(HOW TO) Uninstall Clockwork Recovery and revert to a stock image

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
the only cwr version ive used that actually said succesful on formatting system or data was 3.0.0.6 i think.. and even though it said succesful, nothing was actually erased or formatted.. i contacted the previous owner and i havent gotten a reply. :( i wish there was a way to figure that out just by going through the system menu or something, but then again i havent been able to boot into that for a while, which may or may not be a good sign.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
the only cwr version ive used that actually said succesful on formatting system or data was 3.0.0.6 i think.. and even though it said succesful, nothing was actually erased or formatted.. i contacted the&nbsp; previous owner and i havent gotten a reply. :( i wish there was a way to figure that out just by going through the system menu or something, but then again i havent been able to boot into that for a while, which may or may not be a good sign.<br><br>

Droider

Jun 12, 2011
I got it to work using that 8-boot method. Now the only thing I have to figure out is why my Nook isn't recognized under XP and 7 so I can sideload the 1.2 update.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Now the only thing I have to figure out is why my Nook isn't recognized under XP and 7 so I can sideload the 1.2 update.

Sounds goofy, but try a different USB port. or use SAMBA to move files wirelessly onto your SD card.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
If you mean the stock update, I think if you de-register and re-register it will download and install automatically.

Droider

Jun 12, 2011
I tried a different USB port, darmeen and no luck. Can I just tranfer the 1.2 update file to the SD card and then insert into the Nook? Also, how does one update the Nook once the SD card is in?

Droider

Jun 12, 2011
If you mean the stock update, I think if you de-register and re-register it will download and install automatically.

Yes, I mean the stock update 1.2 Let me check it out. I hope it'll be that easy. Thanks again, patruns.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
so the original owner has just let me know he used autonooter to root the nook and never did any updating as far as stock updates. he said he followed a xda.com autonooting forum.. so im looking into that, and i am awaiting a reply from him as to the last change he made before it stopped working. because the way he sold it to me was nookiecomb running from sdcard. is it possible that people have been having issues with the sdcard honeycomb setting base in the internal memory for apps or stuff like that? and it possibly ruined something internal? because thats the only thing i can think of after talking to him. he said he ran hc on sd for over a month, then pulled the sd and tried to boot back to rooted stock, and it wouldnt boot anymore :/

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i mean what could one possibly do to ruin the internals by running hc on the sd card? im still searching on google but nothing has turned up yet. im all excited i hope this new info might help.. but realistically.. it wont lol

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
ah! more info, and this probably is the ringer, he said that other than autonooter and hc he didnt do anything else, however when he was running hc on sdcard, he installed rommanger and then tried to install clockwork, but it failed... so maybe that failed attempt screwed up the nook?

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
k, so i ran (from sd) cwr 3.0.2.8 and i had the cwr-removal zip on there, the repartition boot with stock, and complete 1.0.1 restore. i followed previous wipe methods, then ran the cwr-removal, the repartition boot, then the stock image, it booted up! but... its the old owners stuff, so what im going to do, which is sketch since i dont know this guy, but im going to ask for his password to the nook, and log into the market or something whatever, and then try the erase and deregister, because im getting a new error when i try to do that, it says: deregister device failed with error: cloud service not available (-301) reset device was not attempted.

any ideas now that i have all this new info?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
k, so i ran (from sd) cwr 3.0.2.8 and i had the cwr-removal zip on there, the repartition boot with stock, and complete 1.0.1 restore. i followed previous wipe methods, then ran the cwr-removal, the repartition boot, then the stock image, it booted up! but... its the old owners stuff, so what im going to do, which is sketch since i dont know this guy, but im going to ask for his password to the nook, and log into the market or something whatever, and then try the erase and deregister, because im getting a new error when i try to do that, it says: deregister device failed with error: cloud service not available (-301) reset device was not attempted.

any ideas now that i have all this new info?

What do you mean when you say it is the old owners stuff? Is it booting stock or rooted? What is on it? Market should not be there if it is stock. Can you go to Settings>Device Info and let us know what it says? If erase and deregister doens't work from in the system you really need to et the 8 boot method to work. You are very close. you shouldn't need any of the old owners info. If it says can't reach the could you may want to connect to your wifi and then try erase and deregister. You are getting close jake but we are going to need some better info now that you are booting to get this finished off.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
patruns, I de-registered and re-registered but no update followed.

The Over the air update is not reliable. Erase and deregister doesn't mean you will get an over the air update it is rather random. Just to be clear you are running a stock nook not rooted at this point correct? In that case you can side load the B&N 1.2 update directly to the nook. Go to B&N follow their instructions and download the zip file. Leave it zipped, remove any SD card in your nook to be sure you are only looking at nook internal memory.

Plug in your usb into your pc with your nook turned on but with the screen locked plug the usb into the nook. Now unlock the nook and hopefully your PC will detect it. Move the 1.2 zip file to the root of the internal memory (not in any folder). Eject the nook from the pc so that it says safe to remove. Unplug the usb tap the power button to put the nook to sleep and wait 5 minutes. The update should start.

JP

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
okay, whenever it boots up, it still has the stock look, but there is a market installed, and other apps that the original owner had installed, dolphin browser, real estate apps, email apps, etc etc. the about this nook section has owner name, account, software version (101) model number serial number wifi mac address. im assuming its still rooted because of the apps being there, in the device info secion it has battery life, available storage (almost all of 5GB available) sd card (but i dont have one in currently) then has an option for about nook color, erase and deregister, and legal.

and im not positive that i can keep booting now, its just that sometimes when i wipe dalvik, cache partition, and erase data/recovery from cwr on the sdcard and then install certain zips, this time it was remove cwr from internal, and repartion boot with stock, and complete restore 1.0.1 it let me boot up but with no changes to the system... whenever i get this far, if i reboot now, it will go back to being stuck at the n screen unless i repeat the above process..

im following some more detailed adb instructions than i did before, so maybe now that im booted up in the nook, ill get adb working to recognize the nook, and wipe it this way... wish me luck!