Kernel Development Discussion Thread

razor950

Nov 25, 2010
I made this thread to discuss kernel development with all users. I do recommend being on irc if you want to stay up to date on everything going on.

Currently, I am going to optimize the stock firmware with a few extra features and optimizations plus overclock. I will update this post with a list of the features coming and optimizations.

List of Current/Upcoming Features:
Modified Scheduler (BFQ will most likely be tested)
Modified Disk I/O and Memory Manager (Depends on a few things)
Non-OC and Overclocked Kernels (I know some of you enjoy battery life :) )
Surprise Feature(you won't know until its out :> )

Please do not post unless you really have something to say that will be useful, I don't need no thank you posts, just click the thank button if anything :)

Last edited:

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
Not a single reply?

@Razor, sorry I missed you on IRC last night, I passed out lol. I have renewed my efforts at porting clockwork but the damn kernel framebuffering swap is standing in the way. I may have some time to stop by the IRC this week, hopefully we can do something with this kernel. The s7 is falling behind other tablets in the development area, we need new recruits ;)

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Hi Razor,

Sorry I've not been on irc much over the last week or so, work has been chaos.

~Ivy

ebarcus

Jan 13, 2011
Hey guys and gals, Stepped away for a week on the build, paying attention to some "eco" projects around the house, yatta...

One area I was stomping around in pretty heavy was focusing on "s-off" methods from the HD2
some of the latest methods i want to work on are these
World's Most Rare Tricks!!~: ClockworkMod Recovery for HD2 - v1.1
via
magldr
SPLrecovery

I really want to see recovery working, after that Im all about cooking up some custom roms, already have some boot.imgs split and have a few update.zips waiting to load... to many projects to focus, will watch IRC and work with teams

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Well my kernel booted.

I didn't make any weird changes or anything. It just worked straight.

HmL0m.png

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
We can use https://github.com/cleaton/acer_kernel_koud for iptables by the way for reference, or it doesn't build properly. I will have to upload my source somewhere. Don't recall how to use GIT.

This packs boot.img. This is working, but modifications are needed to repack recovery, because the cmdline might be different that what I specify.

repack:
Code:
repack-H-S7.pl boot.img-kernel ramdisk boot.img
pack new
Code:
repack-H-S7.pl zImage ramdisk boot.img
where 'ramdisk' is the directory name. You'll see what I mean by base address in the .pl file

Still have to figure out how to compile wifi to actually make changes to the kernel :(

Attachments

• $s7_repack.zip
    13 KB · Views: 585

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Until we figure out the kernel modules, we can't play around with changing the kernel too much. I don't think wifi was included in our sources, and I don't know how to compile a working driver for it.

I'm not sure what we need for recovery.

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
Until we figure out the kernel modules, we can't play around with changing the kernel too much. I don't think wifi was included in our sources, and I don't know how to compile a working driver for it.

I'm not sure what we need for recovery.

You do have to compile the wifi driver, I'll paste the commas here when I get to my pc.

As for recovery, we need a port of clockwork. Easy enough to do once the kernel is corrected.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo

joenilan

Feb 4, 2011
well if and when the kernel is ready, would a smartass governor be able to be applied like the kernels for the HD2, just throwing that out there if you havent used or read about it before.

([13 JAN][KERNEL] -=MDJ=- s10.3 (2.6.32.28) [OC1536-BFQ-CIFS-CFS-UTF8-EXT2/3/4] - xda-developers)

"SMARTASS GOVERNOR - is based on the concept of the interactive governor. I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works - by taking over the idle loop - is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the "old" minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 245Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 245 - why?! - it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 1460/245 kernel, it will sleep at 245. No need for sleep profiles any more!"

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
well if and when the kernel is ready, would a smartass governor be able to be applied like the kernels for the HD2, just throwing that out there if you havent used or read about it before.

([13 JAN][KERNEL] -=MDJ=- s10.3 (2.6.32.28) [OC1536-BFQ-CIFS-CFS-UTF8-EXT2/3/4] - xda-developers)

"SMARTASS GOVERNOR - is based on the concept of the interactive governor. I have always agreed that in theory the way interactive works - by taking over the idle loop - is very attractive. I have never managed to tweak it so it would behave decently in real life. Smartass is a complete rewrite of the code plus more. I think its a success. Performance is on par with the "old" minmax and I think smartass is a bit more responsive. Battery life is hard to quantify precisely but it does spend much more time at the lower frequencies.
Smartass will also cap the max frequency when sleeping to 245Mhz (or if your min frequency is higher than 245 - why?! - it will cap it to your min frequency). Lets take for example the 1460/245 kernel, it will sleep at 245. No need for sleep profiles any more!"

I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to build a kernel with smartass.

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
I've got the kernel compiled and booted with a few minor changes. I will try to go through all of the changes i want to make and get a test build out in the next few days. Everything running great so far ;)

Sent from my S7

elf310

Jan 10, 2011
thats really good news, can you run cwr off of it? if so its time to start looking at aosp code and maybe skipping froyo and going right to gingerbread.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
We still need some work on recovery and the kernel source before we can cook some ROMs for Eclair, never mind other versions of Android