[Kernel Source Code] [MID8042] Requested from Coby...

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
Hey guys and gals, I have just emailed Coby and am awaiting a reply as to whether or not I can obtain the source code to their stock kernel. Provided they say yes and give me permission it will be reposted in the second post on this thread. If they say no however it may be helpful that we send them tons of emails asking the same exact thing. I will keep you in the loop on this one.

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
Its been a while now and no response. :( I (as many of you may know) am not easily discouraged. So seeing as how their tablet has many marks of open source within their closed source tablet, I have decided to not simply give up and say oh well, but to Politely (literally politely, these people don't need any encouragement to feel inclined to seek legal counsel) remind them that hiding closed source within open source as per the GPL terms of the android base kernel is frowned upon by google and it's very motivated enforcers of the whole open source world they created. I will update this shortly (maybe a week at most). Thanks for your attention. Fingers crossed people! The source built world of ROMs is within our grasp.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

This source is useless for Coby most people don't know how to use source code. Those of us who do knows this code is useless for Coby devices.
Each vendor adds their own code to the lump source, what you have here is lump source without Coby added files.
So unless you have a tablet made by telechips this code is useless, by the way telechips don't make tablets.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Coby will never release their source code, I have a good relationship with them, they won't even give me the code.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Does that mean they have a bunch of proprietary code in the kernel? Because under the GPL they have to release their sources, if I'm not mistaken.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Does that mean they have a bunch of proprietary code in the kernel? Because under the GPL they have to release their sources, if I'm not mistaken.

Most android vendors are in violation with GPL, they simply ignore GPL. Just like the speed limit sign posted 55, I drive 65 or better even though I know the posted speed limit is 55. GPL is the same way unless I take myself to the police station no one is going to do anything to me. Unless Coby reports themselves to GPL nothing is going to be done to them.

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
Most android vendors are in violation with GPL, they simply ignore GPL. Just like the speed limit sign posted 55, I drive 65 or better even though I know the posted speed limit is 55. GPL is the same way unless I take myself to the police station no one is going to do anything to me. Unless Coby reports themselves to GPL nothing is going to be done to them.
As much as I hate to agree here they finally did respond with the hella lame response of we are currently looking into this matter but due to the limited support of this device and the actions we took (outdated it) we may not be able to assist you with the source code. Please note I'm paraphrasing here. Sorry. But we did try.

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
I have contacted them again...and maybe, just maybe, this will get their attention:
Dear Support team,
I previously attempted to contact in regards to obtaining the kernel source that you ARE legally required to offer when you distribute a tablet with Busybox, and the Linux kernel as per the Terms of Service under the GPL or General Public License.
- Busybox is included, but no source, or source offer in the box, and no GPL license docs in the box.
- Linux kernel 3.0.8 is included, but no source, source code offer, or GPL license included in the box.

I have tried to polite and courteous until this point but I feel that all attempts to contact regarding this matter have been ignored. This is not intended to be either threatening or harassing but instead to be a notice that if you fail to comply with the GPL that I will be seeking legal action against the applicable parties responsible for this device: Coby Kyros MID8042-4, and during the course of this action will be included that any other devices that also failed to provide sufficient qualifying requirements in a similar way or an equal way. So far I am aware of a similar violation in regards to the "Coby Kyros 7024 MID". The post in which you may find the relevant information to this claim is listed here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...st-coby-usa-gpl-violation-kernel-busybox.html .

It is my wish to resolve this without bringing legal actions in conjunction with all affected parties (I.E. The owners of the Linux Kernel, and the Owners of BusyBox).

==============================================================

Please reply to me within 2 weeks from today August 19, 2013 or I will assume that you have no intention of doing so and will be forced to move forward and begin preparing legal action.

Thank You in advance,
***** ******* (my name was here)

P.S.
Should you wish to contact me by phone, you may reach me at +* *** *** ****

Your thoughts? And if you would like to become involved or help there are a few things I could use:
1. A comprehensive list of affected Coby MID tablets
2. What they included that violates the GPL (be specific I.E. Linux Kernel vxxx.xxx.xxx)
3. A link to or a scan of the manual showing the absence of the GPL notice of the device.
4. Copy the email from this post word for word and send it to both their support and Consumer Care emails (links at the bottom of this post)
Thanks

links
[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited:

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
[UPDATES]
**Emails were sent as of my last post...
**No response yet
**Growing response on Facebook with links to this post with the Android commmunity
**Fingers crossed and actual response hopefully with the support of some GNU lawyers readying if the don't respond
**Hope it dosn't come to that
[More UPDATES]
**No response. Period.
**Preparing document to send to appropriate parties
**Looks like it's GNU time.. :'(

Last edited: