Is your GPS working?

Nova5

Sep 11, 2011
For trips an alternate method can be done. Install ShareGPS Beta from the adroid market. Install BlueGPS on your tablet. you can now use the phone as a bluetooth gps device. also have to share the internet connection of the phone to the tablet. one app is PDAnet tablet. install on both devices during the first run select server or client as appropriate. or wifi teather.

my incredible 2's GPS locks quicker than the iconia's. plus it lets me put it on the dash for better signal reception.

I do have a functional GPS on my iconia at my house, have yet to test it elsewhere as i just got it working via this thread.

Topman

Sep 13, 2011
does gps on this tablet require internet?
or u dont need internet and it located ur current position?

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
Mine was working but after the 3.2 update yesterday it appears not to be able to lock. I can see 2 sat then it jumps to 5 but after 15 min or so it never locks.

My phone locks in seconds sitting next to it.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
As I mentioned in another thread, if you can "see" the number of satellites you are using an app that was not designed for 3.2.

Forget about that app, its misleading you.

If Google maps works and google earth works, then your GPS works fine.

Every one of the market GPS apps that I have tested fail in some way.

GPS Status is the best of a bad group, but Even GPS Status fails to properly report fixes,
even when it has your location pegged to within 50 feet, and it will report no lock just
by moving the tablet, or turning around with it in your hands, especially if you have Sensor Filtering on.
And it virtually never properly reports altitude properly.

Also, remember that your phone as the advantage of cell tower data. Your tablet doesn't. So lets stick to apples instead of throwing in oranges.

Nova5

Sep 11, 2011
in /sys/EcControl there is a GPSPower file, it contains just a number of 0 (Zero). Any idea what this file does?

stankopp

Sep 28, 2011
As I mentioned in another thread, if you can "see" the number of satellites you are using an app that was not designed for 3.2.

Forget about that app, its misleading you.

If Google maps works and google earth works, then your GPS works fine.

Every one of the market GPS apps that I have tested fail in some way.

GPS Status is the best of a bad group, but Even GPS Status fails to properly report fixes,
even when it has your location pegged to within 50 feet, and it will report no lock just
by moving the tablet, or turning around with it in your hands, especially if you have Sensor Filtering on.
And it virtually never properly reports altitude properly.

Also, remember that your phone as the advantage of cell tower data. Your tablet doesn't. So lets stick to apples instead of throwing in oranges.

Ah but, it is exactly Google Earth that has stopped functioning since my upgrade to HC 3.2...

Zhopa

Sep 26, 2011
Yes, my GPS is weird too...
I remember it was working good couple months ago - I did pre-planned route from work and it was guiding me perfectly.
Then I did 3.2 update but didn't play with GPS.
Last week I went on vacation to Cuba. I DID pre-cached map of the area I was going to. But my Iconia's Maps app never found my location... I was outdoors (on the beach) and waiting for more that 30 min but my location never showed up...
Today I tried it at home in Airplane mode - couldn't get location inside the house but when I put it really close to the window it worked. Then I took it back to computer and it was holding it.

I would imagine that GPS chip in Iconia is really weak. But I don't understand why it didn't work in Cuba - is it because of embargo, eh? (just to show that I'm from Canada :)

estimaster

Oct 31, 2011
My Acer Iconia 501 Honeycomb 3.2.

I got my position ok, but after about 10 min.
I installed iGo8 on it, but it tells me it can't find the Content folder.
Then I also installed CoPilot Live and that works up till the map which it can't find?
Does anybody know where to put the map so it can find it or is there an sys file you can edit?
I also have nDrive gps program and have the same map problem in that.
Apart from that I think it is a good unit.

estimaster

Oct 31, 2011
How do I get it back to map mode.
I am in satelite mode, but don't see any way to change back?
This is on my acer 501 iconia 3.2

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
/mnt/sdcard/copilot, i have copilot setup and my maps are loaded in copilot folder..

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Yes, my GPS is weird too...
I remember it was working good couple months ago - I did pre-planned route from work and it was guiding me perfectly.
Then I did 3.2 update but didn't play with GPS.
Last week I went on vacation to Cuba. I DID pre-cached map of the area I was going to. But my Iconia's Maps app never found my location... I was outdoors (on the beach) and waiting for more that 30 min but my location never showed up...
Today I tried it at home in Airplane mode - couldn't get location inside the house but when I put it really close to the window it worked. Then I took it back to computer and it was holding it.

I would imagine that GPS chip in Iconia is really weak. But I don't understand why it didn't work in Cuba - is it because of embargo, eh? (just to show that I'm from Canada :)
My Garmin Nuvi 1490 doesn't even pick up satelites indoors. What do you expect from thr A500?. That is down right crazy to expect a GPS to work indoors.