(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Ok I tried to upgrade to Rom Manager 4.2 but it wouldn't download must be busy!! But with 4.1 I'm updating cm7 to 7.2 and it ask me if I want to wipe the data & cache do I enable this???

RipplingHurst

Mar 3, 2011
So I just got a NC with 1.2. I have a 16 class 2 card, but it seems that it's useless for modding (most images go up to 8GB). I ordered a 4GB. So after I root 1.2, can I still follow the above?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You should be able to install CWR as soon as you root and can download ROM Manager. There maybe issues with CWR and rooted 1.2 though (for example, autonooter v3 and CWR 3.0.0.5 would lead to a boot loop). I haven't heard anything yet but give it a little time and any issues will be worked out.

JP

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I finally decided to give this a try following the instructions at the beginning of this thread. Now I'm stuck in a reboot loop. Tried WIPE DATA and WIPE DALVIK CACHE. Nook freezes after confirming WIPE DALVIK CACHE. Held power button to shut down. Held power button to turn back on and the loop continues and still freezing after WIPE DALVIK CACHE. Tried this at least 5 times. I'm getting dizzy. Please help me.

PS: Now I'm reading through this 56 page thread again looking for answers. But meanwhile, if someone can reply, that would be AWESOME!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I finally decided to give this a try following the instructions at the beginning of this thread. Now I'm stuck in a reboot loop. Tried WIPE DATA and WIPE DALVIK CACHE. Nook freezes after confirming WIPE DALVIK CACHE. Held power button to shut down. Held power button to turn back on and the loop continues and still freezing after WIPE DALVIK CACHE. Tried this at least 5 times. I'm getting dizzy. Please help me.

PS: Now I'm reading through this 56 page thread again looking for answers. But meanwhile, if someone can reply, that would be AWESOME!

Jonsey, this is a known issue with the dalvik freeze.

Please let us know the following: did you use autonooter v3? Do you have the CWR 3.0.1 zip file on your SD card and are you trying to flash it? Autonooter v3 will get stuck in a boot loop if you are trying to flash CWR 3.0.0.5.

If this is just the dalvik freeze try this: press the n button to wipe davlick but before scorlling down to yes press the power button to take you back one menu. Now perss the n button wo wipe dalvik again and this time go down to yes and press n. Somtimes this breaks the freeze after wiping.

If not you can flash CWR without wiping the dalvik cache.

JP

Last edited:

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Jonsey, this is a known issue with the davlik freeze.

Please let us know the following: did you use autonooter v3? Do you have the CWR 3.0.1 zip file on your SD card and are you trying to flash it? Autonooter v3 will get stuck in a boot loop if you are trying to flash CWR 3.0.0.5.

If this is just the davlik freeze try this: press the n button to wipe davlick but before scorlling down to yes press the power button to take you back one menu. Now perss the n button wo wipe davlik again and this time go down to yes and press n. Somtimes this breaks the freeze after wiping.

If not you can flash CWR without wiping the davlik cache.

JP

Hi J515OP. Yes I used autonooter 3.0. I don't think I have any zip file on SD card. I just followed the OP instructions on page 1 of this thread: Installed ROM manager from market, pressed "Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery", Got the message "sucessfully flashed", POWERED OFF, opened ROM Manager app, hit reboot to recovery, followed the rest of the steps and it took about 20 mins to back up. It read "Backup Complete!" and now I'm supposed to select "reboot system now". When I select that, the loop starts.

So I don't know if I have a "zip file". If the above process creates one, then I guess I do?

I just tried the trick you suggested with davlik and it didn't help. Still freezes.

I don't know what you mean when you say "If not you can flash CWR without wiping the davlik cache." How?

PS: I'm now at work and no access to my personal laptop or wifi. Hope I'm ok without that or else this will have to wait 12 hours :(

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Still reading thru this thread. Now thinking I should either A: uninstall Clockworkmod and forget about it since I'm on 3.0 autonooter or B: uninstall Clockworkmod and leave it at that without a backup? I would like a backup since it would be a pain to re-do all my apps and wigets and screens etc. But I guess I can live without. The main reason I did this was to block OTA updates.

At this point, what's my best option?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Still reading thru this thread. Now thinking I should either A: uninstall Clockworkmod and forget about it since I'm on 3.0 autonooter or B: uninstall Clockworkmod and leave it at that without a backup? I would like a backup since it would be a pain to re-do all my apps and wigets and screens etc. But I guess I can live without. The main reason I did this was to block OTA updates.

At this point, what's my best option?

Ok, just slow down a second. You issue is caused by a conflict between autonooter v3 and CWR 3.0.0.5. If you have ROM Manager 4.1 or 4.2 from the Market (if not get it since this is the newest) go into ROM Manager and Flash ColockworkMod Recovery. Then choose Nook Color. Hold the power button and REBOOT. This will flash CWR 3.0.2.8 which should clear the boot loop issue with autonooter v3.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
just realized that isn't going to work because you are stuck in the boot loop and can't get to ROM Manager. What you need to do download the CWR 3.0.1 zip file and put it on your SD card. Then when you boot into CWR do the following:

-install zip from sdcard
-choose zip from sdcard
select the CWR 3.0.1 zip file you saved to SD card and yes.

When done select reboot and you should boot into Nook as usual.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Ok. I have the newest ROM Manager, because I just downloaded it today. I will try what you said, but how do I get past the ugly recovery screen I'm stuck on to do so? Its powered off now. When I turn it back on, I need it to be back to normal so I can access my app drawer.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
So this will have to wait until I get back home. Will it be ok to let it sit, powered off for 12 hours? I mean, will it cause major damage if I don't do this fix immediately?

Guess i'll be stuck at work with no entertainment from my nook tonight. Once I do this fix, will it be back to the way it was? Autonootered with all my apps and such? Hope so!

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, everyting will be back the way it was and it won't do any damage to leave it powered off. Just make sure you charge it when you get home to besure you have power for fixing it. Sorry you lost it for one night I know how that can be ;)

JP

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
just realized that isn't going to work because you are stuck in the boot loop and can't get to ROM Manager. What you need to do download the CWR 3.0.1 zip file and put it on your SD card. Then when you boot into CWR do the following:

-install zip from sdcard
-choose zip from sdcard
select the CWR 3.0.1 zip file you saved to SD card and yes.

When done select reboot and you should boot into Nook as usual.

Are these the correct instructions for what you want me to do?

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/8526-how-restore-stock-recovery-cwr.html

And thank you for your help so far.

EDIT: Or is this what I need: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...install-cwr-save-root-revert-stock-image.html

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can do either of those but they are probably overkill. Keep it simple and find the CWR 3.0.1 zip file and put it on an SD. Insert the sd then boot into recovery (power and n for 5-8 seconds) then follow the steps I posted above.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Now I'm home and trying to fix this. @J515OP, I have no idea where to "Keep it simple and find the CWR 3.0.1 zip file". I googled it, hoping for a link to a direct download- no luck. So now I thought I decided to use the second option I posted above, following @darmeen instructions. Well that post doesn't say 3.0.1, it's 3.0.0.5. So I guess I'll just use that one?

This has not been fun. All I did was follow the steps at the beginning of this thread. It's a shame that the key pieces of information that would have saved me this trouble are hidden somewhere within the 50 some pages that follow. (Key info being, DON'T do this if you have used auto nooter 3.0).

Anyone else awake this morning to offer me some help?

EDIT: Found this: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

I have no idea what a .rar file is, but maybe that's what I need....

Last edited: