Is it possible to root the a500 after the 3.2 upgrade and is worth doing so?

ClayB

Aug 20, 2011
I have just been through this. I could find no simple gingerbreak or iconiaroot utility that would do this. So, I followed steps to revert back to a rootable version, and then installed clockworkmod on my A500 using Acer Recovery Installer. Once that was done, you can download a rooted 3.2 image and use clockworkmod to put such an image on your tablet. There were hiccups that had to be worked through, so the process is not for the faint of heart.

Google 'iconia root 3.2' to find the threads discussing this process.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

ellandry

Sep 26, 2011
What makes the rooting worth it? Is the a500 more fictional?

ClayB

Aug 20, 2011
The reason I wanted my tablet rooted was so it could be made to recognize adhoc wifi hotspots. There is no reason to root unless you have a specific reason to do so.

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
There's no way you can root the OTA update to 3.2.

I lost my root privilege after updating from 3.1 so I have to revert it and re-install my chosen ROM so I can root my A500 Tablet. Now, already tried 2 ROM and installed anoter one until I get the right ROM for my device.

2mysubb.gif

My A500 Rocks!
Ex-Taboonay v2.0 user
Ex-Thor Transformer Revolver 3.5 Port v4.1 user
Currently using Taboonay 2.1 ROM

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Correction:

There is no way to root 3.2 YET.....

If you like future headaches and assorted random problems for very little real gain, then rooting may be worth it to you.
Its not worth it for me.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Nor me! I need a tab that is stable and works. As for HOTSPOTS, a friend of mine turned his Android phone into a hot spot and in less than 2 seconds I had access with the A500. Proves that there is no need to root your tab for that.

ellandry

Sep 26, 2011
Well no wifi hotspot option for me since my blackberry torch doesn't support the option. I could do it via Bluetooth however I would need to root I believe.

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
I was rooted before going to 3.2 and had no problems with anything. I wish 3.2 could be rooted and am seriously looking at stepping back.

AndyMt

Jul 8, 2011
Well - I rooted mine to be able to install AdBlockers like AdFree oder AdAway which both are based on hosts-file redirection. Other than that I personally have no use for root.

I achieved it for 3.2 by installing a pre-rooted GEN1 image. Luckily it worked as an update so I didn't have to wipe the tablet. The whole process worked trouble-free in the end, but looked a bit scary in the beginning.

ellandry

Sep 26, 2011
Well does rooting allow the tablet more functionality it compatibility with hardware and accessories?

AndyMt

Jul 8, 2011
Well does rooting allow the tablet more functionality it compatibility with hardware and accessories?

That depends what you do after rooting. With a rooted HC 3.1 I didn't get additional compatibility in regards to USB etc. although if you know what to do you could add additional drivers to do things like this. But I personally won't.

ClayB

Aug 20, 2011
Rooting allows you to remove/add/edit files in the system folders. For example, to get the tablet to recognize adhoc hotspots, you need to swap out the wpa_supplicant file in \system\bin folder with a version of this file that has been modified to recognize such hotspots. These kinds of actions cannot be done on a unrooted tablet. Of course, being able to do these actions is a doubled edge sword as you can easily brick your tablet.

ellandry

Sep 26, 2011
Sigh. I guess I'm just getting kinda annoyed with what seems to be very limited functionality for something that costs about the same as a laptop. With a laptop it seems you get more

buteomont

Aug 19, 2011
To me, it's more of an issue of ownership. If you don't have root access, the tablet is not really yours. :)