Ice cream sandwich comes out tonight!

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
OK devs..... who is ready? Who will be the first to get ICS for the Kyros lineup? I cannot wait to see it.

Sent from my rooted, baked, Gingerbread rocking Kyros MID1024

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I am not very confindent... Even if we can build the kernel and system files, we will need drivers for touchscreen, etc... And we don't have the source code for them, only the manufacturer does AFAIK.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Not very confident either.

Maybe if we used the kernel and some binary files from the Gingerbread firmware we could get something that kind of works, IDK.

Hopefully we'll get lucky again and a tablet with the same hardware gets ICS :)

Last edited:

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
I hear ya. Will leave it up to u smart guys for that. I just push buttons.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
LF, if you make it, ill test it. SURELY 512MB is good for HC.

also from what I read, isnt ICS supposed to be just adding support to HC for the phone side? sort of a hybrid OS? so maybe if the Kernels/libs will work for HC, they will also function in ICS? fwiw, i did see several tablets out there with HC and 512mb ram.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Official tablets with HC have 1GB of RAM AFAIK... ICS is suppose to bring HC features to all kind of devices, it's "scalable", so you can run it on small and underpowered devices or latest and greatest hardware. Or so Google says, we will see...

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
Cool. The main problem with HC is memory, I think. Probably 512MB isn't enough for all features. But it would be interesting to try it anyway. ;)
I've being saying this for a long time about buying any tablet with 256 or 512MB, although i don't own a coby i do recommend them over any of those chinese brand a certain member on this board is pushing, in time i know my dev thor will have acer 500 with ics....

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Cool. The main problem with HC is memory, I think. Probably 512MB isn't enough for all features. But it would be interesting to try it anyway. ;)

Check this out....
$ICS-4.0-minimum-requirements1.jpg

Head Moderator of CyanogenMod forum also said that there’s two basic requirements to run Ice Cream Sandwich update smoothly, all android devices must have 256 MB RAM or more and also decent GPU since Hardware-accelerated 2D drawing might be needed, 2D acceleration depends on your phone GPU not the CPU so, there’s no problem if your smartphone still powered with ARMv6. I think only middle and high-end phone meet that criteria. But if your phone doesn’t meet those, it doesn’t mean you will never has chance to install it, CyanogenMod Team with CM9 and another developers will work hard to make it work on all android phone.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
He's talking about ICS, I was about HC. I don't think we will see drivers for our devices to run on ICS. If we do, it will be great, of course! But steev said that HC may run with Gingerbread drivers, which we already have. So I was talking about running HC (full port) on 1024, for instance.

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
OK. but (and forgive my meager knowledge) but isnt ICS supposed to be based off HC but adding support for NON tablet devices? This leads me to believe that HC may have the same hardware req's as ICS. and ICS may have the same driver compatibility as HC. Im just speculating from various threads and such that I have read here and there.

http://techd.in/industry-news/android-3-0-honeycomb-no-minimum-processor-requirement/

w
hile this may only specify Processor req's none mention any RAM requirements and I only found that ICS was a min of 256mb RAM.

also from http://www.phonearena.com/news/Honeycomb-and-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-source-code-released-early_id23768

Google has also technically released the Honeycomb source code since ICS was built on Honeycomb, not Gingerbread, but wants to focus on ICS. So, according to JBQ, Google hasn't "created any tags that correspond to the Honeycomb releases (even though the changes are present in the history.)” If you really want, the Honeycomb source is out there, but it seems a bit unnecessary with ICS being out as well.

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Nope, ICS is supposed to be usable in any kind of devices, offering similar features as HC. It's not a HC port or version, but a new OS.

Pickupman66

Oct 2, 2011
Yup. Know its not a port but all I have read leads me to believe ics and Hc are very similar.....