Huawei Ideos S7 Does Not Turn On

lite751

May 22, 2011
Hi, I need your expert opinions regarding my S7. It refuses to turn on or power up either with the battery or the charger plugged after an "unsuccessful" firmware upgrade. Did I brick my tablet?

I have already successfully upgraded from the stock 2.1 to 2.2.2 (Indo ROM) previously. Then recently, my S7 hung on the "IDEOS" logo after powering-up. Tried hard reset, recovery and fast-boot to no avail. So I eventually decided to re-flash via SD using 2.2.2 Indo ROM again. During the upgrade process, the progress bar stopped midway and my S7 reset. Tried to repeat the process with similar results, simply the upgrade failed. After that, my S7 does not turn on anymore. I tried removing the battery and plugged the AC charger but still it won't power up. I don't think this is a hardware issue and I suspect it has something to do with the failed upgrade.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance!

kalphonse

Sep 24, 2011
Can Adb detect your device?Does the screen or the capacitative buttons light up when you try switching on?

lite751

May 22, 2011
Can Adb detect your device?Does the screen or the capacitative buttons light up when you try switching on?

I cannot do anything with the device. No lights, no response, no display when I turn the power button on. Same behavior even with the AC charger plugged. The battery doesn't even get warm to indicate that it's charging. :(

rufinote

Jan 4, 2012
i have the same problem.... i can't do anything with it....
i don't know what can i do.............and i don't know where is the SAT....

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Have you tried flashing back to original 2.1 and reflashing original firmware yet.

Sent from my IDEOS S7 Slim using Android Tablet Forum

lite751

May 22, 2011
Have you tried flashing back to original 2.1 and reflashing original firmware yet.

Sent from my IDEOS S7 Slim using Android Tablet Forum

This is what I intend to do, reflash with another FW version (2.1 or other 2.2); unfortunately the device refuses to power up preventing me from doing a reflash.

I plugged the AC charger the whole day yesterday and still nothing happened. Are there any other key/button press combinations to at least bring the S7 to bootloader mode?

rufinote

Jan 4, 2012
i have the same problem. I'm trying to do a lot of things but it is impossible. My ideos S7 is dead. I don't know what i can do. Probably, i unmount the tablet....but it is difficult....I saw in youtube a video that it appear one way to recover the flash....but i don't find the video......

If someone knows how can i recover my tablet i will be very happy.....

regards.

patrikk07

Mar 24, 2011
i have a similar isue to the OP, my s7 however does turn on and just stayes at the ideos screen, i had flashed a few different roms to it with success, then when upgrading to another it reset and just stayes to the boot screen, HELP

kaysun

Feb 28, 2012
1. Without battery connect charger and then power on charger. Let know if IDEOS is displayed on screen. Assuming ROM is corrupt.
2. With or without battery but with charger connected and powered on press and hold Back and Send buttons then power up. Does the unit display a white bar in the middle?

If any of the above symptoms is present, the unit can be rebooted in recovery via ADB and a stock firmware can be flashed. I killed my tab so many times like an over zealous modder and could recover back all the time. it did happen to me that the flashing stopped after about 5 bars and then on some other occasion at bar 12 or 13. On two occasions the lights will suddenly start blinking fast and flashing will not continue. Please let know.

Last edited:

kewan272

Mar 22, 2012
1. Without battery connect charger and then power on charger. Let know if IDEOS is displayed on screen. Assuming ROM is corrupt.
2. With or without battery but with charger connected and powered on press and hold Back and Send buttons then power up. Does the unit display a white bar in the middle?

If any of the above symptoms is present, the unit can be rebooted in recovery via ADB and a stock firmware can be flashed. I killed my tab so many times like an over zealous modder and could recover back all the time. it did happen to me that the flashing stopped after about 5 bars and then on some other occasion at bar 12 or 13. On two occasions the lights will suddenly start blinking fast and flashing will not continue. Please let know.

I have the Same problem can you tell me Please how can i flash my device..

kaysun

Feb 28, 2012
Download a stock firmware(known devil) first, if you do not already have, available via this forum at different links. Format an external sdcard using Windows in FAT32. Unzip the downloaded stock firmware to your sdcard. It should have only one directory named "dload". Under dload three files named unlmt.cfg, UPDATA.APP and upg can be found. While upg is a log file and may not be necessary its presence does not harm but the cfg file should be "unlmt.cfg". Remove sdcard safely and insert it in S7. You do not need your battery to flash. Connect your charger and power on the charger. Wait for IDEOS on screen and then power on your device. The flashing should start. Watch out for fast flashing or stalling. If it does, disconnect your charger - as it will not proceed any further - and retry. If it still does not complete flashing the device apparently has not entered recovery mode and you will need adb on your PC to verify that.

If you do have adb, connect your device to the PC and wait for few minutes before invoking adb. Assuming you have Windows, you can check if the device is recognized under Device Manager. It will be listed as an Android device. Open a command window and cd to the directory where adb is installed. Issue a command "adb devices" to check if your device is seen by adb. If it does it will list your device probably as "1234567890ABCDEF". I do not remember the position of "0". If it does not list anything then you are in trouble. :-(. You need an expert assistance then.

After the device is listed issue a command "adb reboot recovery" with sdcard with firmware still inserted. It will flash your device. Good Luck.

lite751

May 22, 2011

Suspecting a faulty charger, I checked the charger using a DMM, it still kicks out 5V and 2A. Assuming nothing is wrong with my S7 and charger, it should be able to power on even without the battery, right? Tried #1 and #2, unfortunately my S7 still does not power up at all. So there must be really something wrong with my S7.:confused:

Since I had a failed reflash, my S7 now has no firmware and since I cannot power it on, I am not able to do a reflash via the SD card method. I cannot even get to bootloader mode.

Does anyone have a schematic diagram of the S7? I am thinking if this can be reflashed via JTAG?

lite751

May 22, 2011
Ok, so I had my S7 plugged into the AC charger for 2 days and still does not power up. I measured the voltages to check as well if this is a hardware issue. Here are my readings:

1. AC charger output = 5.223V, 2A
2. Battery voltage (- to + terminals) = 2.34V
3. Battery voltage (- to middle terminal) = 0V
4. Battery voltage (middle terminal to +) = 2.34V
5. S7 w/out battery but AC charger connected (- to +) = 0V
6. S7 w/out battery but AC charger connected (- to middle terminal) = 2.85V
7. S7 w/out battery but AC charger connected (middle terminal to +) = 2.85V

Could anyone confirm if you get the same measurements? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, here are some questions I would like to ask:
1. Is it possible to wipe-out the bootloader during an unsuccessful reflash? No bootloader, can't reflash.
2. If there is no firmware, will the S7 still power on and charge? Isn't the power management controlled by the FW?

I am looking at JTAG as a last resort although I'm not sure if anyone has done this before.

Last edited:

kiwi_dave

Jan 13, 2013
Download a stock firmware(known devil) first, if you do not already have, available via this forum at different links. Format an external sdcard using Windows in FAT32. Unzip the downloaded stock firmware to your sdcard. It should have only one directory named "dload". Under dload three files named unlmt.cfg, UPDATA.APP and upg can be found. While upg is a log file and may not be necessary its presence does not harm but the cfg file should be "unlmt.cfg". Remove sdcard safely and insert it in S7. You do not need your battery to flash. Connect your charger and power on the charger. Wait for IDEOS on screen and then power on your device. The flashing should start. Watch out for fast flashing or stalling. If it does, disconnect your charger - as it will not proceed any further - and retry. If it still does not complete flashing the device apparently has not entered recovery mode and you will need adb on your PC to verify that.

If you do have adb, connect your device to the PC and wait for few minutes before invoking adb. Assuming you have Windows, you can check if the device is recognized under Device Manager. It will be listed as an Android device. Open a command window and cd to the directory where adb is installed. Issue a command "adb devices" to check if your device is seen by adb. If it does it will list your device probably as "1234567890ABCDEF". I do not remember the position of "0". If it does not list anything then you are in trouble. :-(. You need an expert assistance then.

After the device is listed issue a command "adb reboot recovery" with sdcard with firmware still inserted. It will flash your device. Good Luck.

I was attempting to do just this, and it got about 1/4 the way through and then said "Update Failed, Please Try Again" I put it away until I got home again and then tried turning it on again to discover it wouldn't power up (either on mains or battery) and when put on charge it wouldn't even display the charging animation... PLEASE HELP !!!!! :S

egone01

Apr 8, 2013
hi, have you solved your problem? i have a S7-105. it doesn't turn on with or without power supply. no lights. please help me if you can.
regards.