Jeff from NY with an SD card issue

gilren

Dec 17, 2014
Hello. I'm glad I found this site because my tablet is giving me fits. I'm using an Azpen A727 tablet with a 16GB SD card installed. In settings it shows the full 16GB space on my card, but when I go to install anythign it says I have insufficient space. Checking the Storage Use area for SD Card it says I have used 1.06GB and have 37MB free. I have some of my son's apps installed to the card but only at most the 1GB it says is actually used. I can't figure out how to get the tablet to see the other 15GB of space, because I'd really like to install some other things on this. Anyone think they can give me a hand?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Jeff, congratulations on your Azpen tablet and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people familiar with that tablet are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Hey Jeff, welcome aboard.
What are you trying to install on to the external card? Not a big tech guy, but I've heard there are size limitations that are imposed.

gilren

Dec 17, 2014
Hey Jeff, welcome aboard.
What are you trying to install on to the external card? Not a big tech guy, but I've heard there are size limitations that are imposed.

Anything I try and install over 37MB says I have insufficient space.

gilren

Dec 17, 2014
Update. I ended up returning the tablet and getting a new one, the old one was overheating badly. Same issue. The system looks at my SD card and will not install anything on it once 1GB is reached. A friend suggested rooting the tablet but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

gilren

Dec 17, 2014
It scans as a 16GB card on my PC and in the 'storage' menu on the tablet. When I go to the apps tab it says the card is only 1.08GB. It does this with any card I use.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It scans as a 16GB card on my PC and in the 'storage' menu on the tablet. When I go to the apps tab it says the card is only 1.08GB. It does this with any card I use.

Run the test program I linked you to. It actually tries to use the card, instead of believing the data on the card.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
If you didn't get a "DATA LOST" message, then it likely is a 16GB card. Have you tried another card in the tablet or formatting the card again in your PC?

gilren

Dec 17, 2014
Tried my 8GB card in it, same results. I reformatted the 16GB card a few times now, still not working. I was reading somewhere that the company has even said that the device just won't go over the 1GB, the storage card is for moving things between devices but that seems really stupid. If it won't put anything on the card after 1GB then you can't transfer things off the tablet.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I was reading somewhere that the company has even said that the device just won't go over the 1GB, the storage card is for moving things between devices but that seems really stupid.

That does sound really stupid, but apparently it's true.

If it won't put anything on the card after 1GB then you can't transfer things off the tablet.

Obviously, not anything larger than 16GB at a time.

If that's a deal breaker for you, see if you can exchange it for a different brand of tablet. (BTW All the ads for it say you can expand the storage to 32GB via the SD card.)