Need Help!!! Coby factory wipe

Kyros 101

May 14, 2011
I am new here and ive searched high and low... My problem is that i did a factory wipe and now am missing web browser everything that was stock or what ive put on. I have gallery settings youtube but am missing everything i need to root again. everything is on the scan disk but i just cant get it on the tablet. I dont have andexplorer to manual install. What should i do? O no addlips either so i cant do anything. I tried to do a update but i get a failed witch i believe is because its the newest version

Kyros 101

May 14, 2011
the only apps i have is calculator,calibrate,car home, gallery,market (doesnt work thats why i did a wipe it kept saying your item will download but never did) music,settings,spare parts, superuser,talk,video player, you tube nothing else.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Do you have the stock recovery or the Clockwork? Either way, download the update from the Coby site and try installing it again. You've probably lost anything you've done to customize your device. It's why it is so important to backup regularly. Good luck!

kyros

May 16, 2011
Hi forgot my password... Ok what you are telling me is what ive tried already. Is there anyway to get a pc to talk to the kyros through usb because ive tried to transfer files through usb and the scan disk and nothing happens... I need to get the browser apk back on so i can download andexplorer because the apps i need are on the scan disk. Do you think ive deleted a system apk that downloads apps that are on scandisk automatically. I dont know but i need help. o also Clockwork recovery is gone too so i can download things that way that are on the scan disk. the stock revovery says faild we i try to download update zip.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
I assume when you talk about 'scan disk' you're referring to the external sdcard. Hopefully you have a card reader on your PC. If so, try these steps.

1. Put the sdcard in your PC reader. Make sure it is formatted as Fat32 with the default settings. Not quick format either but the SLOW normal format.

2. Copy the Coby update.zip to the sdcard. Put the sdcard back into the Coby (with the power off).

3. Turn on the Coby by holding the power and silver button at the same time. It should boot to the triangle android screen, release both buttons.

4. Tap the big silver back button again. The stock recovery screen should appear.

5. Select the wipe data factory reset option and reboot.

6. It will take awhile to reboot but be patient. See if you have your stock apps back. If yes then you are done. If not turn off the Coby and repeat steps 3 and 4.

7. Select the wipe data factory reset option again. Now select the apply update.zip option. It should take with no errors.

8. Reboot and all should be good again. Of course just the stock apps will be there, your customizations are gone.

Follow these steps and let us know where it fails, if it does.

kyros

May 16, 2011
I tried it now 3 days in a row... it stops at the part where i try to apply update zip and i assume its because its already updated. I think what ive done was delete the back up Browser apk and the applib apk.... so now i cant root tablet or down load a file manager or a terminal emulator ... I tried to see if i can use adb shell commands but i keep getting batch not found when i search for devices.... So what should i do. Does coby offer warranty or will they fix my device by replacing the rom. I cant take it back because it been 30 days and the return policy is only for 15 days. Whats the crazy part is that i still have superuser and the market but when i try to down load terminal from market it says starting download but it never downloads

kyros

May 16, 2011
Ive tried to place apk directly on scan disk in the hopes that the system would just download apk but it didnt

kyros

May 16, 2011
yea i tried that route and got stuck once everything was downloaded and installed... it kept saying path not found.... I tried everything and still couldnt figure it out. I appreaciate the help at least you were the only one that tried to help.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
yea i tried that route and got stuck once everything was downloaded and installed... it kept saying path not found.... I tried everything and still couldnt figure it out. I appreaciate the help at least you were the only one that tried to help.

You need to push apk's to /system/app/. You shouldn't get a path error if you type the correct path name.

kyros

May 16, 2011
The error was that it cant locate adb devices...... this part is where am stuck 8. You will see a file called android_winusb.inf. Open that file in notepad.

I did this

--- Alternatively you can just download an android_winusb.inf file with all of the modifications already done here:

rapidshare.com android_winusb.inf

--- You would then just copy over the original android_winusb.inf file in your \android-sdk-windows\usb_driver folder.

Am i suppose to copy the notepad or what does it mean to over write file... ps i didnt download the rapidshare file

kyros

May 16, 2011
why does it want me to open it in notepad? i guess i dont overwrite it unless i downloaded the file from rapidshare... i now know what am doing wrong. In notepad ill add some extra stuff hahahah i get it sorry. Last question when you push apk does it auto download or do i need a file manager to find them on scan disk.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
You only need one of the driver files. The notepad steps are to modify the generic driver. The rapidshare file is already modified.
Your last question has me a bit confused. The sdcard is not used in this case. You are pushing the apk file directly to the /system/app/ folder of the Coby internal memory. You would just reboot afterwards.
You may have to use the 'install' command also or instead of 'push'. I have not used ADB myself and not familiar with the command structure.
Maybe someone else reading this can provide an example of pushing and installing the browser.apk.
Also, make sure you have debugging checked in settings.

UPDATE: I just reread your last post. I think we have a communication problem. The apk's are in the update.zip file you should have downloaded to your PC, not the Coby. You use an extraction program like 7z to get the individual apk files to push or install on the Coby.

Last edited:

kyros

May 16, 2011
I got farther in the process but got stuck loading driver... it gave me an error. I used adb interface and not the composite one and still nothing. I gave up am ordering a new one and start from square one using the tablet to root and not windows. thanks