How to watch movies on the Huawei Tablet.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
I have tried most of these and I would have to say rockplayer is the best one that I have used. The biggest downside I had was that rockplayer was the largest app (taking up space that I wanted for other apps). However I am back to rockplayer and it is working great.

I have ripped so many of my DVD's as MPEG4 on to my computer and then converted them with Real Player in to a WMV file that is on average 400MB for a movie. These movies play great on the S7 and it is handy to have with me whenever I want to start up a movie. I also have Dora episodes on it for my daughter when we go out to eat. Eating out has never been so peaceful!

Could you please share the step-by-step process you are following?

- Software being use
- Settings

Thanks a lot...

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Sure, I am using ImTOO DVD Ripper Standard 6 to rip the DVD's, there is a free trial, but this was the first one I could get to work real well and I am able to convert about 75% to 85% of all the DVD's I have I went ahead and spent the $40 to buy it. It has many settings for which file format to save it as, I have been saving it as a MPG4 @ 680x480, which is one of the best qualities that you can get, so if I need to replace the DVD I can. It takes about 45 mins to get on to the computer.

Then I just play the file in Real Player on my computer and then click on the convert button in Real Player, again they have many present setting to convert the file to and I have been using the preset that is built for Archos 604 WiFi that is built in.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Sure, I am using ImTOO DVD Ripper Standard 6 to rip the DVD's, there is a free trial, but this was the first one I could get to work real well and I am able to convert about 75% to 85% of all the DVD's I have I went ahead and spent the $40 to buy it. It has many settings for which file format to save it as, I have been saving it as a MPG4 @ 680x480, which is one of the best qualities that you can get, so if I need to replace the DVD I can. It takes about 45 mins to get on to the computer.

Then I just play the file in Real Player on my computer and then click on the convert button in Real Player, again they have many present setting to convert the file to and I have been using the preset that is built for Archos 604 WiFi that is built in.

Thanks a lot kevmueller...will give it a try...

gurduiala

Jan 7, 2011
I have imTOO for both MAC and PC,

One disadvantage i find, that if you download a movie and it has multiple audio channels, you can not select which one you want,

I also use HandBreak, i like it, very nice quality, but takes TOO long,

My best solution i found is DVDfab, use it a lot, its quick, decent quality, select the Audio channel you want,

I recommend!

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010

Kev,

Interested in why you encode the video twice once to get it to a 680x480 mp4 and then take that file and encode to Archos profile. Why don't you just encode an archival profile/preset (e.g., 720x480 or 680x480 (btw that is an odd aspect ratio for a movie which is more typically 640x480 if not 720x480) mp4) and a mobile profile/preset (e.g. 480x320 mp4) from the same source DVD. That way you are not re-encoding from an encoded mp4 file which can potentially degrade video quality. Instead with the alternate method you would be making your mobile file from the source DVD (might provide better quality than re-encoding from the compressed mp4 file). It doesn't sound like you are saving encoding time (a viable tradeoff for video quality) since your description implies that to make the mobile profile copy using Real Media that is being encoded in real time while you play back the file. Not saying my approach is better and not trying to critique your method, just trying to learn all the pros and cons of different encoding approaches and sequences to make sure I'm not overlooking something or missing a key piece of info that can enhance the quality of videos on the S7 while minimizing the time it takes to do the downconversions. I'm still in the experimental phase testing different approaches to see what works out best overall. BTW I use a program called Movavi that allows me to select two profiles/presets (archival (720x480) 2000kb/sec mp4 and mobile Andorid (480x320) 800kb/sec mp4) and it encodes them simultaneously (using a Core i7 multi-core processor and CUDA GPU acceleration) so the total encode time for BOTH is much less than real time encoding of the file (that's mainly an advantageous byproduct of the hardware acceleration versus the sequencing of my process). Thanks in advance for any additional info.

Last edited:

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Your way will work as well. As for losing quality, there is not a quality issue when watching these on the S7. The main reason for doing it this way is that I can sit here and encode 5 movies in an evening from the DVD into the MP4 file. Then when I am sleeping I am having real player convert the 5 files to a smaller file for the S7. I have loaded the MP4 (1.5GB) and the WMA (423MB) of the same movie on my tablet and can not see or hear a difference playing the movies with RockPlayer. So I guess the reason I do it this way is because I can encode more movies while I am awake in to a MP4 and then have the WMA files created while I sleep.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Kev,

Got it thanks. Agree that quality isn't really an issue when you are making a "mobile" copy for the S7 - probably just a vestige of my DVD recording days when I did a lot of tweaking and trading off of quality vs. file size to maximize usage of the recordable disc. The key is coming up with a process that minimizes time spent in front of a computer doing the conversions and your method accomplishes that. Mine works similarly since I can encode both the "archival" and "mobile" versions of the program simultaneously based on the combination of software and hardware that I use. Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
I have currently about 9 episodes of Futurama and 4 movies.....just almost 5gigs on my sdcard2 heheh great while im at work. Switch out stuff i watched with other stuff i get as needed.

One thing i noticed with rockplayer...if your watching something and exit, when you open rockplayer again it will show that file with the timestamp of when you exited eg : 21:00/1:23:00 or whatever. Now when you try to play that file from where you left off, it says "can't be played from system player" What you have to do is hit menu, settings, scroll down and clear the cache, then it will play fine.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this with rockplayer or another video player, but heads up if you get that error, just clear cache.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Has anyone been able to get VLC Movie streaming to work from Windows 7 to their S7? I tried to do this and the Windows machine says that it works, but the S7 does not get the movie. This program allows to you stream from a Windows machine on your network to the S7, which would be a cool way of watching a movie sometimes.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
It needs to make a connection first. I will try a few different formats.

Sent from my Ideos S7

mrook15

Dec 26, 2010
Does anyone know why this happens? I copied 2 movies to sd card after converting to mp4 and one of them plays on Vital player and one doesn't. It shows that it is an invalid file, but it will play on the player that came with the S7. Also sometimes neither movie will play at all at times without shutting the S7 down and restarting.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Does anyone know why this happens? I copied 2 movies to sd card after converting to mp4 and one of them plays on Vital player and one doesn't. It shows that it is an invalid file, but it will play on the player that came with the S7. Also sometimes neither movie will play at all at times without shutting the S7 down and restarting.

What application are you using to make the mp4 conversions (and what are the settings: profile, bitrate, resolution) and what is the source file type (e.g., dvd, tivo recording, windows media center recording, divx file)?

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
mrook15 , i noticed with rockplayer it will do that. Try clearing cache in settings then click the file see if it opens. Works with the rockplayer. I switched from vitalplayer to rockplayer.

have about 6gig's of episodes and movies on my sdcard2 atm.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
mrook15 , i noticed with rockplayer it will do that. Try clearing cache in settings then click the file see if it opens. Works with the rockplayer. I switched from vitalplayer to rockplayer.

have about 6gig's of episodes and movies on my sdcard2 atm.

50cals - I know you are not going back to vitalplayer from rockplayer but the latest update seems to have fixed the issue you were seeing with the last update (at least for me). FWIW.