Huawei Users Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
The Motorola is a low current output charger and as I have experienced this means less than satisfactory performance to power the S7.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
[...]but the responsiveness of the screen was so terrible now i know why the person returned it. so i didn't get. i had to press down on the screen like if i was pushing a thumb tack or something. [...] It probably had to do with the calibration [...]
God all i wanted was a tablet so i can go to sleep and wake up in the morning feeling like a new man :p [...]

Yes, it sounds like the screen just needed a simple calibration. If that didn't work then it's definitely a bum unit because I've played with the S7 in BB for some time. The screen was incredibly responsive and quick to register my taps/swipes/presses. I never had to resort to using my fingernail or the stylus. It's the most responsive Resistive touch screen I've ever used/seen and I've been using touchscreens on mobile devices for going on 15 years now so that's saying something!

My concerns:

I'm still conflicted though when it comes to getting this device (for Xmas) solely due to the reports of very poor battery life, no accessories like extra battery, case, etc and seeming lack of support from Huawei/3rd parties... I don't want to get stuck with an unsupported brick with no ROM upgrades (Froyo 2.2 is a MUST),no community support aka XDA-DEVS (and the like) and no extra battery to offset the crappy battery life.

What do you guys think?

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
Dont know where youre info comes from but you're wrong since i own it and use it and use it. Puts out enough juice.Tostream slacker over 3g while still actuallly increasing the charge level. Its one tbing to have an opinion, yet another to give false information.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Vicster,

I'm with ya. Picked up the Duracell 3-in-1 today based on your recommendation in another thread and am successfully using it to charge the S7 everywhere (versatile AC/Cig Lighter adaptor/USB configuration without having to cannibalize cables etc). Thanks for the tip and also didn't appreciate the brush off response your post got. Next up trying to use the usb cable/tip combo with my solar powered energizer XPAL. Thanks again.

Vic

darksoul

Dec 3, 2010
KitN
Wow i didn't even think about that. i just checked ebay cause i always buy spare batteries there for cellphones and there is absolutetly nothing for the Huawei S7. i even checked their website and nothing there either. This is getting scary . cause i also wanted the docking station for it. i'm gonna call BB and cancel one of the tablets i had on order.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I'm still not convinced that a mobile phone charger which on average will put out no more than 800mAh will power and charge the S7 with BT, WiFi, GPS and phone all turned on and that is why the original is rated at 2Ah. The response was not a brush off, simply physics!
If I'm wrong then I will happily accept it with good grace, however I have been involved in small device power management for many years and the one thing I know, without getting too technical, is that you need as much as you can reasonably get to allow for power surge and overhead requirements.
One of the most critical situations when using a Lithium Ion battery is at low battery when a charge is required and powering the device is needed at the same time. That is when the correct amount of charge is essential otherwise (believe it or not!) your charger can actually suck the power out of your battery which can have damaging effects on the cells.
All I can tell you is that I have tested another make of Motorola charger under stress and it failed.
But if it works then use it.

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
Hi darksoul,

Yep, I did the same thing last week and scoured the internet looking for any accessories for the Huawei S7... Not a single one -- outside of the InvisibleShield sold at BB. No case. No extra batteries. No chargers. No nothing! Zip! And yes, it's scary...

I'd really like the Huawei S7 to be my next device but without accessories, support and confirmed 2.2 update I'm looking into other choices:

1. Archos 70: No GPS, no phone/3G but it has full manufacturer support including the recent update to Froyo 2.2. It also has a Capacitive screen, bunch of accessories and solid community support. Also $25-50 cheaper than S7.

2. Archos 101: (*same as above w/ bigger screen) Same price as the Huawei S7 but larger 10.1" screen.

3. Barnes & Noble Nook Color: Don't laugh. There's a serious tablet running under there. And now that it's been routed the sky is the limit. Tons of community support, B&N full support, amazing Capacitive Screen and tons of accessories. No phone/3G. No camera. $50 less than Huawei S7.

I'm going to weigh all my options before I decide but the Huawei S7 is still my first choice. <3

Last edited:

tfcocs

Dec 2, 2010
I just bought it today, and can vouch for the fact that it works with the S7. Thanks for sharing this!

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
Been lurking here a few days and I took the plunge - Just got my Huawei S7 - nice piece of equipment and the screen is far better than my old Archos A5IT. I did notice that the Archos charger that is used for the Archos 5 battery dock works for the S7 (same plug size) and they are available on the Archos web site

docfreed

Last edited:

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
This is a great forum - so many useful tips/tweaks. I have a few quick questions

1. I'm able to root with z4root - should I go Permanent or Temp because this can make a difference when setting Autokiller to "Optimum on Boot"?

2. Can built in apps be deleted (I use Root Explorer on my other rooted Android tablets/phones? I was thinking of eliminating some of the less useful apps to free up memory space.

3. Any volume hacks - even at the lowest setting the media volume is loud. Has anyone noticed that the volume increments are fairly coarse - not smooth?

Thanks in advance to more experienced S7 users.

docfreed

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
The newest z4root might work if not there are reports of universlandroot rooting the s7 and i recommend permanent root theres really no reason to not be rooted and especially when its as simple as loading an app and running it. I use titanium backup to remove unwanted preloaded apps. I dont think there is a volume hack out yet but some audio manager apps might give you enough tweaking to make it work the way you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.