(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

theksp111

Apr 5, 2011
No, do not use CWM rom manger to update.

Like I said:
manually Installation New ClockworkMod 3.0.1.0 version: http://muffinworld.net/android/nookc...mr_3.0.1.0.zip
-Place zip on root of sd card, install in CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 to update.

In other words, copy the zip file on your sd card (not in any folder - on root of sd) > boot back into CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 > "Install zip from sd" > pick cwmr 3.0.1 zip file > press "yes" > reboot after complete

Thanks for the help. Sorry I'm so new to this. After I downloaded the newest version of CWR onto the nook and copied the zip onto the root of the sd. What do you mean by boot back into CWM recover 3.0.0.5? Can you explain the steps to do that?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the help. Sorry I'm so new to this. After I downloaded the newest version of CWR onto the nook and copied the zip onto the root of the sd. What do you mean by boot back into CWM recover 3.0.0.5? Can you explain the steps to do that?

Go to CWM ROM Manager app on your nook and open it. Then select Reboot Recovery. This will boot you into CWM Recovery (CWR) at which point you can follow the rest of the directions to flash from the 3.0.1 zip file you placed on your sd card and inserted before booting into recovery.

JP

theksp111

Apr 5, 2011
Go to CWM ROM Manager app on your nook and open it. Then select Reboot Recovery. This will boot you into CWM Recovery (CWR) at which point you can follow the rest of the directions to flash from the 3.0.1 zip file you placed on your sd card and inserted before booting into recovery.

JP

I have ROm Manager v3.0.1.7 installed
- Copied zip file onto blank mSD card. Was I supposed to extract the zip onto the card?
- Opened Rom manager,
-Selected Reboot into recovery
-Superuser-> Selected yes.
- Nook rebooted and restarted right back up like regular.

Did I miss something again?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
This stuff is straightforward if the tutorial is read.

Follow the first post of this thread to install CWM rom manger and CMW recovery 3.0.0.5.

.....then manually update to CMW recovery 3.0.1

In other words, copy the zip file on your sd card (not in any folder - on root of sd) > boot back into CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 > "Install zip from sd" > pick cwmr 3.0.1 zip file > press "yes" > reboot after complete

Last edited:

theksp111

Apr 5, 2011
Rico - I appologize in advanced because I'm really not getting this rght. Sorry if I'm pissing you off but your help is greatly appreciated.

1- copied zip file to root directory of sd
2- put sd card in, loaded up rom manager, and selected "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
3- At the point the box that says "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery says current Recovery 3.0.0.5"
4- I then powered down the nook and turned it back on, went into rom manager again and selected "reboot in recovery"
5- In recovery mode now and I select "backup and restore" then select backup and the backup begins
6- Backup finishes with no freezes and no hiccups and I go to Reboot and I end up in the recovery loop again.

PS - When it prompted for old vs new I selected old.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Rico - I appologize in advanced because I'm really not getting this rght. Sorry if I'm pissing you off but your help is greatly appreciated.

1- copied zip file to root directory of sd
2- put sd card in, loaded up rom manager, and selected "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
3- At the point the box that says "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery says current Recovery 3.0.0.5"
4- I then powered down the nook and turned it back on, went into rom manager again and selected "reboot in recovery"
5- In recovery mode now and I select "backup and restore" then select backup and the backup begins
6- Backup finishes with no freezes and no hiccups and I go to Reboot and I end up in the recovery loop again.

PS - When it prompted for old vs new I selected old.

That is all complete correct even step 6 with the boot loop. You have successful flashed to CWM recovery 3.0.0.5.

...now for the 10th time :) manually update to CMW recovery 3.0.1

note: and this is said on almost every other page of this thread, for b&n 1.1 software and use of autonooter 3.0, you need to update to CWM recovery 3.0.1 or you will be stuck in CWM recovery 3.0.0.5

and btw, you are not pissing me off at all, I'm glad to help. If you were, I wouldn't write anything at all. :)

theksp111

Apr 5, 2011
Rico - you're awesome. hope all is well in NC.

two posts above. After step 6, I was actually stuck in the loop of booting cwr, so i had to go back to stock and redo everything. :(

Alright so here we go again for the 11th time, but it looks like I go it working - sort of.

After restoring to stock and re-rooting w/ autonooter again.
1- Downloaded Rom Manager again
2- Put SD w/ zip back in NC. Selected "reboot into recovery" for manual mgmt
3 - selected install zip from sd card
4- choose zip from sd card
5- confirm install

6- reboot system now- after this it actually looped me back into recovery mode AGAIN
7- selected backup and restore
8- backup
9- performed backup
10-reboot system now and it loaded back regular
11- used file manager and checked and it looks like all the files are right.

So it looks like i was getting hung up on "flashing the recovery file". I had to do it manually instead of automatically for it to work. Can you explain to me what "flashing a recovery file" actually means and whats going on when that happens?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update to OP: change to new CWM recovery 3.0.2.8

Installing ROM Manager and ClockworkMod Recovery

-Open Market app, search for "rom manager"
-Install latest version of Clockworkmod rom manager app
-Once installed, go to app draw and open Rom Manger
-When installing ROM manager, the SuperUser app will ask permission to proceed with install.
-Check remember and then hit the allow button

c2d4628c.png

-Once installed, open ROM Manager
-Press "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
bedd3e4d.png

-Rom manager will then flash your NC with the CWR image (newest version 3.0.2.8)
-Once complete you will see the following: "Successfully flashed..."
-Next reboot or power off your Nook Color **Very Important**
aa5ab532.png

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Question??? I have rom manager 4.1.0.0 and I'm running clockworkmod 3.0.1.0 and I hit flash but it won't install 3.0.2.8 I've flashed before and have followed instruction's. Am I doing something wrong?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Question??? I have rom manager 4.1.0.0 and I'm running clockworkmod 3.0.1.0 and I hit flash but it won't install 3.0.2.8 I've flashed before and have followed instruction's. Am I doing something wrong?

You can always put the 3.02.8 zip on a card and then flash it from CWR. That should do it.

Edit: Looks like there may not be a zip for this (well probably somewhere) so that might not work.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

I believe there is a newer rom manger (4.2.0?) you can get.
-try to install the latest rom manger than then reflash
-or remove cwm recovery all together, reboot then reflash from rom manager

You can always put the 3.0.2.8 zip on a card and then flash it from CWR. That should do it.

Edit: Looks like there may not be a zip for this (well probably somewhere) so that might not work.

There is no zip file at this time. (at least not for the NC version)

cocomo59

Mar 17, 2011
Yes there is a 4.2, but here is something weird. Last night when I went to to update the CWR there was an update for Rom manager but is was to 4.1 (some people reported a 4.2). After the rom update it then let me do the CRW update. This morning, there was a rom update to 4.2, wonder where 4.2 was last night?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Some people are reporting both; as rom mangers get updated quite often.

Smaugy

Feb 18, 2011
Just an FYI - I have Rom Manager 4.1 installed on my Nook and CWM 3.1.0 - when I went into Rom Manager - it was telling me the most recent version was 3.0.0.5. I selected Flash ColckworkMod and selected Nook Color.....once I was all done I was at 3.0.2.8.......wierd, but I validated it was that version and also could do a clean nand backup.