Limited memory browser issue

Jtpboy

Sep 19, 2011
Well the limited memory by not using the sd card struck my browser last night. It. Would open but could not follow any links. You have to go into the browser settings and clear the cache and anything else that is storing data. I have uninstalled any Apps that I rarely use but still am out of space for even market updates.

We need the sd mount point fixed!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Jtpboy

Sep 19, 2011
I did some time ago. I am really aggravated about the sd card issue and the fact that I paid $100 more then what you can get this for today, that amazon won't do anything about, and that I am well past the return policy but if vizio fixes the sd issue I could overlook all the other issues.

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
What OS are you running on your device?? Is it Froyo, or gingerbread, and what is the version of your OS......

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
According to Vizio you can not download directly to the SD card. This makes using the SD card of little to no use, and so far they do not have a patch for this, according to info on their website. If I find updated how to info, I will pass it along. Maybe someone out there has a fix, but so far its a dead end.

VizioDude

Nov 1, 2011
I did some time ago. I am really aggravated about the sd card issue and the fact that I paid $100 more then what you can get this for today, that amazon won't do anything about, and that I am well past the return policy but if vizio fixes the sd issue I could overlook all the other issues.

I just bought my VTAB today at Costco, so I'm really new at this. Would you please explain what you mean by the "sd card issue" in your post? I would like to know if this is a deal breaker sized problem, or just an annoyance. - Thanks

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
I just bought my VTAB today at Costco, so I'm really new at this. Would you please explain what you mean by the "sd card issue" in your post? I would like to know if this is a deal breaker sized problem, or just an annoyance. - Thanks

This has been discussed in details in a bunch of other threads in this Vzio forum. Here is one of them:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/23405-sd-card.html

Summary: Unlike other android devices,the VTAB uses virtual sdcard memory. In other words, it uses the built-in 2GB of storage for the SDCARD storage. Although you can add a 32GB SDCARD, it can only be used for movies, music, books, etc but NO applications. So essentially we have a 2GB limit in memory for applications (not up to 32GB). So, as you load more applications you will find out very fast that the 2GB storage limit is a real problem.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
This has been discussed in details in a bunch of other threads in this Vzio forum. Here is one of them:

Summary: Unlike other android devices,the VTAB uses virtual sdcard memory. In other words, it uses the built-in 2GB of storage for the SDCARD storage. Although you can add a 32GB SDCARD, it can only be used for movies, music, books, etc but NO applications. So essentially we have a 2GB limit in memory for applications (not up to 32GB). So, as you load more applications you will find out very fast that the 2GB storage limit is a real problem.

VIZIO support is correct about one thing. The VTAB is not the only Android device that does this. Another example is the new Atrix 2 phone. Of course other devices that mount internal memory at /sdcard have at least 8 GB instead of 2.4 GB of internal storage.

Jtpboy

Sep 19, 2011
I got the dreaded insufficient memory message again this morning. It. Is really starting to get annoying. Time to uninstall some more little used apps so I can try some new ones. What a drag!

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
Would love to get some confirmation from Vizio that this can (and will) be fixed in an update soon.

VizioDude

Nov 1, 2011

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will watch for this problem. It may be the dreaded "deal breaker" for me.

VizioDude

Nov 1, 2011
I have done as suggested and submitted this to VIZIO ...

Reference #111101-000045 - Running Apps from the external SD card:

Please Vizio, I really love my VTAB1008 but the inability to run programs from the "external" SD card is a deal-breaker for me, and from what I've been reading on many forums is a deal-breaker for lots of other Vizio tab owners. This is a major problem, not some picky little nuisance. Do the right thing and put out a patch/fix for this ASAP.

Last edited:

elgordo10

Nov 1, 2011
I found this on the Vizio site by Googling the problem. It tells how to manually move apps to the sd card. You can still have problems as some apps still cache their data on the internal memory. If this doesn't help or you are already doing this then there is a real big problem here. I have moved all the apps I've downloaded to the sd card using this and haven't had any memory troubles yet.

Installing applictions (the link)

The solution..
How can I download applications directly to my SD card that is installed on my tablet?
Currently you cannot download directly to your SD card. The applications will download to the internal storage of the VIZIO tablet.
How can I move my downloaded applications to my SD card?
Follow these steps to move applications from your tablets internal storage to the SD card.
1. Settings
2. Applications
3. Manage Applications
4. Choose the Application you want to move.
5. Move to SD Card

gonzo88

Oct 29, 2011
I just finished moving some Apps to the sd card but some couldn't be moved at all. I don't have many installed but it did free up some of memory.