaner though if you have the ability to setup a boot card.

Sorry rico, my noobness coming out... your comment means to follow which option discussed above?

Do what J515OP is saying, just get the flashable zip and install that from whatever version of CWR you currently have to update yourself.

ADB is the manual manual way, not necessary when you can flash it. :)

surfmly29

Mar 16, 2011
OK done. Followed the instructions above doing the flash clockwork recovery from within ROM mgr, rebooted, from ROM mgr rebooted into recovery, installed zip from sd card, selected reboot from CWR menu and am now back in NC as usual. No problems. I do notice that in ROM mgr is still says ClockwordMod is 3.0.0.5 still but recall that is a known issue. Is there anyway to confirm anywhere else? Should I try and reboot into recovery again and not do anything other than reboot back to NC to confirm I am not stuck in any CWR loop and confirm all appears to be well? Guess it wouldn't hurt to try that first.

From here I guess I'll be able pick up in the OP at making a nondroid backup, but if I am missing anything let me know. Again, thanks a lot to all of you, great help, good instructions, and quick feedback, even for us new guys. It is much appreciated.