Lookout Question

d0lphin2

Jan 11, 2012
My trial of lookout is about to expire. I understand from reading other posts about things like android market no having malware. Is Lookout really worth paying 30.00 a year. I am not going and downloading from shady places but I do like the ability to look up the location if I lose it.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I haven't had a problem yet. You don't really need it if you are carefull. If you mainly stick to the android market you should have a problem. Amazon is another one you can download from.

I downloaded from a few major software producer web sites and have not had a problem. I can't see that being a problem.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'd say go with Lookout Free unless the extra features are worth the $30.00/year to you. Only you know that.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I agree with Spider, the free version is all you need.
Its great for finding the tablet if you misplace it or if it gets stolen. Just about everything else it does is available for free in other apps from the market or from google services, contacts, docs, picasa, music.

The one thing the paid version offers is this:
Remote Lock & Wipe: Securely lock your phone if it's lost or stolen to prevent others from accessing your phone and remotely delete sensitive data on your phone if needed.

The remote lock is easily circumvented, and the remote wipe is incomplete. (Reports on the internet indicates it can't wipe certain things, and all the fawning reviewers never bothered to actually test this).

Note that if you simply store your critical/secret items in the cloud, such as in Google Docs, etc, then a simple password change solves most of these problems.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
You can also try SeekDroid as a back up. Unlike Lookout SeekDroid is a one time fee.

Sent From Rob's RP-Hybrid Atrix.