(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Did you try "Reboot into recovery" From the RomManager settings? Again forgive me I don't know a lot about HC.

It's ok, you're the only help I have right now. If I hit Reboot into Recovery, it asks me if I want to, I hit OK, then it does nothing. I have the Zip file for clockworkmod on there, but flash clockworkmod recovery doesn't work and gives me that permissions error. Ugh.. frustrating. I'm following these instructions by the letter. There's got to be something I missed or am not doing right.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
OK I'm doing a little digging... Hang tight.

edit- Are you running this [ROM] Honeycomb v4 eMMC 2nd ed. - Flashable ZIP {02/21/11} if so I would point you to this -" With dalingrin's OC kernel (1100) instead of stock HC kernel, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451"

And this-"I decided to leave dalingrin's kernel by default, as I found that perfomance was noticeably better. If people wish to have a flashable zip to restore to stock HC, please say so."

From the op here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-v4-emmc-2nd-ed-flashable-zip-02-21-11-a.html

It seems that the oc kernal is incorporated into the ROM(figures). What you need is SetCPU or one of the free OC apps from the market...

Last edited:

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
The only thing I've found is that you can get that message if you've run out of SD card space. However, my card has 7gb out of about 7.2gb free. I'd assume that would be enough. I'm diggin too. Thanks for the help!

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Ok, I got SetCPU and set it to 1.1Ghz. Am I clear if it says it's at 1.1GHz if I set it to performance? (or varied if I set it to conservative?) Thanks again for the help. If this is all I needed to do, I'm going to be happy and ticked at the same time, hahaha.

EDIT: wow, yea that was it. Sweet! It's running faster than ever!

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
If this is all I needed to do, I'm going to be happy and ticked at the same time, hahaha.
Seems to be the case.
:rolleyes:Whew!:rolleyes:

I am reminded of an old song about running in circles "The Faster We Go, The Rounder We Get" I feel like a beach ball.:eek:

Yeah 1100mhz is fine but I would set the governor to "on demand" unless you actually want to watch the battery meter diminish in real time:mad:. In my experience with SetCPU on demand is the best route unless you need the power for multiple tasks. Performance maxes out the cpu so it (figuratively) evaporates your battery. But as with all things Android it is a matter of personal preference.

Trust me when I say I am happy to help and glad to be here, silly as it seems now, to assist you. I do have one bit of advice that was presented to me when I first started kicking around this wonderful forum.....

READ, then read it again, when you are done take twenty minutes walk through the steps see if you've got it, then come back and read it again. Valuable bit of advice. Tough to follow, believe you me, as I am as impulsive as they come.

Enjoy your screaming fast HoneycombNook. I am holding out for a AOSP HC ROM before I flash to internal. I am going to stay with CM7n from here on out. If you need any help please don't hesitate to ask.

road-warrior_uhoh.jpg

Cheers,

Local Stain

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Yea, I feel so stupid because besides my last problem there, everything was because I apparently can't read :p. I was trying to read this at work, and I had it in a small window, so I thought I read everything I needed to, but I got lost apparently and didn't read a large section of the tutorial. So when I came home I thought I knew what to do from my reading at work.

I'll keep your advice in mind for later. I'm so used to knowing what others need to know how to do (at work), it feels odd to be completely lost about something where I have to pray there are people out there like you to guide me through it. Seriously thanks again, and I'll definitely enjoy the NC and try to help others here now on the boards.

Pupalei

Mar 21, 2011
In CWR, clear both cache partition and dalvik cache, then go back to main menu hit reboot system.

Is you autonooter image sd card still installed?

Hey Rico - This answer helped me so much. I have installed CWR about 5 times, two different ways. Every single time, once I booted into recovery I could not get out.

Simple solution I would not have thought to do, so thanks very much!!

nzz

Mar 24, 2011
My Nook has Clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5 installed.

I want to install phiremod-nook-V5.1.zip

I am using a 2GB card and using 2gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.img

I believe I'm doing everything correctly, I format the system/data/cache/dalvik cache, then I install the ROM from the SD card, it installs correctly, but when the Nook reboots I only have the Clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5 screen.

What am I doing wrong? Why don't I see the Phiremod 5.1 ROM???

Please help.
Thank you

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If I understand you correctly you are trying to install Phiremod 5.1 with CWR 3.0.0.5. This will not work since Phiremod 5.1 is CM7 based and is ext4 format while CWR 3.0.0.5 is ext3 based. You need to use CWR 3.0.0.6 at a minimum since it is ext4 format. Better yet update to CWR 3.0.1 which can do both ext3 and ext4.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
If you have no CWR or CWR v3.0.0.5 (or earlier): DO NOT "FLASH CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY" FROM ROM MANAGER - at this time (and version of ROM Manager) it WILL NOT install completely.

The only way to properly install CWR v3.0.1.0 is to do it manually or by using the flashable zip I linked to a few posts back.

To get more technical - there are two main parts to the CWR program, the recovery kernel and the recovery package. ROM Manager does NOT flash the kernel properly, thus ending in a partially installed CWR. So for now, use the flashable zip above.

I do not have CWR at all on my autonootered and overclocked 3.0.0 Nook. I use a bootable CWR SD card. Should I place the CWR 3.0.1.0 zip onto the SD card and then flash the eMMC that way?

If I do that, I shouldn't have to worry about flashing CWR via Rom manager, correct? Therefore, I shouldn't have to worry about the (old) vs regular issue?

thanks.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
My Nook has Clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5 installed.

I want to install phiremod-nook-V5.1.zip

I am using a 2GB card and using 2gb_clockwork-0.1-ext4.img

I believe I'm doing everything correctly, I format the system/data/cache/dalvik cache, then I install the ROM from the SD card, it installs correctly, but when the Nook reboots I only have the Clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5 screen.

What am I doing wrong? Why don't I see the Phiremod 5.1 ROM???

Please help.
Thank you

I THINK you need to do the following.

Grab the cwr 3.0.1.0 ZIP file and put it onto your 2gb SD card
Put the latest phirmod zip file rom on the same 2gb SD card.

Boot into your internal 3.0.0.5 CWR.
FLASH the 3.0.1.0 CWR zip.
unmount card
take out SD card
reboot.

Now you should see the correct version of CWR on your eMMC.

From there Flash the latest phiremod ROM.

I am not sure, but you might also need flash Gapps as well to get the market and such. you'll probably also want to flash the latest OC kernal for phiremod.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
I THINK you need to do the following.

Grab the cwr 3.0.1.0 ZIP file and put it onto your 2gb SD card
Put the latest phirmod zip file rom on the same 2gb SD card.

Boot into your internal 3.0.0.5 CWR.
FLASH the 3.0.1.0 CWR zip.
unmount card
take out SD card
reboot.

Now you should see the correct version of CWR on your eMMC.

From there Flash the latest phiremod ROM.

I am not sure, but you might also need flash Gapps as well to get the market and such. you'll probably also want to flash the latest OC kernal for phiremod.
Everything is correct, but keep in mind that whenever CWR comes from SD, old version will appear.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
you mean it will appear to be an OLD version, but its not....its actually the newer version.

Question. Once I have 3.0.1.0 CWR installed to eMMC, sine it is both ext3 and ext4 compatible, I should have no trouble "restoring" my Nand backup of rooted 2.1 correct?

for instance, lets say I FLASH CM7 onto my eMMC after backuping up my stock rooted 2.1 ROM....In order to go back to my backup 2.1 ROM, i can simply go into rom manager and "restore" the ROM? should I wipe cache/dalvik cache prior to each restore? Should I wipe data/system?

And likewise, say i'm in my 2.1 image and I want to go back to my backed up CM7 ROM...i can just go to rom manager and "restore" my CM7 ROM??

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
you mean it will appear to be an OLD version, but its not....its actually the newer version.

Question. Once I have 3.0.1.0 CWR installed to eMMC, sine it is both ext3 and ext4 compatible, I should have no trouble "restoring" my Nand backup of rooted 2.1 correct?

for instance, lets say I FLASH CM7 onto my eMMC after backuping up my stock rooted 2.1 ROM....In order to go back to my backup 2.1 ROM, i can simply go into rom manager and "restore" the ROM? should I wipe cache/dalvik cache prior to each restore? Should I wipe data/system?

And likewise, say i'm in my 2.1 image and I want to go back to my backed up CM7 ROM...i can just go to rom manager and "restore" my CM7 ROM??

Correct, CWM recovery 3.0.1 is compatible to both ext.3&4 so you should be able to flash back to any rom of your choice. Just replace one sd card for another and boot to CWMR. I usually "wipe data/factory rest" before preforming any restore of a backup.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
bluewhite, yes you can go back and forth but be careful. You should always wipe the cahces when flashing (unless a dev says ok not to for updates) and you should wipe data/system when switching between ext3 and ext4 or any ROMs that do not have the same base.