My Acer Iconia isn't recognized by my MacBook Pro

steviej893

Mar 5, 2012
I have a MacBook Pro that I have paired with my tablet which is an Acer Iconia Tab A500. Although they have been paired using bluetooth, when I connect the tablet to the cpu via USB connection, the MacBook Pro doesn't show the tablet as a storage device. In fact it doesn't show it at all. Is there anyway to cause it to show the tablet? It gets kind of old having to reconnect the tablet to my old Windows laptop in order to move files/photos via drag n drop. Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can try dropbox which will let you sync docs across multiple devices. You'll never have to physically connect your tablet and mac again. You can also do similar things with certain file explorers such as esfile explorer which will see shared folders on your network. So share your mac's files, open ESexplorer on the tablet find the files and copy or move them to the directory of choice on your tablet or from you tablet to your mac.

Aside from that you may have to go into settings in your tablet and then look for enable mass storage or uncheck the box that says enable usb debugging.

2000roadie

Aug 12, 2011
Also Software Data Cable which is in the market has gotten good reviews from PC Mag. Don't know if it will work on Mac, but may be worth looking into.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I have a MacBook Pro that I have paired with my tablet which is an Acer Iconia Tab A500. Although they have been paired using bluetooth, when I connect the tablet to the cpu via USB connection, the MacBook Pro doesn't show the tablet as a storage device. In fact it doesn't show it at all. Is there anyway to cause it to show the tablet? It gets kind of old having to reconnect the tablet to my old Windows laptop in order to move files/photos via drag n drop. Thanks.
You may need to download a driver/utility from ACER for that. But then again...

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
when I connect the tablet to the cpu via USB connection, the MacBook Pro doesn't show the tablet as a storage device. In fact it doesn't show it at all.

Acer tablet appears as a MTP device, rather than USB storage. See: Media Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its a terrible interface for moving things back and forth. You might need to install something on the MacBook to deal with MTP.

The link above references two packages that you can install on the Mac under the Implementations heading.

steviej893

Mar 5, 2012
I finally got it to work yesterday. I went to laptopmag.com, downloaded the video and the app in the links below and my MacBook Pro shows my tablet now. Thanks for your help. If anyone else is having this problem, please share.

Website to find the android file transfer app: LAPTOP Magazine Search: android file transfer
Link to video showing how to install:

Last edited by a moderator: